Hey
So
When in half a step down, should you tab chords as their true note or as the shape they are now in
Example; You're in standard and you figure out a song is in F# major, for example.
You Tune to 1/2 step down..
Should you tab that F# chord as A G chord now that it's been pushed up a semi-tone because of your tuning
or label it, still, as it's true note (F# major) even though you'll be playing the chord in the G chord Shape??
Thoughts..?
Either will work. Which way you should use depends on the song. If the band only has guitars in it (I mean, there is no piano or anything like that), and all of them are tuned to Eb, treating guitar as a transposing instrument would make sense (so you would write it a half step higher than it sounds) - that just makes it easier. I mean, would you rather read Am-G-Dm-E7 or Abm-Gb-Dbm-Eb7/G#m-F#-C#m-D#7 if the chord shapes you were supposed to play were open chords?

But if all of the instruments are not in the same tuning, I would most likely use sounding pitch.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah, the general convention for tabbing a song that's tuned a half step down is to write it a half step higher than it sounds, that's what you'll see in guitar magazines or tab books. Guitar Pro works the same way. So if you're playing something based off the open E or open A strings, it's written as E or A, not Eb or Ab. As a guitarist you are (99%) likely to be thinking of playing the notes/chords according to their position rather than their actual pitch.