Hey all, I am new to the community, and new to guitars. I purchased a vox vt20x and have been having a blast with all the different settings this little guy can crank out.

However, I am at a loss as to where I can find a list of CORRECT settings for this amp. All I have been able to find are settings for the other various Vox models that get me close, but since they are different, I can't accurately dial in the sounds.

The amps are less than a year old, so its not like they are outdated and information is lost, I just cannot find anything, even on valvetronix.net.

Any help?
There are no 'correct' settings, only the settings you prefer.

Play with it, experiment, make notes about what you do/don't like.

That's the beauty of modelling amps, the sky is your limit.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
There are no "correct" settings as stated above. However, you will probably find that the sounds will be most like the amps they are modeling with the EQ controls flat, knobs pointing at 12 o'clock. At least that is a starting point. If you are able to, max out the power and volume controls, and adjust the gain control to where it works for the model, then turn down the master volume if you need to. The first half of the amp model knob (up to AC30TB) are more or less "clean" amp models so you will want less gain on them than the second half (BRIT 800 to DOUBLE REC), which are more distortion-centered models which will want more gain.

There are a lot of options on this amp, be sure you have read the manual to know how everything works.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 8, 2016,
Well what I mean by correct settings, are for example, on valvetronix's website

http://valvetronix.net/valvetronix/valvetronix-range.html

There are several presets that people have generated to get close to sounded like particular bands and specific songs, but I cannot find ANY information regarding community presets for the vt20x. Not even on that website.

Also, for the older version the vt20+, there is a list of what people think the rebranded amp names that vox came up with to mirror real world amps, such as marshall and what not. I cant find any info for the vt20x on that either.
Last edited by elitev1 at Oct 8, 2016,
Quote by elitev1
Well what I mean by correct settings, are for example, on valvetronix's website

http://valvetronix.net/valvetronix/valvetronix-range.html

There are several presets that people have generated to get close to sounded like particular bands and specific songs, but I cannot find ANY information regarding community presets for the vt20x. Not even on that website.

Also, for the older version the vt20+, there is a list of what people think the rebranded amp names that vox came up with to mirror real world amps, such as marshall and what not. I cant find any info for the vt20x on that either.
Then there is just not preset support for the VT20x. Or maybe you just have not found it yet. I am sure there is a forum thread somewhere (maybe not on UG) that has some settings from users that they thought sounded good. But it is was sounded good to them- their guitar, their ears, their experience, their use.

Either way, I would not worry about it. If you are looking for a specific tone, find out what amp the tone was recorded with, find on on the VT20x that best matches it, then adjust until it is "right". Experiment. It is a modeler, it is meant to be messed with.

The voicing "real names" may be listed in the manual. If I had to guess though, in order around the knob clockwise... Generic Fender Voice (DRRI, Twin, idk), Fender Bassman, VOX AC30 Normal Channel, Matchless SC30?, VOX AC30 Top Boost Channel, Marshall JCM 800, Orange Rockerverb MKII, Mesa Double Rectifier.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 8, 2016,
Thanks Will, I did not get a manual since it was the floor model that they had left, and I REALLY wanted to take it home that day. But I found one online, and I would assume for legal purposes, they cannot state the name of the amps, the tone room software gives really good descriptions of the amps its modeling, but since Im so green, I still dont know what its talking about, haha.

Good thing I am a black belt in google-fu
Manual:
http://www.voxamps.com/uploads/SupportPage_Downloads/VT20X_VT40X_OM_EFGS1_WEB.pdf

Got to agree about the presets though, most of the ones I just found were for the VT+ range. Not sure how different they are, you may be able to use some of the VT+ presets as an influence?

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Oct 8, 2016,