Does anybody know any good metal bands that use 7 string guitars?

[SOLVED] I have decided to just stick with a 6. It's not worth buying a 7.

When I say metal I mean metal, not that Djent trash where you just quickly play some random low nonsense and then some random high notes.

Anyway, I'm about to purchase an RG7 and I'd like to know of some good bands that use 7 strings.
Last edited by RobertasACDC at Oct 13, 2016,
Quote by RobertasACDC
When I say metal I mean metal, not that Djent trash where you just quickly play some random low nonsense and then some random high notes.
So clearly you're not big on djent, but what are you actually looking for? Lots of metal bands use seven strings, but since you apparently have a strained relationship with the concepts of objectivity and subjectivity it's hard to say whether you'll think they're good if we don't know what you like.

Bear in mind also that you don't necessarily need to use a 7 string for songs written on a 7 string, but also for songs that would require downtuning on a 6 string. Presumably if you're buying a seven string you have some idea what you want to do with it, no?
Quote by RobertasACDC

Anyway, I'm about to purchase an RG7 and I'd like to know of some good bands that use 7 strings.

post fail. no good information for us.

ok, we know you don't do djent, i don't like it either.

what kind of 'metal' do you like? there are very many different types.

i must say i prefer baritones over sevens, just something to think about.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You really haven't thought this through, have you?

Why do you actually want a 7 string if you're even asking this question??

This is a classic case of somebody buying something on pure impulse. Buying something because it looks shiny and because it sounds cool to say you own a 7 string, forking over your cash for one and then realising that you have absolutely no idea what to do with what you just bought. Brilliant.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 11, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You really haven't thought this through, have you?

Why do you actually want a 7 string if you're even asking this question??

This is a classic case of somebody buying something on pure impulse. Buying something because it looks shiny and because it sounds cool to say you own a 7 string, forking over your cash for one and then realising that you have absolutely no idea what to do with what you just bought. Brilliant.

he speaketh thy truth.

____

have you ever played a seven? i don't like how they feel. not that you wouldn't, just they are different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

fuck if you want to be cool why stop at seven???, go for an eight string, or even more badass a nine string.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by Axelfox
To answer the question, sort of: ERGs are popping up in all kinds of metal. Guitarists in Korn, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, High On Fire and others are using all kinds of 7, 8, 9 string guitars and so forth.

But the others are right- you need to analyze why you want an ERG, and then ask us if it's the right path for you. Then maybe we can help.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
also, it is perfectly possible to get into Bstd on a six string, you will need a thorough setup, nutwork, and just a lot of adjustments. some like it, some don't.

for example Kirk Winstein and pepper keenen of down both use C#std with 24.75" scale on guitars regularly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by K33nbl4d3

i have a 230 stringer right next to me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by K33nbl4d3

It even comes with a pedalboard that's classy as fuck.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
^

It even comes with a pedalboard that's classy as fuck.

fuck! polished brass pedals! count me in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Waiting for TS to come back to this thread.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Waiting for TS to come back to this thread.

i shall observe as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
also, it is perfectly possible to get into Bstd on a six string, you will need a thorough setup, nutwork, and just a lot of adjustments. some like it, some don't.

for example Kirk Winstein and pepper keenen of down both use C#std with 24.75" scale on guitars regularly.

And I have guitars that scale in NST, which has a nice low C at its base.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Unearth uses a 7-string. You're very unspecific as far as defining "metal".
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
Quote by RobertasACDC
you just quickly play some random low nonsense and then some random high notes.

That's like 97% of music though.

Andrei Sikhra, Dino Sete Cordas, and George Van Eps are considered to be perhaps the greatest pioneers of the 7 string by their respective biographers.
*your ad here*
One obvious band is Dream theatre.... I love their songs

Also can anyone tell me how to start a new thread or if that is not possible can somebody answer this question
"How to play tabs of & string guitar on a six string guitar?"
I have a 6 string guitar but for the song Illumination theory by dream theatre all the tabs I can find for free are for & string.... Any help?
^ He said Dream Theater.

I would suggest Nevermore The other band I would name is Necrophagist.
If you want to play 7-strings then you should use it to its full extent.

Other artist, although not metal but virtuosos like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
GB&A MS-10 (a teeny tiny solid-state amp)

Coping up with some serious GAS !!!
Last edited by sigma005 at Oct 12, 2016,
Quote by mehul26032202
One obvious band is Dream theatre.... I love their songs

Also can anyone tell me how to start a new thread or if that is not possible can somebody answer this question
"How to play tabs of 7 string guitar on a six string guitar?"
I have a 6 string guitar but for the song Illumination theory by dream theatre all the tabs I can find for free are for 7; string.... Any help?

Your favorite band is not very obvious to anyone if you don't actually tell us what it is. We're not mind-readers.

