So, a couple of months ago, I acquired a sort-of rare guitar that seriously needs a lot of work. It's called a Squier S65, and it was part of a limited run of guitars called Series 24 in 2002 or 2003, whichever one. Here's all the information I could find on it:

https://reverb.com/item/969746-squier-s-65-2002-black-series-24-guild-s-100-gibson-sg-copy

I'm trying to change the color scheme from black with silver hardware to black with gold hardware, because that's just what I think would look nice.

I would love some suggestions on what to get for it, so feel free to help me out there. But keep in mind that this is kind of a budget guitar. I'm open to spending some money, but I don't want to get outrageous with it. I'm probably just gonna gut the whole inside and replace all of it, so some tips on that would be great. I don't want to take it to a guitar store and have them do it for me, because like I said, this is kind of a budget thing.

Here's what's wrong with it:
1) It needs a new set of pickups. I want to get a pair of humbuckers that would be good for a hard rock/ heavy metal sound, but I don't know which ones to get, so if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.
2) The knobs are broken. Somehow, all of them are. I don't know which ones are tone and which are volume, but there are two of each. Gold-colored ones are what I'm shooting for.
3) The bridge is missing. All I have are the screws and the tailpiece set, but I want to replace that to go with the color scheme I'm shooting for.
4) It needs a new pickup selector. The one on there is a toggle, but it's stuck on the bridge setting and can't be moved.
5) Half of the tuners are gone. I don't know what happened to them. But when I replace them,I want to be sure I'm not gonna be stuck with tuners that don't line up with the holes in the headstock.
6) It has a few dents in the body finish that I really don't care about, but if it's possible to fill those in, then I could. It's not top-priority, though.
7) I could probably replace the nut, but the problem is that if I were to, I don't know what the best kind of nut to get is or if the one I get would fit the guitar. It probably doesn't need to be replaced, but as long as I'm listing things...

If anyone has any advice whatsoever, it would be much appreciated if you would respond to this.
I like guitars and guitars don't like me. Or do they? We'll never know because guitars don't have emotions.
Since you are replacing everything choosing between active or passive will be similar in price. Buying new pickups probably isn't in your budget though. Look secondhand for deals on used.

You can get pots and knobs from various online retailers

Measure yours and compare to specs from online retailers

Again, should be able to find from online retailer

Measure and compare, again. I believe it's referred to as "3+3" or something like that, but don't quote me on it.

Don't fill in unless you plan on repainting. That takes a lot of time as well as some resources and a good bit of skill to look right. The old saying "if you have to ask" I would personally leave them as is. Wear and tear only adds character to a guitar IMO

Look at your "nut action height" and measure it. If it's too low you need a new nut. Too high and you can cut yours. People have different nut preferences and I only play double locking trems so I couldn't tell you my preference because I don't have one
guitarkid8 So is getting pots that can coil-split an option? I'm not really familiar with all of this but I plan on learning as much as I can before I get started, which won't be for awhile.
I like guitars and guitars don't like me. Or do they? We'll never know because guitars don't have emotions.
Yes you can, but the pickups you choose need to be "splittable". Look for 4 wires
Last edited by guitarkid8 at Oct 10, 2016,
guitarkid8 Any suggestions? I'm looking for a humbucker that costs around $80 each.
Depends on what music and tone you want to play/have. You should be able to get just about anything within reason for 160/set used.
guitarkid8 I've been looking at Seymour-Duncan Dimebuckers, which are expensive, but I can get used. Are they capable of coil tapping?
Talking knobs, i get a lot of really cool knobs by buying old broken radios from the 60s. Most of them are silver and black though too bad. A lot of old radio knobs will fit a guitar if they are pull-off types. Sometimes they need to modified a little.
Quote by ampoole126
guitarkid8 I've been looking at Seymour-Duncan Dimebuckers, which are expensive, but I can get used. Are they capable of coil tapping?

Well, if you mean splitting, yes, they are 4 conductor. Tapping is different, and seen on single coils: a pickup is wound, an output wire is connected, and then is wound some more with another output wire. You can select the different 'taps'.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by ampoole126

I know this is going to sound like a sales pitch but I am in no way associated with Wilde pickups.

Personally I would avoid the SD Dimebucker (and I like SD pickups) but the Dimebucker is SD's version of the L500XL which was made designed by the legend Bill Lawrence. Sd simply reverse engineered an L500XL to make the Dimebucker.

Dimebag may have endorsed the DImebucker but he did not use them, at least not anymore than necessary too meet the endorsement requirement. Bill Lawrence L500XLs were Dime's pickup of choice and they are what he had loaded into all of his vintage Dean MLs and what you hear when you listen to Pantera albums.

After splitting with the co-founder of Bill Lawrence USA and consequently losing the right to use his own name Bill Started a new company called Wilde Pickups with his wife Becky. He custom made to order all of his classic pickup designs using the same coil winders and magnetizers and by not marketing and using his reputation and word of mouth sold his pickups factory direct at a much lower cost than the big name companies ever could.

You can get a custom made to order Wilde L500XL for $60 and it is the real deal essentually the same pickup made by the same man on the same equipement as the originals that DIme used. It may take a few weeks to get your pickups but they are worth the wait. I have a set and will never part with them.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/pickups/wilde/l500xl/index.html

I always try to pass on the if about these pickups because they cost much less and TBH sound better than Dimebuckers and are for all intents and purposes the pickup that Dime really used.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 12, 2016,
I think you'll want to check the neck (is it straight) and the frets (are they level? Do they have wear?) before you even consider doing something with this guitar.

Second, this is a very cheap, fairly poorly made Indonesian-built guitar (I have nothing against Indonesian-made guitars, but I should note that their quality has changed drastically since the early 2000's when this guitar was built). In short, its bones are questionable. You need to make sure that this thing CAN be turned into a decent-playing guitar before you toss money at it. When you say things like, "There are tuners missing and I don't know why," I'm thinking, "I can guess why." This guitar is not "rare" for any good reason -- few people bought them and those who did buy them often trashed them when they were done.

You'll spend far more putting this thing together than it's worth, when it was new OR when it's completed.
Evilnine You actually have no idea how much this helps. Thank you very much.
dspellman And what's the best way to check to see of it's worth fixing, might I ask?
Evilnine I can't seem to find them on their website. Send me a link?