I hate the asshole and wish we would change the holiday, already.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that CC was a relatively average player in the discovery of the new world and that some dude wrote a novel about him in the 1700s and it was so popular that he became a hero
I don't have school off so it means nothing
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Evil son of a bitch.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
At least the quote is totally legit.
I didn't even realize Columbus could speak english
ah yes, it is the one day of the year we all pretend to care about this
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
ah yes, it is the one day of the year we all pretend to care about this

For me, it's the only day I can say how much I hate celebrating this man without being that guy who talks about Christopher Columbus.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
IDK why does he get his own holiday here in the U.S. when he didn't actually land on the mainland nor was he the first from accross the pond to land here?

Just more of America's mythical history like George Washington's "wooden teeth" or that he chopped down a cherry tree, or Besty Ross sewing the first American Flag.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

As long as we are changing holidays in think Frederick Douglass should get one, he should have one more than MLK does
ye why does anybody feel the need to be that guy who talks about Christopher Columbus as if literally everybody doesn't already know like whatever who cares u edgy tryhard teen, as if any colonialist people from colonial times were any better, but then I'm not from the Americas so I can't speak for you people but it would be a nice day off i guess
one of the worst episodes of the sopranos tbh
..::fat
lard::..
There does seem to be a new form of "education" springing up to selectively judge past figures by today's political correctness standards.

They seem to miss the fact that most if not all people of that time period wouldn't survive their scrutiny.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I don't really care, I just wish I had the day off (I have plenty of vacation I just don't want to use it, ya know?) He was a bad dude, but an important historical figure and there's something to be said about exploration and all that, as I'm sure other nations have shady past figures who also probably had some conquest of import to their history.

Controversial opinion perhaps, but I don't know that changing Columbus Day to Indigenous people's day is going to magically solve the unfortunate circumstances many face. Plus, you know, a lot of indigenous cultures at the time weren't exactly models of a just society, either, by today's standards.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Mongolia still treats Ghengis Kahn as a hero. He might have been the biggest rapist in the history of the world. Let's go bother Mongolia with our modern day morality.
Oh hey, this thread again.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
We actually had the first organized celebration of Indigenous Peoples' Day at my university today
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by EyeNon15
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that CC was a relatively average player in the discovery of the new world and that some dude wrote a novel about him in the 1700s and it was so popular that he became a hero

You may be right, but what CC has come to represent is shitty. Granted, we live in that "new world" and life is large...so LARGE.
I ain't got no job, my wife left me
bills piling up,
I got child-support payments.
And I don't know if any of what I just said
is true. But I believe it.
I did a little research and turns out that the Columbus on a quest to prove the earth wasn't flat myth comes from an 1820 biography written by Washington Irving. Same guy that wrote Sleepy Hollow.

Columbus was already somewhat known before the novel. But it was such an entertaining novel that Columbus became a household name and turned into a hero.
Columbus Day wasn't an official federal holiday until 1937, over 400 years after his death.
Canadian Thanksgiving in my household.
That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear. -Dictatus Culexis

If they stand beside you, give them respect. If they stand behind you, give them protection. If they stand against you, SHOW THEM NO MERCY!
we should bring him back to life just so he can die again

fuck that guy
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
When you're a big star, you can grab them by the continent.
Quote by bass.desires
staring at your forum avatar relaxes me.
I don't even think about Christopher Columbus.
I was just happy to have had the day off.
Does anyone really care about Columbus? Maybe elementary schoolers who have to learn whitewashed history for every holiday...I guess that's bad.
But even the anti-PC cultural conservative crybabies -- does Columbus really mean a lot to you?
Change it -- why not?

(but maybe Christopher Columbus is important -- maybe he is the boogeyman that we can project our guilt onto -- our collective scapegoat -- after all, my ancestors are white europeans -- and what am I to do?)
I mean, there's nobody out there who thinks the things he did weren't abhorrent. The holiday is less about him and more about the discovery of this continent dem sales. IME, I hear most complaints about Columbus enslaving people, but there's some cognitive dissonance here 'cause George Washington owned slaves.

Sure, go ahead and do it, but I don't think it's of the utmost importance. Nobody's fooled into thinking we're celebrating an asshole who stumbled upon this continent by accident and did some horrendous things.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 11, 2016,