How has metal changed over the years for you? As bright and entranced as you first were when you heard it? Deeper appreciations? Less appreciation?

How about culture? I got into metal around 15, and now I'm 25. I see the new kids beginning their metal journey and it fills me with pride. I gave a needless recommendation to a youngster wearing a Judas Priest patch the other day.

Just makes a guy feel good when you see kids "carrying the torch." Kids 15, 16 beginning to learn the gospel of Slayer. Having patches and buying cds/tapes/whatever frivolously.

One of the reasons I stick around here and help kids get into metal in the real world. I always endorse kids to listen to metal though. Told a kid to listen to Brocas Helm, so he pulled it up on YouTube from his phone and said ""holy shit this is sick!" Who knows how much he appreciated it. Who cares. That reaction was priceless.

Aging with metal has been a journey I'd do again. Not over yet, but just got me filling with all sorts of needless emotions.
I've ended up far less concerned with quantity and finding new bands to listen to. My taste has solidified around ~85-92 period of metal, for the last 8 years or so. I was huge on black metal for a while but I lost interest in most of it. Got into doom and power metal this year more than I had in the past, though now it's pretty much just gone back to death/thrash with occasional forays into other genres.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
I've ended up far less concerned with quantity and finding new bands to listen to. My taste has solidified around ~85-92 period of metal, for the last 8 years or so. I was huge on black metal for a while but I lost interest in most of it. Got into doom and power metal this year more than I had in the past, though now it's pretty much just gone back to death/thrash with occasional forays into other genres.

Probably why listening to the same 50ish bands consistently over the past few years has worked so well for me. I don't care to listen to 100 EP's before deciding which CD to put into the car like I did 5 or 10 years ago. I just keep the few that I know I love having around. But occasionally I get that itch to listen to something outside of my typical interest.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Yeah I'm glad that I don't have to sort through a million CDs anymore lol... everything's on my phone
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
If anything I've grown an exponentially deeper appreciation for it. I grew out of the idea that Metal should have to justify itself in some way to be taken seriously as art, and interestingly enough, through that I've gained more of an appreciation for the craftsmanship involved in the songwriting. I love Metal for what it is: cool fuckin riffs and heavy as fuck, edgy music for turbonerds.

In some ways I listen to Metal more now than I did when I was younger. Really early on I mostly listened to individual songs, partially because I really just had access to like Iron Maiden and Queensryche best of CDs at the time. But when I grew past that I started getting more into Metal, listening to full albums, and exploring the roots of the music. I had a tendency to really like wanky prog shit for a while, though. Like Dream Theater and whatnot. But after a little while I started listenign to Kreator and got into extreme metal and kind of abandoned the prog wank stuff. I went through a period where I rarely listened to Metal at all, but nowadays it's honestly mostly what I listen to.
Got introduced to classic heavy metal and then thrash metal back when I was 15/16. Been headbanging ever since.

Sure there was a period of inactivity when college/job/life got in the way and left very less time for music. But the same dull job and grind got me back to heavy metal in a very big way over the years. I stuck mostly to tried and tested stuff but added more and more obscure bands to my playlists (thanks to the internet and forums like this) some of which were extremely hard to find in the non internet era. Got interested in shred/prog but lost interest quickly as well.

Also started appreciating the more extreme metal genres and have developed much more interest in doom, epic doom, doom/death and late 80s/early 90s death metal in the last few years. I was a big fan of hard rock/rock 'n roll but these days I'm almost exclusively a metal guy apart from a few classic rock/blues stuff that is just timeless. All in all I still listen to music which is from the 80s or sounds like it is from the 80s.
I can definitely relate, Jon. I wrote down a giant list of bands, including Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol, for this jr. high kid a few months ago he was elated.

Probably the most important way metal/listening to it has changed for me is coming to use the riff as the fundamental unit of measurement over anything else when judging a piece. A lot of bands are ingenious at suckering you into their albums and distracting you with huge production and so much shit going on but underneath there are no riffs and no substance. Ironically they start to receive critical acclaim when they do it. But I've learned to see through the bullshit.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

MHDrunk same here. I'm looking for less and getting rid of a lot of stuff that I would hang on to during the 'discovery' phase. I'm listening to a lot more other music too now, rather than metal - but in turn it makes me appreciate metal a lot more for what it is. At the end of the day it's probably become a lot more refined, rather than withered.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Oct 24, 2016,
I sort of travelled backwards via speed. I used to want the most, like, extreme stuff, maaaan. First I discovered BMTH (building of course on a swathe of mediocre metalcore) and went to a bukkakefest of various strands into real metal, but got big into A: the faster and more dissonant tech metal and B: mathcore. I found traditional death metal lacking in production (from that perspective back then), and lacking "oomph" and variety in riffs.

So I got into a really thick, syrupy tone/sound. Got into stoner rock and metal as a result of that and quickly segued into sludge as a result, but with a taste for dissonance and such too. Then I just liked slower and slower stuff. I'm much more open to less polished production now, but anything with a slow, powerful sound gets me going, providing good riffs and even more importantly good structure are there.
I started very young and it's looking like it was a teenage thing for me, albeit one I still carry with me in some form. Two of my favourite bands still play metal.

I purged my iTunes the other day and found myself wondering how much I really enjoyed the heaps and heaps of death and black metal I had. I still really like some of it, but vanishingly little compared to what I did or claimed to as a nipper.

Like any music head I love recommending things to people, and will happily do so if I think someone's got the taste for it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Oct 23, 2016,
Started listening to/playing Metal at 15. I have closed that chapter and am essentially over it. Little interest in my early influences and no interest at all in new stuff.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis