How has metal changed over the years for you? As bright and entranced as you first were when you heard it? Deeper appreciations? Less appreciation?

How about culture? I got into metal around 15, and now I'm 25. I see the new kids beginning their metal journey and it fills me with pride. I gave a needless recommendation to a youngster wearing a Judas Priest patch the other day.

Just makes a guy feel good when you see kids "carrying the torch." Kids 15, 16 beginning to learn the gospel of Slayer. Having patches and buying cds/tapes/whatever frivolously.

One of the reasons I stick around here and help kids get into metal in the real world. I always endorse kids to listen to metal though. Told a kid to listen to Brocas Helm, so he pulled it up on YouTube from his phone and said ""holy shit this is sick!" Who knows how much he appreciated it. Who cares. That reaction was priceless.

Aging with metal has been a journey I'd do again. Not over yet, but just got me filling with all sorts of needless emotions.
I've ended up far less concerned with quantity and finding new bands to listen to. My taste has solidified around ~85-92 period of metal, for the last 8 years or so. I was huge on black metal for a while but I lost interest in most of it. Got into doom and power metal this year more than I had in the past, though now it's pretty much just gone back to death/thrash with occasional forays into other genres.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
I've ended up far less concerned with quantity and finding new bands to listen to. My taste has solidified around ~85-92 period of metal, for the last 8 years or so. I was huge on black metal for a while but I lost interest in most of it. Got into doom and power metal this year more than I had in the past, though now it's pretty much just gone back to death/thrash with occasional forays into other genres.

Probably why listening to the same 50ish bands consistently over the past few years has worked so well for me. I don't care to listen to 100 EP's before deciding which CD to put into the car like I did 5 or 10 years ago. I just keep the few that I know I love having around. But occasionally I get that itch to listen to something outside of my typical interest.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Yeah I'm glad that I don't have to sort through a million CDs anymore lol... everything's on my phone
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
If anything I've grown an exponentially deeper appreciation for it. I grew out of the idea that Metal should have to justify itself in some way to be taken seriously as art, and interestingly enough, through that I've gained more of an appreciation for the craftsmanship involved in the songwriting. I love Metal for what it is: cool fuckin riffs and heavy as fuck, edgy music for turbonerds.

In some ways I listen to Metal more now than I did when I was younger. Really early on I mostly listened to individual songs, partially because I really just had access to like Iron Maiden and Queensryche best of CDs at the time. But when I grew past that I started getting more into Metal, listening to full albums, and exploring the roots of the music. I had a tendency to really like wanky prog shit for a while, though. Like Dream Theater and whatnot. But after a little while I started listenign to Kreator and got into extreme metal and kind of abandoned the prog wank stuff. I went through a period where I rarely listened to Metal at all, but nowadays it's honestly mostly what I listen to.
Got introduced to classic heavy metal and then thrash metal back when I was 15/16. Been headbanging ever since.

Sure there was a period of inactivity when college/job/life got in the way and left very less time for music. But the same dull job and grind got me back to heavy metal in a very big way over the years. I stuck mostly to tried and tested stuff but added more and more obscure bands to my playlists (thanks to the internet and forums like this) some of which were extremely hard to find in the non internet era. Got interested in shred/prog but lost interest quickly as well.

Also started appreciating the more extreme metal genres and have developed much more interest in doom, epic doom, doom/death and late 80s/early 90s death metal in the last few years. I was a big fan of hard rock/rock 'n roll but these days I'm almost exclusively a metal guy apart from a few classic rock/blues stuff that is just timeless. All in all I still listen to music which is from the 80s or sounds like it is from the 80s.
I can definitely relate, Jon. I wrote down a giant list of bands, including Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol, for this jr. high kid a few months ago he was elated.

Probably the most important way metal/listening to it has changed for me is coming to use the riff as the fundamental unit of measurement over anything else when judging a piece. A lot of bands are ingenious at suckering you into their albums and distracting you with huge production and so much shit going on but underneath there are no riffs and no substance. Ironically they start to receive critical acclaim when they do it. But I've learned to see through the bullshit.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

MHDrunk same here. I'm looking for less and getting rid of a lot of stuff that I would hang on to during the 'discovery' phase. I'm listening to a lot more other music too now, rather than metal - but in turn it makes me appreciate metal a lot more for what it is. At the end of the day it's probably become a lot more refined, rather than withered.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Oct 24, 2016,
I sort of travelled backwards via speed. I used to want the most, like, extreme stuff, maaaan. First I discovered BMTH (building of course on a swathe of mediocre metalcore) and went to a bukkakefest of various strands into real metal, but got big into A: the faster and more dissonant tech metal and B: mathcore. I found traditional death metal lacking in production (from that perspective back then), and lacking "oomph" and variety in riffs.

