Hi, am a beginner guitarist and can't figure out which of these multi fx pedals I should buy!

Choices are here: https://www.artistguitars.com.au/shop/amps-effects/effect-pedals/multi-effects-pedals/220402

The Nux MFX10 seems like it has a nicer interface...

The G1XON seems to be more of a brand name...runs on batteries for portability...and is cheaper.

The Nux MG20 is a real unknown...there is so little info out on it...and I'm not sure I should be spending $250 on something that is such a mystery!

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated

I also looked at the Zoom G3X but you can't input an aux device....which I think I would probably use for practicing.

Thanks!
I have the G1on (exactly the same as the G1xon but without the expression pedal) and can say that without a doubt, it's an excellent practice tool. I would always recommend it.

Zoom have developed into a very reputable brand, and although some years ago they were considered cheap & sh**, they've really stepped up their game in the past couple of years and are now genuine competitors to the likes of Line 6 etc.

As you say, Nux are more of an unknown, so personnally I'd suggest sticking with the Zoom.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
GaryBillington Thanks Gary...appreciate your time posting....the Nux MFX10 gets a reasonable review over here...

But really is amazing how little info there seems to be out there about them...

The Nux does seem to have a much nicer GUI...but the battery option is a selling point for me of the Zoom....one can practice pretty much anywhere with this, a guitar and headphones...

It isn't much more for the Nux...and besides that battery feature it does seem to have the Zoom covered in other areas....but as to the sound quality...is hard to tell....

Some of the demos seem to feature people playing a lot of metal....and that isn't such a priority for me!

I guess neither is that expensive....but only really want to buy one or the other....
Remember that the quality of sound you hear on a youtube video (or any other) often bears no relation to the quality of sound you'll get from the item itself due to outside influences like the quality of equipment the video was made with and even restrictions put in place by the site where the video is hosted.

Also worth noting is the fact that you've probably found lots of user reviews about the Zoom. These, whilst potentially more honest, are often made by people who have only just bought the equipment and are still in the honeymoon phase therefore can be overly positive and miss a lot of detail whilst reviewing other aspects negatively due to a lack of understanding, without really dialing in the best features of an item.

On the other hand, you've probably only found professionally made videos of the NUX. Videos made by NUX to sell their product. These will often be of higher quality, will only cover the best features, and will completely ignore any negative aspects of the product.

In summary, neither user reviews or marketing videos are a reliable way of judging a product.

Look at it this way:
NUX = relatively unknown brand with unknown reputation, more expensive
Zoom = extremely well known brand with a good reputation, less expensive

Seems to me you can either pay less for more, or you can pay more for less. I know which I'd do.

Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Oct 11, 2016,
Thanks Gary...much appreciated...I've gone with the Zoom device....at the end of the day the ability to use batteries..brand name....and some great reviews out there has won the day....

The other pedals actually look really interesting from NUX....but they would do well to get their pedals out to some people to independently review them....is a brave call....but if the product stands up...is worthwhile.

Thanks so much for the reply and your advice to a 'stranger'! Much appreciated.
Nux look really interesting, there were a few items that peaked my interest as well but from what I could gather, they have non-existent cust. support, poorly written manuals, horrible buggy software.

With that in mind, I did have an issue with a Zoom pedal and after several attempts their cust. support never got back to me.
Quote by diabolical
With that in mind, I did have an issue with a Zoom pedal and after several attempts their cust. support never got back to me.
Fortunately I've never needed support for either of my Zooms, so no experience of that!

Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have the Zoom B3 which is a cousin of sorts of the G1xon and I believe they share a modeling engine or something. Worth every penny, especially at that price range.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
GaryBillington Well Gary...thanks so much for the recommendation...and others here too.

I've got my brand spanking new Les Paul Epiphone Plus Top Pro...the Zoom GIXon....Riffstation beta....and having an absolute blast!

I am under no illusions that I am a rank beginner compared to all the legends here.....but I've got a handful of chords...I guess rhythm from my piano background...and having an absolute blast cranking along with a range of songs with some form of distorion/overdrive effect thing happening.....

Is all such an inspiration to just getting speed up with chords changes etc....get the fretboard down etc....but thank you!

Best advice.....the little Zoom is doing a great job...and the combination of battery power + aux in...just all works!

Thanks so much!
Last edited by Kangaroos` at Oct 16, 2016,
Just a query I have with the Zoom G1Xon for anyone familiar with the unit....I'm mainly using a couple of main effects....sometimes a clean sound and sometimes a more distorted/overdrive thing....

The trouble is the fluctuation in volume between the 2 is kind of massive.....clean sound very quiet.whilst overdrive sound becomes amp killing....

What is the best work around for this to give a more even level when changing effects? Adjust the gain on the presets and save again? Or some other method to easily adjust volume whilst playing?

Thanks.

- Matt
Yeah, you need to edit the settings so you have each patch stored with similar volume, fairly simple process

Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
GaryBillington Thanks Gary....was a bit confused about which 'Effect' i was supposed to adjust...but can see now I just use the 'Patch Settings' option for the over all level....

Edit: Basically I've gone to the clean quiet patch...maxxed it out....then for nearly every other patch I've had to drop it from 100 back to about 19...which ends up giving an even volume. I'm not sure why there is so much disparity in volume level between the 'presets'....anyway is easy enough to tweak...

Do you find you tend to customise a lot of the presets to get a better sound? Or do you mainly stick with the factory ones? Is it actually possible to download 'patches' others have made? By the look of it you have to manually dial in the settings? Found this site...http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=G1on

Thanks!
Last edited by Kangaroos` at Oct 17, 2016,
I think you can download patches, but not 100% sure with the G1on - it may just be the larger units. I've never tried it personally, I just stick to the basic presets with a bit of general tweaking & editing to get them just right.

Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks Gary...am steadily figuring it out...all good! I'll probably do the same thing...just minor tweaks...I'm just figuring out what sounds work with what songs....thanks