Hi everyone,
I know to to read tabs and chords. I can play basic chords along with a song or learn a popular song.
I DON'T know guitar theory. Heck, I only know some of the notes at the end of the neck.
I know that one-on-one lessons are probably the best way to go, but at almost 30 years old and on a budget, that's probably not the most efficient way to go.

Can anyone recommend a comprehensive DVD/Youtube/Book or source that teaches the notes of the guitar, along with scales, and music theory?
For example, when I was learning the piano a few year's back, I used the book Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 1 and it had all of the techniques, and theory to get me started to reading music and playing the piano. It's a really good series (3 books) that's kind of like a program.
I would really like to find something like that for guitar.

One of my short/long term goal is to be able to play along a blues or rock backing track. I've learned some positions of the Am pentatonic, and just playing notes from that note to a blues backing track is very fun. I have a blast doing that.

Thanks for reading
Quote by ttttrigg3r
Can anyone recommend a comprehensive DVD/Youtube/Book or source that teaches the notes of the guitar, along with scales, and music theory?
For example, when I was learning the piano a few year's back, I used the book Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 1 and it had all of the techniques, and theory to get me started to reading music and playing the piano. It's a really good series (3 books) that's kind of like a program.
I would really like to find something like that for guitar.

Justinguitar has some pretty comprehensive youtube courses on a variety of styles and topics, including guitar technique, scales and some theory. I'm also a fan of Ben Levin and his channel, but honestly Justin probably has the most comprehensive set of courses and he's generally liked and recommended.

Quote by ttttrigg3r
One of my short/long term goal is to be able to play along a blues or rock backing track. I've learned some positions of the Am pentatonic, and just playing notes from that note to a blues backing track is very fun. I have a blast doing that.

That's already a nice start. I always recommend ear training when it comes to jamming and improvisation, and I'm going to recommend some now. Start learning easy blues and rock solos by ear and you'll start developing a sense of what sounds good and what doesn't, and you'll eventually start playing more with your ears and instincts. Relying on scale shapes and patterns is generally not the best thing to do while improvising, since you won't always have the time to stop and think about what pattern comes next. It's a good start, but it might become a limiting factor in the future. So start developing your ear now, as it's absolutely crucial in blues soloing.

In theory, blues improvisation combines elements from major and minor pentatonics as well as chromatic notes (often known as blue notes, but different people have different views on what blue notes mean so I don't like using the term), and it often includes microtonal bends. A lot of the "feeling" of blues comes from these slightly "out of tune" bends, and a good vibrato technique. You'll definitely hear these elements if you listen to some SRV or Hendrix.

There's a lot more to cover, of course, but maybe you should get a good grasp on the basics first. If you have some questions in mind, feel free to ask them and we can answer in more depth.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here