i am planning on getting a chisel or anvil for my fender showmaster.

it is a single humbucker, and i want something nice and chunky for rhythm (which they seem to excel at), but i still want smoothness for creamy leads.

i am leaning towards the chisel. plenty of gain and may do a little better at the balance of output for different levels of gain.

BUT! how do they do split? i think that may help get a little bit better cleans with it. i hate single pickup guitars and i want a decent balance.
_____

then my other thoughts are lace, but i can't decide which

the nitro hemi is intriguing, i am reading that it splits well. and noise free. but i have no idea what to go with.

and yes i have two of these guitars, only one is up for the pickup swap at the moment.

_____

the two things that i ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT, i don't want it to be over $100, and i don't want to have to wait to get one wound and wait and have to deal with that shit. i would prefer just to go with musicians friend, and i can get either for $80-$90 on a sale (which as we all know they have sales every other day... lol).

_____

the guitar won't go under C# std, under any circumstance, but i am not sure where it will reside. as far as music, metal in general. everything from dream theater to sleep to shadows fall to lamb of god. if it doesn't do exactly what i want, its not a huge deal (sounds dumb right), but i have another dozen guitars or more to cover what i need. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have Chisels and like them. I think they're better for what you're asking than the Anvil. But the axe I have them in is a completely stock Reverend- no splitting, just the bass contour knob.

Here's a couple of reviews:
http://www.lonephantom.com/2012/03/railhammer-chisel-neck-humbucker-review/
http://www.lonephantom.com/2012/03/railhammer-chisel-bridge-humbucker-review/

There's a TGP thread mentioning the volume drop when splitting a HyperVintage, but that was the only gripe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
What about the Duncan Slug? Or, is that too much humbucker for you?
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk

may a bit too 'buckery for me. if you can handle it lol.

fuck!?!?!?! 48kohm what the hell does anybody need that much for. haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by ThunderPunk

The slug is a really specialized pickup. I think it's made from drone, stoner and sludge. You could probably power your house off it's hot lead.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The slug is a really specialized pickup. I think it's made from drone, stoner and sludge. You could probably power your house off it's hot lead.

haha. that is what i was thinking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

I quite like the Billy Corgin Railhammers that I have. That's more of a P90 than a humbucker though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Lace, I just really like their stuff. been waitng to get some spare cash to put new ones in my otherstrat
Quote by monwobobbo
Lace, I just really like their stuff. been waitng to get some spare cash to put new ones in my otherstrat

OT: what models (i realize you are talking SC's)?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
OT: what models (i realize you are talking SC's)?

well I'm looking at a couple of the newer colors for strats. I think burgundy (or maybe it was emerald) was one of them. I want a little more balls than the typical strat pickup but still less than say the blue (and certainly less than red). glassy cleans aren't what I'm shooting for but I still want it to sound like a strat (if that makes sense). I'm going for a great blues rock tone that will clean up but never has to be perfectly clean. my Strat Plus has a blue in the bridge and silvers in the neck and middle. I'm also considering all silvers but I don't know yet.
Quote by monwobobbo
well I'm looking at a couple of the newer colors for strats. I think burgundy (or maybe it was emerald) was one of them. I want a little more balls than the typical strat pickup but still less than say the blue (and certainly less than red). glassy cleans aren't what I'm shooting for but I still want it to sound like a strat (if that makes sense). I'm going for a great blues rock tone that will clean up but never has to be perfectly clean. my Strat Plus has a blue in the bridge and silvers in the neck and middle. I'm also considering all silvers but I don't know yet.

I have a tele+, that is what got me to become a fan of lace.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup

never played a tele plus. not much on tele's but I'd like to try one of those. the only tele I've played that I really liked was an early 70s model that had the humbucker in the neck and separate volume and tone controls for each pickup, forget the name. I played one years ago though when I sat in with a band that played Grateful Dead type music (I don't so it was ummm..... interesting)
monwobobbo, if you were looking for the perfect clean, the singlecoil Alumitones would have been the ticket.

I won't shoot down the Lace Sensors, 'cause they're excellent.  But there are some other options out there worth noting- check out Lollar, Wilde, Rio Grande, Vintage Vibe, Kent Armstrong, The Creamery, Bareknuckle, and the Tesla OPUS S1.

A word about Wildes: there's a Fender/G&L type thing going on. I have an in-law who is a gigging musician in NOLA, and his #1 is a '70s Strat with Bill Lawrence pickups. Their sound is killer, But due to all kinds of legal wranglings, there is a "Bill Lawrence USA" company still selling his old designs, but that hasn't been associate with him since 1984. Bill & Becky founded Wilde, and continue selling old & new designs under that name.

I can't say if the BL USA sound like the originals or the Wildes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
monwobobbo, if you were looking for the perfect clean, the singlecoil Alumitones would have been the ticket.

I won't shoot down the Lace Sensors, 'cause they're excellent.  But there are some other options out there worth noting- check out Lollar, Wilde, Rio Grande, Vintage Vibe, Kent Armstrong, The Creamery, Bareknuckle, and the Tesla OPUS S1.

A word about Wildes: there's a Fender/G&L type thing going on. I have an in-law who is a gigging musician in NOLA, and his #1 is a '70s Strat with Bill Lawrence pickups. Their sound is killer, But due to all kinds of legal wranglings, there is a "Bill Lawrence USA" company still selling his old designs, but that hasn't been associate with him since 1984. Bill & Becky founded Wilde, and continue selling old & new designs under that name.

I can't say if the BL USA sound like the originals or the Wildes.

thanx I'm aware of most of what you mentioned (thanx for the Bill Lawrence info though). as I mentioned I'm not looking for the usual clean fender tone at all. I like my strat tones a little dirty to down right nasty. I've mentioned the Gary Moore song Cold Hearted as a benchmark tone. I have a few others as well. it will be a while before I have the spare cash t really think about it so I will do some more investigating. I do really lie LSers though.
Take a harder look at Rio Grandes. Their line includes hot strat & singlecoil sized HBs like many others, but also unconventional options like singlecoil-sized P90s.

Vintage Vibe and Lollar both offer SC-sized Charlie Christians, which lie between P90s and Strat pups. I have a VV CC in the bridge of a Teleclone.

Here's Tim Lerch demoing Lollar CCs in his Tele, with some dirt:

alhaq369
HB sized P90's from Vintage Vibe are awesome. I have a 7 string one from him and it's the best pup I've ever owned.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification