I plan on purchasing a few pedals soon but I'm new to pedals in terms of what is good and what is junk. I've mostly been basing everything off of reviews and videos. What I have picked out so far is

MXR M300 Reverb
MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus
BOSS RC-1 Loop Station
BOSS CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
PedalTrain pedalboard
Mogami gold patch cables

Now the questions I have are. Does any of this not work together good? Do I need a power supply? Can you recommended me one? Would you recommenced something different?

If my other gear is relevant, I use a small Orange Crush20RT and an LTD H-401QM
Quote by Sharp155
I plan on purchasing a few pedals soon but I'm new to pedals in terms of what is good and what is junk. I've mostly been basing everything off of reviews and videos. What I have picked out so far is

MXR M300 Reverb
MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus
BOSS RC-1 Loop Station
BOSS CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
PedalTrain pedalboard
Mogami gold patch cables

Now the questions I have are. Does any of this not work together good? Do I need a power supply? Can you recommended me one? Would you recommenced something different?

If my other gear is relevant, I use a small Orange Crush20RT and an LTD H-401QM

well honestly I'd consider getting a way better amp before heavily investing in pedals like that. the pedals should work together just fine and yes you should have a power supply if you plan on using these in a band.(batteries would do at home but a couple of those will eat batteries fairly quickly.

an idea of what you are shooting for would help as there may be better options pedal wise or you might not really need 1 or 2 of those.
Don't do batteries. A power supply is very essential if you have a serious amount of pedals. You could go to something like a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ immediately, or start out with a One-Spot adapter and a daisy chain.

A Pedaltrain is certainly a good choice, but it's not the cheapest option out there and if you're looking to save some money, you could go cheaper by building it yourself for instance.

I'd consider a TC Ditto X2 over the Boss RC-1 if you're really going to use a looper a lot. It has a few more options that I think are worth it.

Getting a better amp is also a good suggestion, but I'd debate that if you're looking to play with effects, a better amp now might not be what you really want. The money those pedals are going to cost you could definitely get you something nice as amp, but you still wouldn't have a chorus, compressor and looper. What you could do is go in the middle of the road. Get an amp that doesn't need a TS-9 and has built-in reverb, wait with the pedaltrain and compressor and just get a chorus and a looper now. You can always add the pedals you'd like with the amp later. For instance, should you get all those pedals now and you'd change amps, you might not need the TS-9, reverb and compressor anymore.

Also, look to buy used. It'll save you tons and pedals last a lifetime if you treat them well.
Quote by I K0nijn I

Getting a better amp is also a good suggestion, but I'd debate that if you're looking to play with effects, a better amp now might not be what you really want. The money those pedals are going to cost you could definitely get you something nice as amp, but you still wouldn't have a chorus, compressor and looper. What you could do is go in the middle of the road. Get an amp that doesn't need a TS-9 and has built-in reverb, wait with the pedaltrain and compressor and just get a chorus and a looper now. You can always add the pedals you'd like with the amp later. For instance, should you get all those pedals now and you'd change amps, you might not need the TS-9, reverb and compressor anymore.

The only problem is that I just got this amp 3 weeks ago. Why won't these pedals be fine with the amp I currently use? This is just for bedroom playing really. Not playing extremely loud either.

Thanks for the other suggestions.
Quote by Sharp155
The only problem is that I just got this amp 3 weeks ago. Why won't these pedals be fine with the amp I currently use? This is just for bedroom playing really. Not playing extremely loud either.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

ok here's the thing your amp is the foundation of your tone so should be one of the things you spend some cash on. those pedals will add up to way more than the amp which is kinda putting the cart before the horse. your amp is a little practice amp that won't really be able to give you the full benefit of the pedals you want. the 8" speaker it has is very limited tonally. from what I see your amp has a lot of digital components and those don't always play nice with pedals.

having said all that yes those pedals should work with your amp although maybe not as well as you'd wish. the reverb may be a waste as the amp has bulit in reverb. what styles of music are you going for?
Quote by monwobobbo
ok here's the thing your amp is the foundation of your tone so should be one of the things you spend some cash on. those pedals will add up to way more than the amp which is kinda putting the cart before the horse. your amp is a little practice amp that won't really be able to give you the full benefit of the pedals you want. the 8" speaker it has is very limited tonally. from what I see your amp has a lot of digital components and those don't always play nice with pedals.

having said all that yes those pedals should work with your amp although maybe not as well as you'd wish. the reverb may be a waste as the amp has bulit in reverb. what styles of music are you going for?
Well I do have two other amps that are kind of just sitting in the garage. I have a Bugera tube amp and a Peavy Vyper tube amp. Both are too big/loud for me which is why I went with a smaller practice amp. Also the tubes are both dead and I have no idea how to replace them. As far as styles of music I guess I'm into classic rock/metal/prog.

Would a Orange Crush Pro CR60C have been a better amp to buy? I think I may get the pedals anyways (I'm sure they will sound fine to me) and get a newer amp later on down the road.
https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-combos/crush-pro-series/crush-cr60c/
Last edited by Sharp155 at Oct 9, 2016,
So you bought this amp because the Bugera and the Vypyr were too loud? Why don't you just turn the master volume down instead of buying another amp?

Buy new valves for those amps. If bias adjustment is something that can be done with those amps (some are fixed bias), then you can learn how to do that yourself.

