I've had guitars that sound like this.

I wish I knew the reason for this type of sound. Is this a certain type of pickup?

I'm talking about this guitar tone that feels compressed without even running through a compressor. I've had this on strats, teles, and an old Ibanez 540r but I've heard it from other people on different guitars too. What gives a guitar this quality?

For an example, check the guitar that panned to the right at 03:20 and louder at 03:54 to the end.

Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
yeah strats can be a bit compressed

depends on the amp, too- tube amps before they really start clipping can compress a bit.

and some pedals are pretty compressed (e.g. tubescreamer).

do you know for sure they're not running a compressor?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah strats can be a bit compressed

depends on the amp, too- tube amps before they really start clipping can compress a bit.

and some pedals are pretty compressed (e.g. tubescreamer).

do you know for sure they're not running a compressor?

They could very well be running a compressor in the example, but when I heard that sound I just remember there being times where I've played guitars that sounded just like that without any pedals at all. I'm wondering if there is something specific, like a type of pickup or something, that is responsible for that sound.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Last edited by yellowshirtguy at Oct 8, 2016,
yellowshirtguy strats are a very good guitar for your tone. And the other guitars you have heard that sound compressed will deffinently have a compresser
Quote by yellowshirtguy
They could very well be running a compressor in the example, but when I heard that sound I just remember there being times where I've played guitars that sounded just like that without any pedals at all. I'm wondering if there is something specific, like a type of pickup or something, that is responsible for that sound.

yeah, i know. it's very hard to say for sure since there are so many variables. as i said, strats sound a bit compressed. maybe most things with a floating trem do a little. hotter pickups tend to sound more compressed too, though it depends a lot on amp settings as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?