Page 1 of 2
Just a curious thread here. (Mods feel free to shut down if needed)

Like the title says, has there been any gear whether it be amp, pedal, guitar, etc. that you were surprised by how much you liked?

For starters, I have always loved the look of a tele, but never owned one and had been hit or miss with single coils. I eventually took the plunge and bought a Fender Highway 1 tele and I absolutely love it. It was way more versatile than I thought it would be. I am already looking for another tele.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
Probably a fuzz face. Ive only heard people dialing in awful Big Muff tones or gating a fuzz to shit so using a fuzz face was a big surprise.

I actually have a fuzz on my board now which I thought would never happen.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Danelectro Fab Echo and Fab Chorus, I picked them up because they were cheap and a way to experiment with those kinds of sounds and see if I would use them enough to invest in a "legit" version. Turns out they're actually quite good, not just for their price point but altogether. (Granted if I were gigging and especially touring I might want to rehouse them, because the cases feel like fairly solid plastic but still just plastic, but soundwise I like them a lot.)
Fender Enforcer pickups. They came in a Showmaster I had.

Everyone on the web trashed them really hard but I thought they sounded great. Really fat, great for shreddy stuff with the old SL-X.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
oh yeah tons of things

the big one, off the top of my head, is the telecaster i guess. when i started playing guitar i thought they were kind of staid and boring. then i tried one and it made sense. the SG is kind of similar in that respect.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

My B.C. Rich VG1

Everyone hates on their cheap guitars, but with a decent set up I really liked it. Even liked the pickups.

Then I loaned it to someone, set up with heavy strings for drop a, got it back in standard a month later with the same strings, and its never played the same since.
Everything Fender makes that I like. I never got along with Fender guitars, but I love my Tele and I'll probably pick up a Duo-Sonic and a Jaguar or Jazzmaster along the way as well.

Cheaper guitars in general. I have a few that have decent pickups in them and they slay for what I paid. They don't compare to my more expensive guitars, but I'm always surprised by how much value you can get for little money.
Two things, from the top of my head. A J&D Les Paul Custom clone that a friend of mine owns, it plays and sounds really frigging good.

The other was a 30 watt Valvestate combo (which from what I remember is 100% solid state). It blew me away especially that I've never been a fan of the Valvestate series. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against solid state amps or hybrids, I like a bunch of them and have owned quite a few, it's just that Valvestates never clicked with me, besides that 30W combo
Quote by tsc86
Two things, from the top of my head. A J&D Les Paul Custom clone that a friend of mine owns, it plays and sounds really frigging good.

The other was a 30 watt Valvestate combo (which from what I remember is 100% solid state). It blew me away especially that I've never been a fan of the Valvestate series. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against solid state amps or hybrids, I like a bunch of them and have owned quite a few, it's just that Valvestates never clicked with me, besides that 30W combo

One of my favorite recorded tones was an HM-2 into a Valvestate. The several VS I've tried weren't spectacular though
The big surprise was a dirt cheap Epi Led Paul I picked up as travel guitar while in Europe.
That thing was 140€ with case and it plays great, 2 humbuckers that sound quite decent.