So I got into a really thick, syrupy tone/sound. Got into stoner rock and metal as a result of that and quickly segued into sludge as a result, but with a taste for dissonance and such too. Then I just liked slower and slower stuff. I'm much more open to less polished production now, but anything with a slow, powerful sound gets me going, providing good riffs and even more importantly good structure are there.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I started very young and it's looking like it was a teenage thing for me, albeit one I still carry with me in some form. Two of my favourite bands still play metal.

I purged my iTunes the other day and found myself wondering how much I really enjoyed the heaps and heaps of death and black metal I had. I still really like some of it, but vanishingly little compared to what I did or claimed to as a nipper.

Like any music head I love recommending things to people, and will happily do so if I think someone's got the taste for it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Oct 23, 2016,
Started listening to/playing Metal at 15. I have closed that chapter and am essentially over it. Little interest in my early influences and no interest at all in new stuff.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Into my 30s and have got to the point where I know exactly what I like and the passion for it has never been greater, my interests are narrower and my tolerance for anything else is absolute zero.

I used to love the discovery but there comes a time when everything you hear is either garbage or just tired and over done.
Shadilay.
Tastes have become more refined over the years. Started with death and thrash at 15, ended up taking a break at 18 and then getting back into it with black metal. Went through the huge 10 albums a week discovery phase with most other guys here. It was exciting and new and fun.

I look now for certain ideals and craftsmanship in the music as opposed to an overall aesthetic. Been listening to lots of 80s/90s post punk and goth bands recently, before that was electronics and vaporwave. Still have a hunger for dirty death and black. Always nice to have Blood Fire Death or Blessed are the Sick for special occasions and just take it in
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I'm pretty much in the same boat here as you, went away totally from metal for a few years but came back and now spend more time listening to the 'classics' than before. The more I've broadened my horizons listening-wise the more I appreciate great metal, the less tolerance I have for the mediocre stuff.

Definitely gotten to a point where I feel like I'll be "metal for life", and I'm proud of it. Going back to local metal shows has been great because there's a distinct lack of posturing and attempting to be 'cool', which every other 'scene' I've been involved in reeks of. There's just a genuine love of good riffs and too much denim.
calumkwest1

This was me, fuck know's what's going on there.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I recognized the name, my Canadian inclinations just thought you wanted a new account. What was the problem?
Turns out it was because I just bought one of those TabPro subscriptions.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
@duncang kinda curious what it is that you still enjoy? care to drop a few mentions?

@thread I still like a lot of stuff I went through the years with but also yeah kinda fall back on more on the ones I personally deem classics [some not shared by the community per say lol] but there's not many periods of stagnancy if there have ever been any. Personally my tastes outside of metal seem to be broad enough to keep me from burning out so maybe that's part of it... It is still is a great majority of my over all music catalog though.

Agreed at the riff thing also I guess my newer kick of being able to tab stuff from some of my favorite bands has kept the passion burning. So many of my favorite bands no attention and always make me wonder "how the hell do you play that" and every so often I sit down and figure it out. Despite of my love of other genres like Baroque and Tango I still always find a sense of wonder and bewilderment at some of the musical ideas of certain bands and their riffs
Yeah I've got to say, I don't have the drive to find new bands and search for new metal music. Even new albums from bands I like (save a few such as Atlantean Kodex, WHW, etc) I don't even listen to. Last Helloween album I heard was 7 Sinners lol. Compare that to synthwave, which I can't stop searching for new groups. I still love listening to Blind Guardian and the like, but I don't really go out of my way to find new bands.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Last edited by Helloween4Ever at Dec 20, 2016,
I'm the name mentioned in linear notes, the figure drinking with the band after the show. Metal has aged with me like a whiskey funeral. I'm a torch kept alight by Satan's fire. My life is a world without end. Grew my hair and shaved my head. Sordid past, denim vest, too many drinks. You can see the Metal on me.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Dec 21, 2016,
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
@duncang kinda curious what it is that you still enjoy? care to drop a few mentions?

