So i'm making an explorer style guitar for a project in my woodshop class. I have plans of a 58 explorer, but they include a cavity for a 3-way switch that will be covered with a pick guard (I think). I'm going to cut the body and route all the cavities needed on our CNC machine but I don't want to put a pick guard on this guitar, and I dont think a 3-way switch is needed. If I were to remove the cavities for the 3-way all together, what would have to be done wiring wise? I know nothing about electronics and barely anything about guitar building, so i'm just wondering if removing the cavities and instead drilling a hole from the pickup cavities to the control cavity where the volume and tone knobs are would be okay.
Attachments:
Gibson-Explorer-58.pdf
You mean drill through the wood? You basically drill through the pickup holes to connect to the electronics cavity in the back a hole wide enough to pass the wires through it. Like this guy:

You will have to also have to drill for the 3 way switch, there is a little cover for that on the back on most Explorers, or mount it in the electronics cavity next to the pots, or you're not using that?

You could possibly do away with the 3 way switch and put in a push/pull pot on the volume pot that will select either front or back pickup but can't blend them.

I think that should probably be the bare minimum wiring, it just doesn't make much sense without the 3 way switch as the fun in that guitar is blending in the two pickups IMO.

With minimum routing you can do this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-1984-EXPLORER-EX-AW-electric-guitar-NEW-Free-Shipping-From-Japan/112158926371?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39035%26meid%3De0e661ad596044ada675849783a50cdf%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D302071179635

This is the standard wiring for this guitar above:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T11_00/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch1-Volume0Tone000.html

Here's what the guitar should look from the back:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EX84EBBH3/
(disregard the rectangular battery compartment - that is only installed on active pickup guitars)
Last edited by diabolical at Oct 7, 2016,
Having a 3-way switch isn't strictly necessary, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want one. Being able to switch pickups efficiently is a good thing and wiring one in takes no effort at all.

Not having a pickguard will make no difference to the wiring. If you choose to have a switch, you can simply put it in the control cavity along with everything else.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
T00DEEPBLUE
Okay so the cavity in which it was originally planned to go in could be removed all together? And I could just move the 3-way next to the tone and volume knobs and then drill from the pickups to control cavity to wire it in?
Quote by brandon.ferrones04
T00DEEPBLUE
Okay so the cavity in which it was originally planned to go in could be removed all together? And I could just move the 3-way next to the tone and volume knobs and then drill from the pickups to control cavity to wire it in?

Yes. Plenty explorers do it that way. The 84 Explorer and the Lawsuit era ESP MX guitars are done in that style.

I prefer it actually. It looks cleaner.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by brandon.ferrones04
T00DEEPBLUE

It's like I didn't write a post at all