If you still have the receipt, return the orange for a refund.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 9, 2016,
Sharp155
It doesn't look like that amp has an fx loop, and effects such as reverb, delay and such work best after dirt. So if you like the amps distortion then things won't work, unless you get all your distortion from a pedal and run the amp clean.

The cr60c is the little brother to my amp the cr120h, and I love it.
The cr60 also has an fx loop so you would run your compressor and tubescreamer out front and put the other effects in the loop. Mine handles pedals well.

But with the other 2 amps you have, I would suggest having an amp tech fix one.
The bugera should have an fx loop and the vyper would have all the effects built in, just a matter of programming them.
Fixing an amp would most likely benefit you more than either crush amp.
As much as I love trying to get people to get the crushes
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So you bought this amp because the Bugera and the Vypyr were too loud? Why don't you just turn the master volume down instead of buying another amp?

Buy new valves for those amps. If bias adjustment is something that can be done with those amps (some are fixed bias), then you can learn how to do that yourself.

If you still have the receipt, return the orange for a refund.
Ugh, I feel like such a dummy now. This is the Bugera I have. Hasn't been touched in years. Not sure which tubes I would need either. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Bugera/6262-Infinium-120W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112558016.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjwsuK_BRDD9ISR1bawwUwSJACbOiixlOz90J9bcH-LEu4w6ZjoG2YLW54sj9HnLc_ze7YDUBoCqZDw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^66736785762-device^c-plaid^172968887802-sku^112558016@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Would these be the right tubes?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/6L6GC4?adpos=1t1&creative=105744829081&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ee_BRD3hK6x993YzeoBEiQA5RH_BL35z6yoOJeHcVkLKA_z5ejfOJO0F4sUmN1jXrDZNjAaAhN58P8HAQ

And should I buy something like this?
https://orangeamps.com/products/accessories/amplifier-management/divo-ov4-2/
Isn't that Bugera literally plug and play because it self-biases its valves? Isn't that a key selling feature of the amp?

Why not do that than waste time with the Orange? Refund it while you still have the chance.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Sharp155
The infinium versions are pretty good. Don't need a tech to bias if it's just the tubes. And it's a clone of a 6505 which is a staple of heavier rock and metal.
If it's the pre-infinium version, a bias and a little soldering can fix them.

But hey, don't fret, everyone goofs once in a while. Depending on where you got the crush, you may still be able to return it.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Isn't that Bugera literally plug and play because it self-biases its valves? Isn't that a key selling feature of the amp?

They are. And it is. The old non-infinum version no.
Those are the right tubes. And if the amp says infinium on it, and has the red led lights on the back, you should be able to pull the old tubes and put new ones in without having to bias. So the divo won't be needed.

Also, does the amp power on? And if so do the leds light up?
Quote by Liaztraht
They are. And it is. The old non-infinum version no.
So I'm not sure where it says infinum version on the amp but all I could see was Bugera 6262-212. I googled 6262-212 and it brought up infinum versions, so I just assume I have that model. And If the amp CAN rebias itself and I just need to put in new tubes then how hard can that be?
Quote by Liaztraht
Those are the right tubes. And if the amp says infinium on it, and has the red led lights on the back, you should be able to pull the old tubes and put new ones in without having to bias. So the divo won't be needed.

Also, does the amp power on? And if so do the leds light up?
Sadly my bugera has the blue LEDs. I'm getting all this good news about old gear I have but now I find out this
Sharp155 It may be the original version then, which I would suggest taking to a tech. The old ones had a bad connector in them that would need to be replaced, which could be why it died. If that part failed, it would take some soldering to repair and may mean the tubes are fine.

Can you get a picture of the amp so we can confirm?
Quote by Sharp155
Sadly my bugera has the blue LEDs. I'm getting all this good news about old gear I have but now I find out this
I may be wrong about the color. Been a while since I've dealt with a bugera
Quote by Liaztraht
I may be wrong about the color. Been a while since I've dealt with a bugera
Mine is not the infinum. Going to plug it in and see if it powers on.

edit
it powers on. I forgot to ask how I would go about finding a tech for this type of job?
Quote by Sharp155
Mine is not the infinum. Going to plug it in and see if it powers on.

edit
it powers on. I forgot to ask how I would go about finding a tech for this type of job?

Are there any music shops around? Usually they would have one or can refer you to one.

The reason I suggest a tech is tube amps operate at high voltages and unless you know how to deal with it safely you can risk injury or death. We don't want that.
Quote by Liaztraht
Are there any music shops around? Usually they would have one or can refer you to one.

The reason I suggest a tech is tube amps operate at high voltages and unless you know how to deal with it safely you can risk injury or death. We don't want that.
Holy cow. I read that and that scares me to even turn on the thing. I could ask my guitar teacher if he knows anybody. I think I might keep the Orange Crush anyways. It's kinda cute and fun, plus I'm not stressing over how much I paid for it.
Sharp155 Your teacher should. If you like the orange there's no harm. But as stated, the effects other than the comp and ts may not work with it.

And yea. Been in Oregon my whole life.
As everyone else said your amp is the most important piece of kit. Try swaping out the valves in the Bugera and then look for pedals.

But, at the beginning I would buy a Noise gate, and a tuner. Maybe an Overdrive if necessary. All of it depends on what you want to play.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
So I have done some more searching around and have decided to change half of these pedals.

Changing the MXR Reverb and Chorus for the TC electronic counterparts. Same with the BOSS looper and getting the Ditto.