I'm on a song plateau right now. I'm kinda stuck on what I want to learn and shift from song to song, so I was hoping someone could give me some challenging but fun songs to play and impress people with. As said in the title, I'm an intermediate guitarist and I can play stuff like Paranoid (including the solo), Californication, any Green Day song you could care to mention, The Trooper etc. Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't really class myself as advanced player per se but here's a few rock songs that really pushed me ability when I was at your sort of level:

Phantom Of The Opera by Iron Maiden
Crossroads by Cream
The Final Cut by Coheed and Cambria
Black Dog by Led Zeppelin
Oblivion by Mastodon
Master of Puppets by Metallica
One by Metallica

Most of the songs have simple parts that should came fairly easy but they have more complicated parts which are quite difficult to nail 100%. The next step after that, and the step that made the biggest difference in terms of my playing ability, was joining a band! Learning to play in time was key and I was lucky enough to join a band where the other guitar player was far better than me. Competitive spirit kicked in and soon as I was nipping at his heels!
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
Quote by rich.bendall
Phantom Of The Opera by Iron Maiden
Crossroads by Cream
The Final Cut by Coheed and Cambria
Black Dog by Led Zeppelin
Oblivion by Mastodon
Master of Puppets by Metallica
One by Metallica

I'll add Mtallica's Shortest Straw the timing of that intro is tricky and jumping between the chords at that speed is not easy, I struggled with it until a read a Hetfield interview where he explained that he uses what he calls "economy of motion" that technique alone helped improve my playing tenfold.

In that intro he plays the open E power chord with his ring finger which allows him to quickly fret the 1st and 3rd power chord with his first finger and pinky. Most people use their first and ring finger for two finger power chords but if you can also use your middle and pinky or first and pinky it makes a big difference.

If you want to test your picking endurance Metallica's Creeping Death is a good one for all downpicking or Slayer's War Ensemble for insane alternate picking speed.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 7, 2016,
Please use the song suggestion thread in Musician Talk, and be aware of what forum you're posting in (this is obviously not about electric guitars). Thanks!