Another surprise was the DigiTech Trio pedal, I bought one for a buddy but liked it so much, I'm getting one too. Used, of xcourse, the new price is ridiculous.
I guess a couple of the cheap pedals I have. Deltalab Phaser is my fav phaser and hasn't lost it's spot on my board for 4 years running now. it was cheap but sounds really good. I'm also surprised at how much I like my Eno Music OD-9 overdrive. it's just one of those Chinese mini pedal tubescreamer clones but I use it for practice all the time. won't find it's way onto my board but if I had to gig with it I could easily live with that.
Finder micro compressor. Is works great with my Marshall DSL 40c to boost the crunch channel into more gain while retaining note definition that otherwise I would not be able to achieve with more gain.
Probably the Tele. Looked into them after giving up on cheap gear just to get the most bang-for-buck in a Fender, haven't really looked back since.
My Fender Starcaster chorus pedal. It was $8 brand new (from sears online store, of all places)
5 years ago. Hasn't left my pedalboard since. The best chorus to date. And i have tried quite a few.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
gear of late would have to be the Poly tune ... don't know how I lived without it for so long ??...... sure can't argue about the tele , bought a used G&L tele waiting on a strat build to be made/delivered , something about them grow on you quick , not sure what it is but if you play one for a month or two you can't ever get it out of your mind
LysanderSpoon the chorus and flange are pretty beast
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
For me it's an ESP F-100FM guitar that I got used from GC for around $100. I'm not a big fan of the crooked horns, but the stock humbuckers sound really good and I was able to get a very nice and low action. It's really a pretty sweet guitar if you can get past the looks (maybe cool for a 15 year-old, but for a 52 year-old, not so much). It's one of the three that live in my office that gets played very regularly over lunch. And I get a smile every time I play this BadAzzzMetalMachine on the clean channel (which is how I play about 75% of the time).
Quote by jds2
For me it's an ESP F-100FM guitar that I got used from GC for around $100. I'm not a big fan of the crooked horns, but the stock humbuckers sound really good and I was able to get a very nice and low action. It's really a pretty sweet guitar if you can get past the looks (maybe cool for a 15 year-old, but for a 52 year-old, not so much). It's one of the three that live in my office that gets played very regularly over lunch. And I get a smile every time I play this BadAzzzMetalMachine on the clean channel (which is how I play about 75% of the time).
I had an F-250, which is the same style but neck-thru and it was a ridiculously comfortable guitar. Sold it because the Floyd was dodgy and I needed pedals but if I ever had a shot at a more expensive F-series at a reasonable price I'd seriously consider it. Stick some Filtertrons or P-94s in it, string it up with 11s and things would start to be very nice indeed
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I had an F-250, which is the same style but neck-thru and it was a ridiculously comfortable guitar. Sold it because the Floyd was dodgy

Mine is a generic TOM hardtail. I would have passed if it had a Floyd since that's not something I would really ever use. Filtertrons would be cool, but I actually really *like* the stock pickups. I'm sure that they're just some generic humbuckers for a guitar of that price, but they sound surprisingly good.
Quote by jds2
Mine is a generic TOM hardtail. I would have passed if it had a Floyd since that's not something I would really ever use. Filtertrons would be cool, but I actually really *like* the stock pickups. I'm sure that they're just some generic humbuckers for a guitar of that price, but they sound surprisingly good.
That's fair, mine had EMG HZs in it, though, so....
Quote by dementiacaptain
Fender Enforcer pickups. They came in a Showmaster I had.

Everyone on the web trashed them really hard but I thought they sounded great. Really fat, great for shreddy stuff with the old SL-X.

i have on in the showmaster i picked up a few weeks ago. its not bad, good for a variety of stuff, but i will be swapping mine.

but yes, for a cheap fender, that good of a 'bucker is surprising.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

This came out about two months before Pentakill's 'Lightbringer', and after years of trying to play it, I am swearing it was done with this pedal. This, especially combined with the Miku - Stomp is so much fun. Also a helluva lot less useless than you might think, but it does cheat the sweep picking shredders hard
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Multi FX units, at first I was like "Analogue stand alone pedals OR BUST", then I matured and had less realestate and didnt care about "tone" that much cos turns out I dont care for the sound of high end pedals.

The new Zoom G5n gives me some serious GAS.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Surprisingly, the Moog Minifooger Ring Modulator pedal. With the expression pedal hooked up to it, you can get alot of really cools sounds that are useful (to my sound at least).
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
Tone City Kaffir Lime. My brother has one and it gives me better rhythm guitar tones than my tubescreamer.
I have nothing important to say
Just recently bought one of those 15 watt Vox Pathfinders. I wanted an amp I could play at night with headphones. I was going to grab a Blackstar ID Core series (or whatever those small modelers are). Saw the Pathfinder at GC on sale for $70. Played it a bit and took a chance. It's quickly turning into my go-to for a quick practice session.
I even think I will add a speaker out to plug it into one of my 1x12 cabs.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
Just recently bought one of those 15 watt Vox Pathfinders. I wanted an amp I could play at night with headphones. I was going to grab a Blackstar ID Core series (or whatever those small modelers are). Saw the Pathfinder at GC on sale for $70. Played it a bit and took a chance. It's quickly turning into my go-to for a quick practice session.
I even think I will add a speaker out to plug it into one of my 1x12 cabs.

