I need something versatile
I've been playin Rock blues( 60s, 70s) also Satriani, vai, joe bonamasa, etc.. but now starting to get into metal(Metallica, iron maiden, Disturbed, lamb of god, trivium,etc)
I'm not a fan of the emg pick ups
I think I want an LP, with 24 frets, no Floyd rose, passive pick ups.
I've looked into the ltd ec1000. Played it at the store today and it felt great in my hands I just wasn't a fan of the emgs

Any recommendations?
The EC-1000 can also be found with passive pickups (SD JB/59 combo). They're less common than the EMG version though, so you might have to special order it.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
The EC-1000 can also be found with passive pickups (SD JB/59 combo). They're less common than the EMG version though, so you might have to special order it.

+1 to this. Or get a used one and swap out the pickups with whatever you want and you're still about $200 - $300 in the good.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Replace the pickups in the guitar you like the most to whatever you want. Sell the EMG'S to whoever wants them.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
I think the SD version is available enough in the States to find. An outlet/used Gibson Studio would also be a good choice if you can live with 22 frets.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Yeah I've always wanted to have 24 frets so not really feeling the lower end gibsons.
So I was just at my local guitar center and they had the ec1000 used. however, it was suspiciously cheap, ONLY 300$. The pick ups were a bit loose and the high E string hit the fret until after the 5th fret but that's adjustable. Should I jump on this?
I have the EC-1000 FM ASM with JB/59 pups. Great guitar. Around here, gently used, they go for around $500 USD.

$300 is cheap. I would pick it up and take a look. You have 14 days to return it to GC if something is really wrong with it.

--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Tech21 Trademark 10
Quote by Auriemma
I have the EC-1000 FM ASM with JB/59 pups. Great guitar. Around here, gently used, they go for around $500 USD.

$300 is cheap. I would pick it up and take a look. You have 14 days to return it to GC if something is really wrong with it.

I will keep my eyes out for that one. I've seen it online for 860-900. But if I can get one gently used 500 that would be great. I wish the FMs came in white

Another couple guitars recently came across my radar..

A used Gibson SG and a PRS SE Custom(http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS/SE-Custom-24-Quilt-Top-Floyd-Rose-Bridge-White-Binding-Electric-Guitar.gc)

Any thoughts as to how they compare to the the ec1000?
Quote by iliveinmyguitar
I will keep my eyes out for that one. I've seen it online for 860-900. But if I can get one gently used 500 that would be great. I wish the FMs came in white

Another couple guitars recently came across my radar..

A used Gibson SG and a PRS SE Custom(http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS/SE-Custom-24-Quilt-Top-Floyd-Rose-Bridge-White-Binding-Electric-Guitar.gc)

Any thoughts as to how they compare to the the ec1000?

Shhh... I actually picked this up in trade for a Line 6 HD500 (paid $200), so basically stole it.
I can't speak to the SG, but the PRS SE (had several) is a great guitar, well built, very solid players. The EC will sound brighter overall than the SE for sure. As for how it fits in your hands, only you can say.

if you'r willing to spend $700-900, consider a PRS CE-22... Killer guitar, well regarded. It is said, Paul never made a bad CE.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Tech21 Trademark 10
Last edited by Auriemma at Oct 14, 2016,
Can original PRS CE 24s be had for that money in the US?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Can original PRS CE 24s be had for that money in the US?

CE24s usually rolling between $1100-1500 depending on condition... That's not saying you can't find one for less.
--- Joe ---
Tom 1.0 Yes.

I'd find a nice ce24 with trem and put whatever pups you want in there if the stock ones are actually lacking. Generally speaking i find prs pups to be better than average, especially if the heights are adjusted correctly.

edit: here's one asking $1200, but i bet they'd budge, for example only really unless the OP is near chicago. https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/msg/5788778575.html
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 15, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
Tom 1.0 Yes.

I'd find a nice ce24 with trem and put whatever pups you want in there if the stock ones are actually lacking. Generally speaking i find prs pups to be better than average, especially if the heights are adjusted correctly.

Then do this OP!!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Keep checking reverb.com and see what shows up. How impatient are you? Think it took me 4 months to find an Axis and close to a year for a peavey wolfgang :P

And stop posting pics of the ec-1000 ASB, I was GAS'n hard for one this summer!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
What is your preference in pups. I'd say if you're getting into the heavier side, maybe check out the schecter blackjack line. They come with Duncan's. Some active some not. Also fairly high end Jackson's would fit your variety very well, if you are looking to mix it up a bit.
I've had the PRS SE Mark Holcomb for about three weeks now and I'm in love with it. It's right in the price range, has a $300 set of humbuckers in it with a push/pull tone knob for single coil action. 24 frets, really flat fret board for them sexy chords and a wide flat neck that I find extremely comfortable to "shred" on. The satin finish on the neck is really nice too. The scale length is a tiny bit longer than most PRS' guitars, but its great for holding tonality when down tuning and that'll come in handy especially for Lamb of God and Trivium. On top of how good it feels and plays, she's quite sexy. Check it out!
I'm having a massive hard on for the PRS SE Holcomb right now
But also the Ibanez RG655
Last edited by iliveinmyguitar at Oct 27, 2016,
Pulled the trigger on the rg655 galaxy black in case anyone's wondering

$1200 at sweetwater, a lil over my price range but hey it's my first "real" quality guitar and I know it's worth it
Hey as long as you like it.... personally I like Ibanez but have avoided them.... always leaned Jackson because at the price an quality seemed more having for the buck...... can't go wrong either way.... enjoy the beast
Last edited by kramer242 at Nov 3, 2016,