Hello
I getting a new guitar soon and I'm wondering what to get. I play lots of metal and heavy metal, and a lot of rock, hard rock, and classic rock.
I've been thinking about getting a schecter omen extreme 6 or schecter demon 6. I've also looked at epiphany les Paul's and a 1984 explorer.
My budget is $1000
What is your current guitar? And where are you located? The best thing you can do is to go try as many guitars as you can in a shop, and go home with the one that feels and sounds best to you.

You have a solid budget to work with that will have no problems landing you a quality guitar for metal. Typically, guitars with thinner neck profiles, and humbuckers tend to be favored within metal, but there are no hard, fast rules with that. Any of the options you've listed could work. The flying V (and it's derivatives), and various super-strat style models from brands like Ibanez and Jackson are also very popular choices.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
FlightofIcarus I've currently got a guitar that came in a pack which when a search it online I can't find it its called a tangle wood discovery series and it also got a fender squire bullet strat that is like 7 years old I got it from by brother. I live in Melbourne Australia so I can go almost anywhere in Victoria to get a guitar. My current amp is a fender champion 40 that I got 1 year ago
I'm less familiar w/the gear market in Australia, but I do know that gear can be pretty expensive there, especially compared to the U.S.

That being said, I did a little digging around, and found a few options you might want to go check out at shops in the Melbourne area.

Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute - $695. A quality Epiphone LP for what seems like a good price.

http://guitaremporium.com.au/collections/guitars/products/epiphone-les-paul-1960-tribute-plus-flametop-2015

Greco - EGW-700 - $950 - Vintage Japanese built Les Paul Custom copy. I'd definitely go look at this one if you're really interested in an LP!

http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/stock?man=Greco (Won't let me link directly to the specific guitar, but it's in the list here)

Ibanez RG 550 - $899 - For more of a shredding machine, if that's more your style!

http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/stock?cat=Guitars+%26+Basses&man=Ibanez&sort=SORTLATEST (Also only links to a list of guitars, but again, it's in there, lol)

On another note, some people might post in here recommending an amp upgrade for you too. If you're just playing at home, I'd allocate more funds towards a guitar for now, and worry about the amp later. If you think you might start gigging in the near future, you may want to consider a more affordable option (such as the Epiphone) if budget is a concern, and you need funds for a better amp too.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Oct 8, 2016,
Quote by Finn333
aren't all those guitars like $2000 to $3000

The 1984 explorer is about $1000 in Canada.
Something I've wondered recently, is it the exchange rate that makes guitars and stuff so expensive in Oz? Or the shipping? Or maybe customs charges?

http://www.musicjunction.com.au appear to have a store in Victoria, they stock brands like Chapman, ESP, Jackson, with models unr $1000.
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Oct 9, 2016,
I think the fact your looking for suggestions is the single best reason to go check out a few music stores, As what others may like you may not once you pick it up and play it, I've found guitars in stores that I never dreamed I'd fall in love with, Or even knew existed for that matter, Plus the fact you never know what tasty used gear you might come across, which will generally get you into something you might not have been able to afford as new, So off you go and happy hunting,