My friend has a few Squier P-Bass's he wants me to pretty up..WAnts better pups in two of them..Now,I'm a guitar guy,know nothing about bass pickups..What's a good place to look? Seems my usual "guys" only have guitar pickups.Are the pups even worth changing unless I spend 180 bucks or more ringtones?
Last edited by vandexa1 at Oct 11, 2016,
Why bother, spend the money on a J-retro active kit.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
My Squier P-Bass

Upgrade:
Gotoh High Mass 201 bass bridge, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound SPB-3, Dunlop Straplok
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Oct 7, 2016,
It's up to your buddy if it's worth it or not. If he really likes his Squiers and just wants to tweak the tone and hotrod them, then changing out to some good pickups would be worth a look.

If he's looking for a significantly better bass though, or for something totally different than a P bass he's better off saving up his pennies for a new bass. A pickup swap is not going to turn a Precision into something it's not.

I'd suggest taking a look at Best Bass Gear's selection of Precision pickups: http://www.bestbassgear.com/precision-bass.htm
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^this. And if he's looking to tweek the tone, it would be helpful to know what he doesn't like about his current one, and what he's looking for.

The SD Quarter Pounders get recommended a bit and they're affordable. I have a set in my AccuBass. But if he isn't looking for a bright and punchy tone, its the wrong way to go.
I've just bought a very scruffy Squier P-Bass; my intention is to use it as a playpen to try bits out on and see how things go.

I've got a feeling that, in a year or so I'll have changed every part of it and be proclaiming it's like my old broom (only changed the handle twice and the head three times, but it's still going strong!).