To answer your question:

Short answer: You can't. If you want to play songs that were recorded with 7 strings, you need a 7 string guitar.

Long answer: You can downtune a 6 so that the 6th string matches the tuning of a 7 and tune the remaining strings to the same 6 string guitar intervals relative to that note. But in doing that, the interval between the 2nd and 3rd string on a downtuned 6 ends up not being the same on a 7. The major 3rd interval effectively shifts upward a string on a 7, which affects what the 2nd string is tuned to, and by extension what the 1st string is tuned to, relative to a downtuned 6.

To illustrate this,

A 7 string in standard tuning is tuned: B E A D G B E
A 6 string tuned to B standard is tuned: B E A D F# B

Notice how the 1st and 2nd string on a 6 string are not tuned the same way as a 7.

The consequence of this is that many of the shapes of chords, scales, arpeggios etc. on a 7 string do not carry over to a 6 string very well, if at all. Many chords on a 7 string are impossible to transpose on a 6.
Quote by Axelfox
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 12, 2016,
Quote by Louskates22
Checkout within destruction, thy art is murder, and Amon Amarth

Pretty sure Amon Amarth plays drop A, B standard and C standard with 6's.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Yeah I was gonna say Unearth. Trivium on the crusade, shogun...Korn haha
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Yeah Amon Amarth use 6 strings. Apart from that I think everything listed here is correct.

I was hoping for a good read but TS appears to have abandoned this thread so I am disappoint.

To answer the question:

Animals As Leaders
Avantasia
The Contortionist
Devin Townsend
Dream Theater
Fear Factory
Meshuggah
Monuments
Northlane
Periphery
Steve Vai
Tesseract
Thy Art Is Murder
Trivium
Veil of Maya

Owait all those bands have low notes followed by high notes. Never mind.

alhaq369
I think you guys scared TS away

I too am not a fan of djent or any musical onomatopoeia for that matter.

As far as ERG I personally do not have a great need for them I do however own one seven string it is a Schecter Damien Elite 7 I bought it in near mint condition for $300 from a friend and TBH although it is a decent and vey playable guitar it doesn't get a lot of amp time simply because I prefer 6 strings and own several of them so I can afford to have them tuned differently to facilitate my needs (I don't typically tune down lower than C).

I prefer the scale and neck width of 6 strings but the 7 does come in handy on occasion.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by dannyalcatraz

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A 7 string in standard tuning is tuned: B E A D G B E
A 6 string tuned to B standard is tuned: B E A D F# B

There is absolutely no reason you can't tune your 6 string to B E A D G B.
Then you can play everything the same as on a 7 string except for the highest string, works very well for bands that don't have much lead playing. (Also yeah, you can't play really big chords but those are pretty rare anyway.)
Quote by NSpen1
There is absolutely no reason you can't tune your 6 string to B E A D G B.
Then you can play everything the same as on a 7 string except for the highest string, works very well for bands that don't have much lead playing. (Also yeah, you can't play really big chords but those are pretty rare anyway.)

There's no reason you can't. But I don't think the nature of Dream Theater's music is going to make that a realistic option.
Quote by Axelfox
OP triggers Djent fags so hard they start pretending they dont like it

Quote by trashedlostfdup
post fail. no good information for us.

ok, we know you don't do djent, i don't like it either.

what kind of 'metal' do you like? there are very many different types.

i must say i prefer baritones over sevens, just something to think about.

O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no reason you can't. But I don't think the nature of Dream Theater's music is going to make that a realistic option.

True but you're likely to be able to play more of it with a B E A D G B tuning which is closer to a standard 7 string tuning, than B E A D F# B. And in general it's a better option, some bands it will work well for if not Dream Theater.
You really need two 6 strings, one tuned B E A D G B for rhythm and one E A D G B E for lead
I know you've resolved some questions but here's some 7-string music that's pretty cool. I own a 7 string and it really smashes pretty much any other guitar I have with its tone. These songs aren't really generic metal but they have elements of it

Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
T00DEEPBLUE True in general, but sometimes when people buy things they learn to like them. I bought my first guitar on impulse b/c it looked cool (basically). Been playing for 10+ years now... That being said, I have almost impulse purchased 7 strings. Luckily I actually tried it out and discovered that I play it just like a 6 string so its definitely not a good purchase for me.
I have a seven string, thought I'll need it in my new band as the other guitarist had one, he left so now I am back to a 6 string

There's just always something awkward for me in the expanded neck and the low notes are just much better when played by a bassist.

Nevermore used at the end of their career 7 string to some extent, out of the new crop of bands I think I only like what Allageon is doing with it.
diabolical
The expanded neck is a bit awkward at first but the more you play it the better it gets. Since I started playing the 7 string, my playing on all other guitars has gotten way better because it forces me to use my hands more efficiently
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)