So I've been playing acoustic guitar for a couple of years now, and I really want to start doing electric, but I'm not really sure what type I want.

I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars on one because I still have to buy an amp.
I like playing a lot of rock, stuff like Slash, John Frusciante, etc.
I'm pretty interested in les pauls, but do you guys have any other suggestions before I go to a music store and try some out?
Thanks guys
Try everything in your price range. Find something that feels good, not just looks good.

Play all of the guitars they have for example If they have 5 Epiphone Les Pauls, don't play one and then buy a different color without playing it. Play them all.
For a new electric guitar player, finding a guitar you are interested in is the most important thing, so I say get a LP. Look at the upper-tier Epiphone range, stay away from the Std. range. Used Epiphones are easily found and cheaply bought.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Also, play anything you see that LOOKS like a Les Paul in your price range. Lots of makers have their own spin on the design- some feel different, some sound different, some only look different. Some are better than the originals; some worse.

Some of them are virtually indistinguishable from the originals, except in price and availability. Slash's iconic 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard from the Appetite For Destructin sessions was a replica built by luthier Kris Derrig.

For some, only the original will do. For others, a slight tweak from the template makes all the difference.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
If you are serious about only about $200 and you are looking to buy new that severely limits your options to an Epi Special II or an LTD EC-10. If you go used you can get a better guitar for that money depending on what is available in your area. A couple that would fit that price used would be an Epi LP standard or studio or an ESP LTD EC-256. If you can up the budget a bit you could get an Agile from Rondo music.
Quote by guitarsngear
If you are serious about only about $200 and you are looking to buy new that severely limits your options to an Epi Special II or an LTD EC-10. If you go used you can get a better guitar for that money depending on what is available in your area. A couple that would fit that price used would be an Epi LP standard or studio or an ESP LTD EC-256. If you can up the budget a bit you could get an Agile from Rondo music.

Down side with the Agile's from Rondo music is they're online sales only, although the return policy is no hassle if you don't like it, There must be 50 different threads here on UG on them, Quite well respected within they're price point, although a bit over that $200 point in a LP copy, being the AL series, Although I'd try and avoid the 1900 series , Bolt on necks on LPs just seems a bit sacrilegious to me so at least step up to a set neck 2000 series,
Back in the day the Ibanez AZ and AR's were considered a poor mans LP, in fact I cut my chops on one, Kinda miss the old girl, Epiphone? Eh I think the Agile's smoke them dollar for dollar, and the budget single cutaways by the others just wont have the LP vibe in my opinion, First and foremost with an LP is a fat slab of solid Mahogany with a Mahogany set neck and equipped with some P-90's or Humbuckers and a TOM bridge That it, The anatomy of a LP. If it doesn't weigh at least 8 pounds its not an LP, Under that its an SG, Which is fine by me as I love me some SG too, That plywood body having Epi? Yea Ok it looks like a LP.
If I wanted to buy a Les Paul with a tight budget, I'd go for a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro. They cost 250 to 300 euros used, don't know if it is similar in your region.