The very best of what I got into during adolescence, I suppose. Cult of Luna, Iron Maiden and Every Time I Die are among my favourite bands, and I'll still listen to death/black metal classics and the In Flames that got into my bloodstream as a youngster. Can't think of a metal band I've discovered and stuck with in the last few years, though the new Oranssi Pazuzu album has made me a proper fan.

Quote by progbass
I look now for certain ideals and craftsmanship in the music as opposed to an overall aesthetic.

Glad some things don't change!
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
i find that most older metalheads can't really get intot he really heavy death metal stuff like children of bodom or lamb of God, but I guess that's jsut b/c of when they grew up when bands like Slayer and Anthrax were popular
Edit: Sorry about the length... got a bit carried away

I still love heavy music & listen a lot, but like a lot of the other guys have said, I'm not as adventurous when it comes to seeking out new bands. Occasionally, maybe 3-4x a year I will devote a bit of time to check out what's out there with varying degrees of success. Back in July Despite release Synergi which I think is a damn good slice of modern metal. Around the same time I "discovered" the awesomeness of Mercyful Fate (back in my younger days I couldn't stand the high pitched wailing, but I love it now & can see how much Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer ripped MF's sound.) I guess I try to balance respecting tradition & looking at what's progressing. At the same time, I know I've sort of explored metal almost as thoroughly as I'm comfortable with. There might be a handful of groups out there that I'll like, but 99% of what's out there will sound like a re-hash of something else I've already listened to... and I'm not going to spend hours of every week searching for that 1% of shit I'll kinda-sorta like. That's why it's easy for people to stick with their "personal classics."

Something I've noticed in the "real world" is that there are so many sub-cultures of rock music, that even though two or three people like metal music, each person will have a vastly different definition of what metal music is. A lot of that depends on generational differences too. The Old Guard, so to speak, still bows to the Altar of Sabbath. The middle-aged guys still swing to Pantera, LoG, & KsE. The New Kids are all about BMTH, Periphery, AAL & such. All of those groups & their peers make markedly different kinds of music, but still somehow falls under the umbrella of metal. This has some big significance when it comes to the culture of metal, because in the old days, if a group of people liked similar music, you could be reasonably certain that all of 'em were "cut from the same cloth." Nowadays, there's so much variety, which is great, but it also leads to a bit of segregation. The guys who grew up on Slayer & Metallica are pretty different from all these cats with 8 string guitars & the new kids might look at Slayer as boring, one-dimensional Dad Rock.

I'd guess that the people on this forum are not the kind of people to subscribe to any one of those sections of metal fan-dom, but more act as Metal Librarians. We are intimately familiar with the greats & deeply knowledgable on a lot of the "lesser-knowns" from all the generations of metal. Most of you guys can probably look at the album cover & listen to 2 minutes of a bands music, then make a pretty solid estimation of what kind of music the band plays, & what kind of people might like it. For most people, listening to music is a passive activity... background sound that happens while they're doing something else. I'd expect that most of us are more active listener types... we know the song titles, the lyrics, who was in the band during what years, the solo albums & side-projects. All that being said, there comes a point where you've listened to so much metal & your brain becomes so saturated with dissonance & distortion that you find yourself looking for music outside the umbrella of "rock music." You start venturing to classical guitarists, jazz, pop... whatever you can stomach that breaks the monotony of All Metal, All the Time. But it's rare that anything will ever resonate so strongly as the music that shaped us.
Last edited by guitgrinder at Dec 31, 2016,
Metal librarians. Keepers to the knowledge and history of metal. Charming.

Also Duncang, still a knob I see, so I guess things don't change too much.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
MetalShredder98 I'm literally the exact opposite, I turned 50 this year and my tastes have simply gotten WIDER but generally much heavier and extreme. I'm enthralled by black metal where before I just thought it was noise and bad singing. NOW, holy hell I can't get enough.  I was in a RUT for about a decade (a shitty marriage had at least something to do with it), but I _LOVE_ to find new bands!!  The classics (Darkthrone, Mayhem, Dark Funeral) all the way to newer extremes (Goatwhore, Skeletonwitch) just get me more exited about how Metal has progressed over >3 decades to the point I took up guitar last year.  I just with I was 25 again :-)