Ok just so you know what I have.. I have the LTD James Hetfield Snakebyte signature guitar with the EMG HetSet pickups.. I recently just bought on ebay a ESP standard series Horizon (made in 2011 when it still had the original ESP logo on the headstock before they changed their logo to that awful E 2 Nu metal looking logo, yuk!)

Anyway, I just dont know what it is but I still enjoy playing the Hetfield LTD better than the ESP, I know its unheard of for someone to say they prefer playing their LTD when owning a legit ESP but the ESP just sounds weak and flat compared to the raw and punchy LTD..

Why do you think this is? The ESP has EMG 85s, is it just the pick ups? The gear I use is a Line 6 POD HD Pro X and man, with the right settings I can dial in perfect Hetfield tone with the LTD, im not talking about the messier Kill Em All tone, im talking about Puppets and Justice type Hetfield tones..

I dnont know, the ESP just seems like its missing something and that LTD just has this magic to it and sounds amazing..

Has anyone else actually enjoyed a LTD over a ESP? Oh and yes, I did have the ESP fully set up professionally and both guitars have brand new batteries
Hey, it's totally reasonable to like the LTD more, I mean you've become accustomed to it.

Is it just the sound you have gripes with?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Change the 85s for something different.

LTD 600 series guitars are awesome, but objectively the Std Horizon range are some of the best, most consistently brilliant guitars ever made.

Though they are radically different guitars in terms of feel, particularly due to shape, heft and scale length.

I have many different shaped guitars but my Explorer is the one that easy feels "right" even when I've had technically superior guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
dementiacaptain[/Bdementiacaptain

Yes, the sound! In comparison to the LTD it just sounds so flat and lifeless when plugged in, my guess is I am more of a rhythm player like James so maybe the Snakebyte is more suited to my style?
Does the Snakebyte run on 18V? If it is just the sound Id think it's mostly a pickup issue.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Does the Snakebyte run on 18V? If it is just the sound Id think it's mostly a pickup issue.

Just 9v.
Ok just so you know what I have.. I have the LTD James Hetfield Snakebyte signature guitar with the EMG HetSet pickups.. I recently just bought on ebay a ESP standard series Horizon (made in 2011 when it still had the original ESP logo on the headstock before they changed their logo to that awful E 2 Nu metal looking logo, yuk!)

Anyway, I just dont know what it is but I still enjoy playing the Hetfield LTD better than the ESP, I know its unheard of for someone to say they prefer playing their LTD when owning a legit ESP but the ESP just sounds weak and flat compared to the raw and punchy LTD..

Why do you think this is? The ESP has EMG 85s, is it just the pick ups? The gear I use is a Line 6 POD HD Pro X and man, with the right settings I can dial in perfect Hetfield tone with the LTD, im not talking about the messier Kill Em All tone, im talking about Puppets and Justice type Hetfield tones..

I dnont know, the ESP just seems like its missing something and that LTD just has this magic to it and sounds amazing..

Has anyone else actually enjoyed a LTD over a ESP? Oh and yes, I did have the ESP fully set up professionally and both guitars have brand new batteries[/QUOTE

Try changing the battery.
Quote by Fisheth24

Try changing the battery.

Good idea.
Both have new strings correct?

Maybe you don't like the 85?

What about adjusting the pickup heights on the ESP?

Maybe try the 18V mod on the ESP to open them up a bit.

A new battery doesn't mean it's good - you could also have a wiring or dirty switch connection that is robbing a portion of the signal.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
It's all in what you've become accustomed to. A friend of mine spent so much time with a cheap beginner amp with an 8" speaker that when he finally got a larger amp, the increased bass response frightened him. It just didn't sound right.
Quote by dspellman
It's all in what you've become accustomed to.

ding ding ding ding
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
How about swapping the pickups from the ltd into the esp? If they are both emg they should have the quick connect. See if this fixes your issue and you can decide what to do from there.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
How about swapping the pickups from the ltd into the esp? If they are both emg they should have the quick connect. See if this fixes your issue and you can decide what to do from there.

+1 with the quick connect system, you could swap those pickups in just the time it takes to restring it. that is the first thing i would do (and have done).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/