Hey guys and gals!

I thought this may be the best place to post this:

I'm sort of a wierdo in my live performance. I play a classical nylon acoustic, tuned a full-step down (for vocal range purposes).

Of course I don't like the floppiness of the strings and their propensity to break easier from rattling around.

My only solution so far has been to buy high-tension strings, which helps a little. I'm wondering if you have any solutions/ideas.

Guitar shops have told me..."Well, tune your guitar to pitch!" or "Play a steel-string!"

Wondering if you have any further ideas.

I always appreciate it,

-Zack
Quote by zackdavidmusic

I'm sort of a wierdo in my live performance. I play a classical nylon acoustic, tuned a full-step down (for vocal range purposes).

Tune your guitar to standard and learn how to transpose (for vocal range porpoises).

I think retuning your guitar is lazy and learning how to transpose (to the point where you can do it on the fly) will make you a much better guitar player (there, *that* pissed off a few people...).

I learned to transpose early on when playing sax (can't retune one one of those). Same with a piano ("I play on the white keys. I play on the black keys. But always you sing in the cracks!"). Backing singers who lean over and whisper, "Can you do this in G?" just before they start the song sort of shortstops the whole "Hold on, I need the grand piano that's tuned to G" business.

That said, electronics makes it easier.

I have Variax guitars, and I've gotten lazy on more than one occasion. I've learned some pretty complicated rock songs in the original key (including some tough solos) only to have a singer walk in and announce that he can't hit the high notes in the original key. While everyone else is rolling their eyes and scribbling furiously on sheet music, I can just rotate a dial on the Variax and play the song exactly as I learned it and what comes out of the amp/mixer is the new key. One stop? Two stops? Yessir, here you are. And I sure hope you get over that lack of talent, sir. Why more guitarists don't even KNOW about these guitars is beyond me.

The same can happen with keyboards. I've been so used to transposing on a keyboard that it took someone else pointing out to me that a lot of modern keyboards (mine included) can transpose the whole keyboard up or down, in my case with a few pokes at a touchscreen. It's *very* lazy. It's also very dangerous, and I was howling at a YouTube of a keyboardist for a Van Halen concert who started a song with his keyboard transposed electronically to the wrong key. I wonder if he still works with Eddie.

It's also very expensive, if you're the guy who needs to change a guitar to a different key every few songs. Works for the GooGoo Dolls, but John Rzeznik needs racks of guitars to pull it off.
Heavier gauge strings or tune to 440 and transpose. I have done both and prefer to play my electric 1/2 step down because Jimi, Eddie, and Stevie were right.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
I have the reverse problem, a 24"scale in standard tuning used with nylon strings. The only solution I have found is hard tension, something like DÁddario Ej44, which are extra hard tension.