I've had my Diezel Herbert since 2013 (got it used, it's from 2007 and still has the original tubes) and I was thinking of doing a partial tube swap.

I was thinking of removing 2 of the power tubes to something else (maybe kt66, kt77, kt88, 6550, 6l6, 6v6 I don't know) to go along with the el34's that are already in it.

I'm looking to make the amp sound less compressed and more open with more dynamics... and some how with more saturation/sag. - I feel like 2 6l6's with the el34's might be the best bet but 6v6's sound better to me in tweeds.

Because of my cab/speaker choices the amp sounds way different then most Herbert setups but I feel a few more changes are needed to get it to where I want it...
Last edited by MindIsMaster at Oct 7, 2016,
Quote by MindIsMaster
I've had my Diezel Herbert since 2013 (got it used, it's from 2007 and still has the original tubes) and I was thinking of doing a partial tube swap.

I was thinking of removing 2 of the power tubes to something else (maybe kt66, kt77, kt88, 6550, 6l6, 6v6 I don't know) to go along with the el34's that are already in it.

I'm looking to make the amp sound less compressed and more open with more dynamics... and some how with more saturation/sag. - I feel like 2 6l6's with the el34's might be the best bet but 6v6's sound better to me in tweeds.

Because of my cab/speaker choices the amp sounds way different then most Herbert setups but I feel a few more changes are needed to get it to where I want it...
Are you able to actually do that with the amp? I know it allows some power tube swapping but I am not sure of the extent of the mix matching you can do.

Also, if the tubes are almost 10 years old they may just be worn enough that an entire tube complement will make the amp sound a lot better and get you what you are looking for.
Quote by MindIsMaster

Sounds like you need an Orange Dual Dark 100.

I've never bothered with tube mixing in mine. People over at RT like the KT77s and if you're thinking of trying the 6L6s with the EL34s, keep the bias between 60 and 70 mA (same as the KT77s). The sweet spot for most is 67.5.

I don't think the 6V6 will work. Check with Diezel!

If you're unhappy with the V30 speakers, Diezel also offers the K100s in 412, which may help it move closer to what you need. To me, the K100s sound great only with high gain monsters like Diezels and Bogners.
Quote by Will Lane
yeah I guess maybe I should consider a full retubing

Quote by Ippon
I don't have a Diezel cab - I have an Olde Crow Cab (think orange 4x12 but built way better) I have 4 celestions in it; alnico cream and alnico gold on the top and a creamback 75 with a V30 on the bottom.

I've read forums of people mixing power tubes in the amp - I was just looking for some opinions to help get it where I want it for myself.
Quote by MindIsMaster
anyone with a herbert or experience with one got anything to say/share?

The only other UGer I'm aware who has a Herbert is Matrixclaw.

I'd seriously consider looking at your speaker choices also. V30s or K100s are the way to go with the Diezels.
Try moving your setup around the room, or to different bigger rooms, or even test it outside. I just recently realized that in my little studio in my basement, there is basically a bad bass null anywhere in the room that is more than like 3 feet from any wall (I know playing near a wall adds more artifical bass, but for some reason in my room, this shelf bass boost near a wall sounds more accurate to what I hear in the real world). So now i am basically sitting and playing with my amp against the wall pointed down the wall and my shoulder against the wall.

Tl;dr- dont underestimate your room acoustics. Could be killing your low end and ruining the warmth of your sound.

If you move your setup around and find that ot isnt acoustics, then I would resort to changing your speaker selection. I dont think that all v30s are the answer, but thats just my opinion. Id probably do k100s or g12-t75s maybe, but use plenty of mids on your amp
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69