Honestly I hear the Pathfinders arent terrible and sound really cool into a 12 inch. I saw a clip of a guy running 2 at the same time and he was getting some pretty nice Vox-y tones.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ yeah it's a bit of a one-trick pony but it's a pretty nice trick for what it costs.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah it's a bit of a one-trick pony but it's a pretty nice trick for what it costs.

If that one trick is 'Vox sound for 100 bucks' then sign me up!
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Dave_Mc
Totally! A 1 trick pony for less than the cost of most pedals? No brainer!
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If that one trick is 'Vox sound for 100 bucks' then sign me up!

yeah it does sound fairly voxy to me (from what i can remember, and bearing in mind i don't have that much experience with voxes )
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Carvin Cabinets. Picked up a 2x12 guitar cabinet on blowout clearance from Carvin a few years back, and it was the greatest cab I could have possibly gotten for $250. I never expected much from it, and I was blown away. I just got a 2x10 Carvin cab for my bass amp too, and it was absolutely stellar.
I'm using it now and it's awesome! I've signed up for my account and have been bringing in fat paychecks. For real, my first week I made $302 and the second week I doubled it and then it kinda snowballed to $120 a day! juet follow the course.. they will help you out...

Useful site-------->>>> http://www.Ejobs90.Com
Quote by sombrero_mop
Carvin Cabinets. Picked up a 2x12 guitar cabinet on blowout clearance from Carvin a few years back, and it was the greatest cab I could have possibly gotten for $250. I never expected much from it, and I was blown away. I just got a 2x10 Carvin cab for my bass amp too, and it was absolutely stellar.

I picked up a 70's / 80's Carvin 4 X 12 closed back cab off CL for $80 and could not be happier with it. There are no markings anywhere, so I have no idea of the model number or year, but the Carvin logo style puts it no later than the 80's. I've turned into a big Carvin cab fan.
jds2
I want to know why so many people aren't buying Carvin cabinets or other related gear. Is it just a lack of advertising? Or do you think people believe that cheap, reliable, and American-made cabinets are too good to be true?
Quote by bobafettacheese

Like the title says, has there been any gear whether it be amp, pedal, guitar, etc. that you were surprised by how much you liked?

Variax guitars. I bought an Electric 500 some years ago just to dink with. Followed that with the Acoustic 700, and the next thing you know I've got a pair of JTV-89F's.
I have an 1971 Carvin amp and cabinet that I picked up on a lark from a Church rummage sale. No one knew if it actually worked, and the cabinet is so huge (48" x 30" x 14") that I had to roll down the rear windows on my car to keep the cabinet from blowing them out when I closed the doors. The head is solid state (not a hint of modeling in something that old), has 275 W and the closed back, ported cabinet has a pair of 15" Altec Lansing 418 speakers and a single mids-high horn driver. I cleaned it up, plugged it in (gingerly), hooked up a guitar and was amazed at how great it sounded.

It turns out that an electric guitar has a LOT wider frequency range than a 4x12 will reproduce, and I *instantly* loved this amp, and the speaker cabinet is far more efficient than the aforementioned 4x12s (thus, louder for less input), and with 275W available before distortion kicks in, it's awesome...
There are a few things that have surprised me over the years!

Digitech Bad Monkey - I no longer own one, and while it's no Maxon OD808/OD9 to my ears, it's a much better pedal than it's price tag suggests. It surprised me, because I generally don't like the cheaper Digitech stuff at all.

Gibson Burstbucker Pro pickups - These came stock in my flying V's, and I was expecting to have to swap them out, because a lot of guys seem to hate these pickups (And Gibson pickups in general), calling them too bright and harsh. Perhaps they just work well in a rather dark sounding guitar like a Gibson V/Explorer, but they sound fantastic to me. Nice, organic tone, with crisp top end and tight lows. I can use them for high gain sounds just as well as some much hotter pups, but they clean up well too.

Squier Vintage Modified series instruments - Despite the Squier name on the headstock, these don't feel or sound cheap...at all! I couldn't believe how nice the 5 string J-bass I picked up for ~$300 brand new a few years back is. Thinking of adding a 4-string P-bass to my rig at some point too, instead of splurging on a real-deal Fender version.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Oct 16, 2016,
Page 1 of 2