Good day everyone, I've bought a Dean ML79F sometime ago and recently discovered that it has some small and not very deep scratches on first 5 frets. All of them are between 1 and 2nd string. The thing is that other guitar started to have scratches in the same places. I'm thinking that is has something to do with my playing? Is it possible that I'm pressing down strings too hard in first 5 frets when doing bends or smth?
PS it does not affects the playability or the sound anyhow.

Links on photos:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwh9h5wfD7Z8U0dpamVJVnNIZ28

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwh9h5wfD7Z8VnhfTDYzSEtSdkk
Last edited by BigYankBAll at Oct 10, 2016,
that seems odd.

How are you storing your guitar? Do you lay it fretboard down against hard surfaces?
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
Are you sure that it wasn't there when you bought it? Seems like something had to happen, sure you'll see fret wear but it tends to be over the area's you focus most your time, not just one fret in between two strings.

Are you using cheap strings or maybe not replacing them often enough?
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
are you using stainless steel strings?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I thought so too, but then it's weird because they also started to appear the same way on other guitar and it's not only 1 fret it's from 1st till 5th.
I'm using DR strings, there was a period of time when I could not change the strings because the local musical shops stopped selling the strings which I'm used have.
Quote by BigYankBAll
Good day everyone, I've bought a Dean ML79F sometime ago and recently discovered that it has some small and not very deep scratches on first 5 frets. All of them are between 1 and 2nd string. The thing is that other guitar started to have scratches in the same places. I'm thinking that is has something to do with my playing? Is it possible that I'm pressing down strings too hard in first 5 frets when doing bends or smth?

It's entirely possible that you're Gorilla Gripping those cowboy chords. It's an electric guitar. Lighten up -- a LOT. Let the guitar do the work.
If you're whanging away on the guitar like you would an acoustic, you're well on your way to wearing out a set of frets. Next guitar you buy, get one that has stainless streel frets. They last longer. But check your fretboard between the frets and see if you're developing divots there as well. If you are, then there's no question that you're using too heavy a touch. You should NOT need to touch the fretboard with your strings.
dspellman It could be that I'm pressing too hard, but I can't say that I used those cowboy chords that often and fretboards on both guitars don't seem to develop any divots. I'll try to develop a lighter touch then.
i'm not sure what could've caused that. i don't think anything you could do playing habits wise can cause that..

but try polishing the frets with #0000 steel wool.. those don't look very deep at all, that should clean it up
Last edited by trashbeast at Oct 12, 2016,
Quote by trashbeast
i'm not sure what could've caused that. i don't think anything you could do playing habits wise can cause that..

but try polishing the frets with #0000 steel wool.. those don't look very deep at all, that should clean it up

+1 that is what i would do.

also, to have that problem this early with it is quite odd.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
guitarkid8
Yeah, I played with slide a couple of times, could that be a reason?
Last edited by BigYankBAll at Oct 15, 2016,
Quote by BigYankBAll
guitarkid8
Yeah, I played with slide a couple of times, could that be a reason?

Yeah, the slide dented the fret.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup
Was not aware that slide can cause it, will have to stop using it on my electrics then.
you can dent the frets, that is all. to a degree it is technique.

I would recommend using a lighter slide, thin glass walled, that is best to start with. then you can go heavier if you want i like brass, but its a journey.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Before my 2016 model Gibson Les Paul (one of the ones around $800) turned a year old, I had already noticed some fret wear in a few different spots, which shocked me. I'd believe it if it was Frey wear personally. Do you use that area of the fretboard much?
Try adding more delay.
telecastrmastr

Can't tell for sure how often I use that area, but for sure not that often.
Quote by telecastrmastr
Before my 2016 model Gibson Les Paul (one of the ones around $800) turned a year old, I had already noticed some fret wear in a few different spots, which shocked me. I'd believe it if it was Frey wear personally. Do you use that area of the fretboard much?

if you play it a lot, that isn't uncommon.

i seem to eat frets fast. my LP needs a crown and level soon, and i only have maybe two years of playing into it (i have owned it since 2009, but it sat for a while).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7