Hi, so I Finally got a wolfgang copy which is a cort from my uncle during my trip to Indonesia.

I am wondering which pickup is the best option for this guitar because it is fitted with a lousy EMG motherbucker pickup. I'm not a big fan of EMG's and heavy metal so I really need to switch this pickup.

I like punk music all the way to hard rock. I think the only heavy metal band i can listen to is just Van Halen or AC/DC that's it ! not even Metallica.

So what are my pickup options ?

Without further due, here are the specs of this cort :

CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on
BODY: Basswood
NECK: Hard Scarf Joint
BINDING: n/a
FRETBOARD: Maple
BRIDGE: FR-II Tremolo w/ Cort Logo
MACHINE HEAD: Diecasting
PICKUPS (Front): Motherbucker, (Rear): Motherbucker
ELECTRONICS: 1 volume, 1 tone (push-pull), 1toggle switch
STRINGS: D’Addario EXL 120

This cort model is the CORT RH 1 and yes it has a whammy/ tremolo

I need something mid range and puncy on the ear, Something that can also blend with fullbore distortion / overdrive.

I've tried guitars with Seymour Duncan JB's and i think it's the perfect pickup for alot of punk music, even hard rock, but maybe there are more options and if you can help, maybe a cheaper alternative ?

Idk, please help me
Last edited by 477mika1 at Oct 9, 2016,
JB is good all around, however but not my personal choice. if i were to use one guitar for a lot of different things, i can see one being a good thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ yeah.

if you think AC/DC (or even VH) is heavy metal, though, the JB might be too hot for you. But it does work pretty well for punk, so I dare say you could do a lot worse.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

maybe a DiMarzio PAF pro? or on hotter side super distortion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Dave_Mc

Well according to wikipedia VH is heavy metal, maybe it was way before Metallica showed up so they consider VH heavy metal when its really not that heavy
^ yeah I mean a lot of the distinctions are academic at best, but when it comes to the guitar tones neither AC/DC nor VH (at least pre-Hagar VH) are terribly heavy. That's what I meant (the guitar tone, I mean) rather than the actual definition of the bands' genres.

^^ Yeah a PAF pro may well be the thing. It's quite modern-sounding, though. But yeah it's not too high output and a nice pickup that can also handle heavier stuff (with a boost pedal or two).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I think that in the 90's Eddie used the Duncan Custom (SH-5), it's like a hotter PAF so it might just be what you're looking for.

If you want something cheaper, you can either go the used route or look at something like Schaller 2in1 (which I think is discontinued) or GFS pickups.
Last edited by tsc86 at Oct 13, 2016,
Quote by 477mika1
Hi, so I Finally got a wolfgang copy which is a cort from my uncle during my trip to Indonesia.

I am wondering which pickup is the best option for this guitar because it is fitted with a lousy EMG motherbucker pickup. I'm not a big fan of EMG's and heavy metal so I really need to switch this pickup.

I like punk music all the way to hard rock. I think the only heavy metal band i can listen to is just Van Halen or AC/DC that's it ! not even Metallica.

So what are my pickup options ?

Without further due, here are the specs of this cort :

CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on
BODY: Basswood
NECK: Hard Scarf Joint
BINDING: n/a
FRETBOARD: Maple
BRIDGE: FR-II Tremolo w/ Cort Logo
MACHINE HEAD: Diecasting
PICKUPS (Front): Motherbucker, (Rear): Motherbucker
ELECTRONICS: 1 volume, 1 tone (push-pull), 1toggle switch
STRINGS: D’Addario EXL 120

This cort model is the CORT RH 1 and yes it has a whammy/ tremolo

I need something mid range and puncy on the ear, Something that can also blend with fullbore distortion / overdrive.

I've tried guitars with Seymour Duncan JB's and i think it's the perfect pickup for alot of punk music, even hard rock, but maybe there are more options and if you can help, maybe a cheaper alternative ?

Idk, please help me

For what you like, a JB or Custom are the ones I would choose between.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by 477mika1
Dave_Mctrashedlostfdup

What about a Wolfgang pickup ?

i haven't tried it

unless it's the same as the one in the musicman axis, in which case it'd work.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman