I had a band audition this weekend and the band told me to bring in a small amp if I want to. I decided to go with the Mesa Mini and my Jet City 1x12 cab.

So the other guitarist walks in with a 2x12 Mesa cab and a Mesa Triple Dual Rectifier head, which is 100 watts as compared to my puny 25 watts.

So we decided to jam on a few tunes together and I had to crank pretty much to 11 to keep up in volume, but the big surprise was that tonally they were very close.
If I were to put both on a recording, I'd be hard pressed to say which is which. Considering that I didn't pay as much as he did and I packed mine in a lunchbox sized portable bag while he had to lug his down two floors with no elevator, I felt pretty good.

The Mini wouldn't optimally work in this band situation as it seems as I'll have to carry something louder, like my PSA-1 and Peavey 50/50 Classic power amp or my modded Tiny Terror which is loud as heck at 60 watt. Maybe I should first try the Mesa Mini with my 2x12?

The thing that was surprising was that it wouldn't cut above this drummer and it was at 4 when I was projecting very good on a friendly jam I did with another guy...
I'd be really curious to know how true what you're saying is.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
With the same cab you would probably be even closer to the other guy's sound. Also, aren't triple rectifiers 150 watt?
Quote by diabolical
It really wasn't a huge difference. If I stick around in that band I'll post samples.

BTW - the studio electrical wiring was so bad, we were both picking up Mexican radio on the lead channel

well I hope it was the Celtic Frost version of Mexican Radio
Add a pair of EVM or V30s and you would probably be right in there with the T-rec.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Quote by Cajundaddy
Add a pair of EVM or V30s and you would probably be right in there with the T-rec.

I think volume would be the issue though so this amp probably won't make it back to practice unless I start taking my PA system there, as the singer has a puny little thing that won't support miking. I do have a 2x12 with GT12T75s and two greenbacks laying about....might try that as well just for comparison since it isn't a heavy amp to carry in addition to the head I am taking
EVM or V30s would add a lot of "volume" because they are more efficient with higher SPL rating than Greenbacks, Creambacks, or almost anything else. Small 25w amp + high 100db SPL speakers = LOUDER
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 13, 2016,
diabolical
Wattage does not create vast volume differences. The difference between 150 watts and 25 watts is likely only a couple of decibels. The cabinet is what is going to make it sound loud. High wattage only allows you to play at louder volumes with greater clarity.

I personally own a Mini Rec and a 2x12, and it's loud.
Guys, while I appreciate the fact That wattage isn't everything, you've got to consider that we are talking a huge 150W big bottle-tube monster meant for blowing up stages to a 20W version AIMED at being used for the quiet.

I'm sure the cab makes a big difference, but the volume difference between the amps in practice should be appreciated. While on paper there shouldn't be a huge difference, sometimes reality is a bit farther away.

I imagine a good bit of it is that the EL84s started to breakup and compress at least a bit which might have made it a bit harder to cut through the mix, especially compared to the Triple with its sexted of 6L6 tubes.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The Mini is loud, for what it is, I don't disagree.
The efficiency of tge speakers might help some but no way I can be as loud. Lets not forget el84s vs el34s as well.
The big surprise was that the tones were not too far off.
Yeah honestly I'd argue the tubes might hurt you more than the wattage in terms of cutting through.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yes, they have - loud and louder! This guy is actually quite nuanced but he doesn't caress the sticks like a jazz guy.
In metal you have to have a "thump" and a "whack" for the kick/snare otherwise it just doesn't sound right.
TBH, unless his was the older 2-channel, I've always much preferred the Mini over its newer variants. Generally I tend to dislike EL84-based amps but that one sounds great.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
How is the low end of the mini?
I always wondered with the smaller heads whether they could handle a huge low end. That is the one thing that my old TH30 just didn't have.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
Great low end, it's a perfect little amp, love it!

The other guy had an older one in "modern" setting. I prefer to keep mine on "vintage".

Now I got the old rig back from retirement:

GT-10 in 4 cbl method, midi controlling Sansamp PSA-1 preamp into Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp. 2x12 Celestion G12T75 custom cab.

Maybe I'll do a/b with the Mesa since the staging area where I'm putting it together is not far from my recording equipment.

At 4 it already buries the Mini on max thru same speakers. They seem to ger more "efficient" when a 100 watt amp with el34s is drivin' 'em
Sᴛᴀʀᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴏᴍᴇ! Gʀᴇᴀᴛ ᴊᴏʙ ғᴏʀ sᴛᴜᴅᴇɴᴛs, sᴛᴀʏ-at-home moms or anyone needing an extra income... You only need a computer and a reliable internet connection... Mᴀᴋᴇ $90/h and up to $12000 a month by following link at the bottom and sɪɢɴɪɴɢ ᴜᴘ... You can have your first check ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ᴏғ ᴛʜɪs ᴡᴇᴇᴋ...

...............>>>>> http://www.NetNote20.Com