Page 1 of 2
BAGELS' POPULARITY IS RISING LIKE YEAST
By Marty Meitus, Scripps Howard News Service
Published: June 11, 1996 12:00 a.m.

A little yeast, a little water, some flour, some malt syrup and what do you have?

Bagels. The hottest food since sliced bread. So hot that bagel store chains and independent bakeries alike are fighting for turf in a market that's rising fast.Ten years ago, one in 100 breakfasts included bagels; this year it was one in 33.

Harry Balzer of the NPD Marketing Research Group in Rose-mont, Ill., estimates we eat around 3 billion bagels a year, compared with 4 billion doughnuts and sweet rolls.

"The chains are attempting to grab the bagel market, which is not too difficult," says Joe Kaplan, co-owner of The Bagel Deli and a non-bagel baker. "Open a store on any given corner and the people will come, because bagels have become the fad food of the mid-'90s."

Bruegger's is the largest growing bagel franchise in the United States.

"The competition is what's getting me out of bed; I thrive on it," says Brent Harl, managing partner of Bruegger's of Colorado.

If there are any laments about the bagel phenomenon, it's that the chains will set a different standard in bagels - much as McDonald's did for hamburgers. Already the varieties such as jalapeno cheddar are enough to make a purist shudder.

"People will begin to think that a bagel is a large doughy thing," says Kaplan, "and it will be perceived as the better value because it's bigger and you'll lose the tradition."

A traditional bagel is boiled and baked. Bruegger's uses the boiled method, but some of the bagel bakeries use a steam-injected technique. Einstein Bros. has a patent- pending process that incorporates both boiling and a kind of steam process. "When you boil," says Gary Gerdemann of Einstein Bros., "it gives a shiny crust and dense, chewy interior, but boiled bagels don't have sandwichability - meaning that they don't make good sandwiches . . . so we came up with a new process. The crust is crusty but you don't squeeze your sandwich fillings out."

In fact, man and woman do not live by bread alone, and most of the bagel shops are also sandwich emporiums. Einstein prides itself on becoming a neighborhood hang-out. "We look at it as fulfilling a community need," says Ger-de-mann. "Meet your friends there, have a meeting there - that's part of Starbucks success. I think there's room for places for people to hang out, most of them don't exist anymore, where people can sit around and drink a bottomless cup of coffee all day."

Both Harl of Bruegger's and Gerdemann of Einstein Bros. are convinced that if you build it, they will come. "We're in 51 markets and we see growth," says Harl. "Once a few stores get there, it's like a pizza, where there's pizza stores on every corner, but they all can make it, because it's such a popular product."

Bagels are the fad food of the '90s, mostly because of their perceived healthy profile. So, what are you getting at your bagel meal?

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
I always thought they sucked.
Every one I've ever had was the texture of rubber and they were equally as hard to bite into as rubber.
Maybe I've never had one prepared correctly or something. Certainly most of the ones you get the grocery store and fast food places are just terrible.
Bagels are OK a bit chewy for me TBH but I'll occasionally eat one like at a hotel with continental breakfast or when they provide free at a work meeting.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Also spotted another 90s thing in the article.

Refering to something that gets popular as a "fad" is sooooooooo 90s.
Quote by EyeNon15
Also spotted another 90s thing in the article.

Refering to something that gets popular as a "fad" is sooooooooo 90s.

Should we call bagels a meme?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
Memes are kinda passe at this point.

If it was 3 years ago we could just put a hashtag in front if it
#bagels
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Oct 11, 2016,
Not gonna lie, I didn't read the OP but I fucking love bagels.

I like em with cream cheese & smoked salmon, I like em with just butter or I like em when people make sandwiches out of them. ESPECIALLY breakfast sandwiches.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Ladies and Gentlemen.
THE worst food item ever created by humans or the universe.

Quote by EyeNon15
Ladies and Gentlemen.

I'm pretty sure spray cheese out of a can is the worst food item ever created. Those are delicious at 3 in the AM when you are hammered off your rocker.

Mind you, aren't you 72? I'm not surprised old farts hate awesome.

Quote by soundgarden1986
That's not even close to being true

This man knows
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by EyeNon15
Ladies and Gentlemen.

That's not Snapple.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm pretty sure spray cheese out of a can is the worst food item ever created. Those are delicious at 3 in the AM when you are hammered off your rocker.

Mind you, aren't you 72? I'm not surprised old farts hate awesome.

Later I'll plop one of my 72 year old shit's in a box and you can eat that too since you love awesome so much.
Quote by EyeNon15
Later I'll plop one of my 72 year old shit's in a box and you can eat that too since you love awesome so much.

Fuck, you're still in control of your bowels? That's impressive. I figured you were a Depends kind of guy by now.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Fuck, you're still in control of your bowels? That's impressive. I figured you were a Depends kind of guy by now.

Nope no bowel control here, all the more tasty and suited for your taste buds
Quote by EyeNon15
Nope no bowel control here, all the more tasty and suited for your taste buds

Well, lets be honest here. Judging by what you called the worst food ever, you shouldn't be making fun of anybody's taste.

Then again, you're a man that thinks JD is good so that's par for the course.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, lets be honest here. Judging by what you called the worst food ever, you shouldn't be making fun of anybody's taste.

Then again, you're a man that thinks JD is good so that's par for the course.

