Hi, I have googled and searched this for a bit now, and I'm just not getting the exact answer to my question.

I have a 20 watt Orange amp. I'm living overseas and don't know how long I'll be here, so I didn't want to invest much. It sounded mega in the store, for the size, so I bought it.

Today was the first day with a drummer. I cranked it pretty darn high, to about 8, to the point where it was fuzzing pretty decently when I wasn't playing anything. That said, I got an amazing, overdriven, mega sound out of it. It was definitely loud enough.

However, I am worried. Can I blow the amp or speaker by playing it so loud? I'm not using effects, pedals, nothing. Just cranking up the volume and the gain to about 7/8/9 each. Should I be worried? Is it OK?

Thanks much guys.
20-watts isn't powerful enough to drown out the drummer.. the stock speaker is most probably between 20 to 25-watts so if you crank the volume up , it will not sound as nice..

Example:
Fender Frontman 25R stock speaker is OK at lower volumes but when you crank it up, the sound is slightly distorted.. recommended speaker upgrade is Eminence Raging Cajun, there are others but I chose the lather.

A 30-watt or 40-watt is adequate but not enough against a really aggressive drummer..

Btw, what kind of music does you band or group play?
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Hey - yes I am slightly regretting getting the 20 watt instead of the 30 or more. I needed something portable and I was initially impressed at the sound I got in the store. It was kind of an impulse like, hell yeah this is the one! We play punk, which means it's loud. Bad because I need a loud amp. Good because I have no problem overdriving the shit out of it.

The thing was actually pretty darn loud today with the drummer. I think it's passable if I jack it up.

That said - the original question. Will I blow the speaker if I crank it up to 90%/100% for an extended period of time?
Quote by shortyafter
Hey - yes I am slightly regretting getting the 20 watt instead of the 30 or more. I needed something portable and I was initially impressed at the sound I got in the store. It was kind of an impulse like, hell yeah this is the one! We play punk, which means it's loud. Bad because I need a loud amp. Good because I have no problem overdriving the shit out of it.

The thing was actually pretty darn loud today with the drummer. I think it's passable if I jack it up.

That said - the original question. Will I blow the speaker if I crank it up to 90%/100% for an extended period of time?

If the amp was designed properly, no. However, if the wattage rating is a little too conservative by the amp putting out more than what it is rated for, or too generous by the speaker not having the power handling specified, then maybe you risk damage. Considering the stereotypical bad quality of many small SS amps (however not always true), I would not want to use the amp full-tilt.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 11, 2016,
you won't be able to hang in the mix if you are gigging unless you mic it. period.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What's the amp model?

Usually speakers are rated conservatively, in other words can take a lot more than are rated for, I'd say about 20% or even more.

I was running my Marshall JCM900 at 8 for about 2 years, no damage, didn't even need to change power tubes. That's the volume at which it gets its sound.
I crank the shit out of my Orange Crush 35RT. I have yet to see any problems. Their solid amps man! You will suffer sound quality but I don't think you'll hurt anything.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
Depends on the design. If you're already well into distortion on the amp, you're probably not going to get any more actual volume out of it.

In fact, you may not be getting all that much more real volume out of it now. We've tested amps that have been driven into distortion and found that while they *sounded* like they should be louder, they really weren't.

Mike it up.
Thanks guys for the good replies.

I am going to try to see if I can exchange for a 30 or 35 instead, not sure what the policy is here and the store is closed for a holiday today. If not - despite the people who have said "you absolutely won't be heard over drums", I can assure you, I played with a drummer yesterday, and I heard myself over drums. That said, for gigging, as dspellman says - I will mike it up.
Quote by Will Lane
If you are gigging, I would get a more professional amp to begin with, not just a step up in wattage.

The thing is I am living overseas now. I may be here for 1 year, I may be here for 5, maybe the rest of my life. Not sure. That's why I wanted something small/cheap/portable, for now. That said, I appreciate your tip. Maybe I'll hold on to this little guy until things get figured out, and I can save for something professional later on. What kind of stuff do you like to use?
Last edited by shortyafter at Oct 12, 2016,
Quote by shortyafter
The thing is I am living overseas now. I may be here for 1 year, I may be here for 5, maybe the rest of my life. Not sure. That's why I wanted something small/cheap/portable, for now. That said, I appreciate your tip. Maybe I'll hold on to this little guy until things get figured out, and I can save for something professional later on. What kind of stuff do you like to use?
What I, myself like to use is a VOX AC30 tube amp. Plenty loud for reasonable unmic'd gigs, great for micing as well. However that is not an amp that I would recommend for punk. The traditional Orange "voicing" is fine for punk and heavier genres, so you are in the right boat. The issue is the Crush series is not really a professional series of amps. You may be able to get professional results out of them, but you would have a better time with one of Orange's all-tube models. However, they can get expensive. A Marshall DSL40C could be found used for much less money but the voicing will be somewhat different, but it would get you the same place.

But as you said, being overseas in your unsure situation, I would not want to be toting around thousands worth of gear unless I had a concrete place to be and live from. Now if you are gigging and traveling, that is a different story.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 12, 2016,
Cool Will ! First amp I ever got was a Vox Valvetronix, years ago back in the US. I put some money into it, looking back, I wish I had just gotten an AC30 instead. I have never really had a "professional" amp, once I figure out what's going on in my life, it's something I will consider! Thanks for your input man it's good to hear from you.