Hey guys can you help me out with this,

So me and my friends stared jamming one day and we jammed in the chord progression of : Em , C , G , D
it sounded good but then i added G# to the Em chord on the g string and made that E maj , it became somewhat cool yet tragic sounding, an i started to build a random solo however the problem is that i played the solo in E aeolian it was ok but when i added G# at the 13th fret 3rd string to this E aeolian it now matched the chords ,
the New chord progression is E,C,G,D
( the change was somewhat like this http://www.filedropper.com/newsongintro )
( This was the solo i played at that time http://www.filedropper.com/jamintrosolomp3cutnet

[p.s it was random and the rec. quality is not good because it was recorded with a phone mic when we were jamming]

> the first thing i want to know is what is the name of this scale? if it has one :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12---14---16---
---------------------------------------------------------------------------12---13---15----------------------
---------------------------------------------------------13---14---16----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------12--14---16----------------------------------------------------------
---------------------12---14---15----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-12---14---16------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> The second thing i wanna know is how this this scale fits over inspite of all chords being major now? ,

> The third thing is : How can solo over these chord changes? please help me out

the solo i played during the jam session , was just random and was based on that scale i mentioned above , after sometime i threw some maj arpeggios like Cmaj , Emaj7 arpeggios etc to extend the solo which again sounded awesome, and

> finally the last thing my noob ass wanna know is which arpeggios, modes , scales etc should i incorporate to improve the solo more?

sorry is these questions beginner, Thanks
and feel free to correct me on any thing , because i am here to learn

Thank You.

About me :

i am a self taught guitarist , i learned guitar by analysing videos of some other guitarist, i can play various things and have numerous techniques like sweep picking, alternate picking , lagato, hybrid picking, two handed tapping , some string skipping stuff in my arsenal, i already learnt scales,modes some basic music theory like notes in a scales and all that stuff , but i am not good at it thobecause nobody taught me, i learn by myself,
Em C G D is a pretty basic progression in E minor. When you change the E minor to E major, you are just using a major tonic chord in a minor progression. The other chords (C, G and D) are still from E minor. And because they are from E minor, you can just use E minor scale over them.

When it comes to playing over the E major chord, E and B are in the E minor scale, G# is not. So you just need to change the G to G#. You could also just use E major scale (or E major pentatonic) over the E major chord and E minor scale over the rest.

the first thing i want to know is what is the name of this scale?

The scale does have a name ("E harmonic major"), but whether you should call it that in this context is another question. In this context I wouldn't treat it as a separate scale - you are just using an accidental to fit the harmony. It's just the E minor scale with a major third - that's what you should call it in this context. It is not a separate scale, you are just using accidentals.

The second thing i wanna know is how this this scale fits over inspite of all chords being major now?

The scale fits quite well because it's just one note different from E minor (and all of the other chords are diatonic to E minor). But you should be careful with using that G# over chords that have a G in them (C major and G major).

finally the last thing my noob ass wanna know is which arpeggios, modes , scales etc should i incorporate to improve the solo more?

You should learn about harmony and you should use your ears.

Arpeggios? Well, arpeggios are just chords played one note at the time, so the obvious choices would be E major over E major, C major over C major, G major over G major and D major over D major. But you can of course also add sevenths and extensions to them.

Modes? Forget about them for now. They have little to do with anything you are trying to do. (Modes have nothing to do with improvising over a tonal chord progression.)

Scales? Use the E minor scale and experiment with some accidentals. Figure out how those accidentals relate to the chords you are playing over.

Learn about harmony and use your ears and it will make a lot more sense.

If you want to improve your solo, note choice is not the only thing you should be worried about. A good solo is a lot about rhythm and phrasing, it's not all about the note choice. So pay attention to that kind of stuff. A lot of great solos use notes in just one major/minor scale. What makes them great is not the scale choice, it's how they use those notes.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 7, 2016,