Jus' wondering weather a 1x12 80 watt solid state combo amp hooked up to an external cab (also 1 x 12 and same watt rating) could be heard over a loud drummer?
Gosh!
What is the amp brand?

My gut says ya you should be fine. I have a 35x orange solid state with 1x10 and its plenty loud to play with a drummer. It doesn't sound the same as my 2x12 cabs but its great for a lightweight rehearsal amp.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
Should do. Depends on the efficiency of the speakers in the cabinets, etc. and on what frequencies you're using. 80W is just fine if you're running mostly mids and above. It's probably not particularly great if you're doing a lot of downtuning.
Quote by DirtFarmer
What is the amp brand?

My gut says ya you should be fine. I have a 35x orange solid state with 1x10 and its plenty loud to play with a drummer. It doesn't sound the same as my 2x12 cabs but its great for a lightweight rehearsal amp.

The amp brand is Randall

Quote by dspellman
Should do. Depends on the efficiency of the speakers in the cabinets, etc. and on what frequencies you're using. 80W is just fine if you're running mostly mids and above. It's probably not particularly great if you're doing a lot of downtuning.

Speaking of that , what should I use as the extention cab?(since i have a tight budget)

This: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera/112TS-80W-1x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet.gc

This: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Super-Champ-112-1x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet.gc

or This: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/TSA112C-Tube-Screamer-80W-1x12-Guitar-Amp-Cabinet.gc

BTW the combo amp is a Randall RG80 just so you can get how it looks astheticly
Gosh!
Last edited by jruiz112202 at Oct 11, 2016,
What impedance do you have on the external speaker?

I got an Jet City Eminence loaded 12 inch cab on Musician Fiend for $130 that was a good deal, (16 ohms impedance). My next closest pick was the Peavey 1x12 cab which they've also discontinued

Out of the 3 - definite no on the Bugera. The Ibanez and Fender one seem to be loaded with the same speakers, that's how it appears. The Ibanez seems better built. This will also be available soon:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/laney-cub-cab-2x12-open-back-guitar-speaker-cabinet#productDetail
might be worth checking out or maybe even see if you can get a matching Randall speaker. Pawn shops sometimes have them, also look for local ads. Speakers usually don't have much to get damaged or if they are you could tell fast, so buying used is not a bad thing.

Last but not least - you could also get the speakers and get a blank 1x12 enclosure, just do a search for them.
diabolical
The RG80 has an impedence of 8ohms , can't say much of the ext. speaker (yah know , since i'm still choosing on)
Gosh!
Presuming you have them wired correctly, the extra speaker will help some but it is not a solution that will give you loads of volume to make yourself heard over a drummer. An 80w 1x12 by itself should be okay. But I would not go and buy an extra 1x12 just for the purposes of being a bit louder. If your 80w amp is not loud enough, upgrade the amp itself- don't avoid the problem.
Make sure to get an 8ohm cab to match your combo, it'll put the amp at 4ohms which is what you need for the amp.

You could even go with 8ohm load 2x12" cab and essentially run three speakers from your amp. I believe the cab config could be 2x16ohm speakers in parallel, or 2x4ohm speakers in series.

http://www.eminence.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
I think he needs to chekc the manual or contact Randall to find out the impedance he needs on this. Sometimes connecting an ext. cab disables the built in, or loads the impedance in series or paralel, depending on amp design. It is usually covered in the manual.
Quote by diabolical
I think he needs to chekc the manual or contact Randall to find out the impedance he needs on this. Sometimes connecting an ext. cab disables the built in, or loads the impedance in series or paralel, depending on amp design. It is usually covered in the manual.

+1 be safe. i have had amps with several different methods on adding cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Will Lane
Presuming you have them wired correctly, the extra speaker will help some but it is not a solution that will give you loads of volume to make yourself heard over a drummer. An 80w 1x12 by itself should be okay. But I would not go and buy an extra 1x12 just for the purposes of being a bit louder. If your 80w amp is not loud enough, upgrade the amp itself- don't avoid the problem.

This -- the extra cabinet isn't going to make a huge difference. You'll probably do just as well putting your amp up on an amp stand.

Quote by dspellman
This -- the extra cabinet isn't going to make a huge difference. You'll probably do just as well putting your amp up on an amp stand.

I have that exact model and can attest to its improvement capabilities when doing an unmic'd gig.
Quote by dspellman

Quote by Will Lane
I have that exact model and can attest to its improvement capabilities when doing an unmic'd gig.

[its cheaper than getting a ext. (and has less time to setup) so yea , it seems like a better route]
Gosh!