So, I've been playing guitar for almost two years now, but I'm thinking about picking up a bass. What's the kind I should get withing the $200 - $400. The reason I'm looking so cheap is because I'm not sure I wanna make the switch yet.
I like guitars and guitars don't like me. Or do they? We'll never know because guitars don't have emotions.
Take a look at Yamaha's RBX170. US$200.00 new, and a fine bass:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/yamaha-rbx170y-4-string-electric-bass-guitar/j11882
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Jesus, I need to finish my new gear FAQ. I'm addicted to both workahol and alcohol.

$400 will get you something decent. If you want light and modern then have a look at the Ibanez SR300 series of basses; if you're after something more classic and classy then a Squier Classic Vibe bass is the best bang for your buck. Both have short scale and extended range options.

Personally I recommend the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass, the neck will be more forgiving and two pickups means a greater variety of tones.
Wood doesn't affect tone. Grow up.
Quote by ampoole126
So, I've been playing guitar for almost two years now, but I'm thinking about picking up a bass. What's the kind I should get withing the $200 - $400. The reason I'm looking so cheap is because I'm not sure I wanna make the switch yet.

Why not do both?
Tried any out yet?
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.