You should be ashamed to show your face in public after admitting you like bagel bites.

You should be in an alley somewhere with crackheads beside of a guy shooting up heroin while you get your fix of bagel bites.
Quote by EyeNon15
You should be ashamed to show your face in public after admitting you like bagel bites.

You should be in an alley somewhere with crackheads beside of a guy shooting up heroin while you get your fix of bagel bites.

Thats your comeback after getting son'd? Fuck it would be funny if it made sense. Last time I checked crackheads in an alley dont have access to a microwave so they can't even eat them and why would a crackhead hang with a heroin addict in an alley? Jeez grampa, time for some better material, or is the dementia kicking in?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thats your comeback after getting son'd? Fuck it would be funny if it made sense. Last time I checked crackheads in an alley dont have access to a microwave so they can't even eat them and why would a crackhead hang with a heroin addict in an alley? Jeez grampa, time for some better material, or is the dementia kicking in?

Don't get mad at me because you have an irrational addiction to shitfood.

And to keep with your theme of aspergery literalism. Last time I checked, you have to have children and they have to be children in order to be a grandpa. Learn about your disease baby.
Or are you just engaging in a classic infant temper tantrum?? Go find an adult baby, I'm sure someone will give u a bagel bite to just to stop your baby tantrum
Whiskey and bagel bites, that's not good for a person of any age. Much less a baby like you.
Quote by EyeNon15

And to keep with your theme of aspergery literalism. Last time I checked, you have to have children and they have to be children in order to be a grandpa. Learn about your disease baby.
Or are you just engaging in a classic infant temper tantrum?? Go find an adult baby, I'm sure someone will give u a bagel bite to just to stop your baby tantrum

The irony of saying I'm having a tantrum when you're grumpy cause nobody agrees with your terrible assessment of bagel bites. Did you not get your Metamucil this morning? I know my grammy gets grumpy when she doesn't take her Metamucil cause she gets constipated!

Quote by EyeNon15
Whiskey and bagel bites, that's not good for a person of any age. Much less a baby like you.

"Wah wah, I'm crying cause people like bagel bites"

Oh no wait, thats you
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Nah, healthy people agree that bagel bites are a shitfood.

But keep pretending whiskey and bagel bites are awesome, you definately wont live to be anywhere near 72
Quote by EyeNon15

But keep pretending whiskey and bagel bites are awesome, you definately wont live to be anywhere near 72

I mean, I probably won't since I don't eat bagel bites and I don't drink whiskey often. But hey man, you can dream right? It's about all you got left anyway.

Quote by EyeNon15

Also just noticed this ^

Nice little aspergers joke there buddy. I'm guessing being clever went to the deep end of your gene pool instead of the shallow end you float around in.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by EyeNon15
Umm... not taking sides here but there's a pretty clear distinction between healthy people calling it unhealthy and calling it poofood. Much like cake, there's probably some health nuts who can't help but love them just as much.

I mean you can claim whatever you want, but heathy people in general isn't your best go-to for this.

also I'd eat a pizza bagel if offered. >_>
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Oct 11, 2016,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I mean, I probably won't since I don't eat bagel bites and I don't drink whiskey often.

Sure u dont.

Alchoholic + Shitfood + baby = start plannong your funeral
Quote by EyeNon15
Sure u dont.

Alchoholic + Shitfood + baby = start plannong your funeral

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Umm... not taking sides here but there's a pretty clear distinction between healthy people calling it unhealthy and calling it poofood. Much like cake, there's probably some health nuts who can't help but love them just as much.

I mean you can claim whatever you want, but heathy people in general isn't your best go-to for this.

also I'd eat a pizza bagel if offered. >_>

If the health nut pretends that they aren't eating a shitfood when they are eating a bagel bite then they are just incorrect.

That extends to pretty much anything that is frozen and microwaveable. It's the bottom of the barrel as far as edible food goes.
Quote by StewieSwan
English muffins are better

Best thing said on the thread so far.
I have a bagel almost every workday for brekky, and it's one of the only joys of my day.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
Quote by zgr0826
I have a bagel almost every workday for brekky, and it's one of the only joys of my day.

I would but sometimes Im not super hungry in the morning and a loaded bagel would be a bit heavy. Once in a while though Ill have a bagel with a fried egg, bacon, tomato, lettuce and cheddar and its
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I would but sometimes Im not super hungry in the morning and a loaded bagel would be a bit heavy. Once in a while though Ill have a bagel with a fried egg, bacon, tomato, lettuce and cheddar and its

I usually just do a plain one with cream cheese.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
Quote by zgr0826
I usually just do a plain one with cream cheese.

Cream cheese and smoke salmon
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
i toast a cinnamon raisin bagel for lunch ever day and put nutella and peanut butter on it
Quote by StewieSwan
English muffins are better

Now there is a platform you should be using for your Mod campaign hell it could be your campaign slogan!

"English Muffins are Better" is even better than "Make America Great Again"
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 11, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Now there is a platform you should be using for your Mod campaign hel it could be your campaign slogan!

"English Muffins are Better" is even better than "Make America Great Again"

Fuk dat shit, he better be hyping up some amurican muffins. We don't want no englishsters running our tables.
Quote by zgr0826
it's one of the only joys of my day.

Bummer not much to look forward too eh?
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Page 1 of 2