UPDATE:Solved. Thanks for the suggestions! I went to the local shop and played an RG421. It's a nice mahogany guitar that sounds exactly like what I want. The stock pickups aren't bad and that means a lot considering that I won't make the upgrade to an SD pickup for a while because I don't have that much cash to blow. The guitar was $550 but it's on sale for $400.

UPDATE:I've upped my price range to $500.

I was considering a 7 string but I realized that very few bands that I like use a 7 string. I currently use a B.C. Rich Warlock Revenge. It's not really that great. It's more of a looker. Anyway, if you've got any good suggestions I'd like to hear them.

I'll try absolutely any suggestion at my local music store unless you don't have the guitar that was suggested.
Last edited by RobertasACDC at Oct 27, 2016,
Quote by RobertasACDC

I'll try absolutely any suggestion at my local music store unless you don't have the guitar that was suggested.

I don't have a lot of under-$300-new guitars because I rarely buy them, and the ones I have you can't try at your local music store because I wouldn't buy an under-$300 guitar NEW at a local music store.

I have some under-$300-used guitars, though. A Samick Artist Series something or other super strat neck-through (three-piece flamed maple neck with elm body sides) and several Agile AL-2000 Floyd and AL-3100 Floyds, a couple of which were only $200 used, but which would have been at least double that new. \

*Looks around* -- that's about it for what I actually have. Check out rondomusic.com for very good value under $300 new. If you're anywhere in Yerp, look for those Harley Bentons that are just under $300 from what, Thoman's?

Sure you don't want to buy used?
New 7-strings?
Rondomusic.com for Agile 7-stringers. Otherwise, used a few budget models like the Ibanez RG7x221 (x=2,3,4), Schecter SGR C-7, ESP M17, Washburn WG587, Jackson JS22-7...all budget ones, but you can probably score most for under $150 without any effort on Guitar Center and probably $200 or less new. I lucked out early this year and got the WG587 for like $80 used, so if you do decide to go used, the holidays are coming up and you might see some price drops to clean out stock.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by RobertasACDC
I WAS considering a 7 string but I realized that very few bands that I like use a 7 string. I currently use a B.C. Rich Warlock Revenge. It's not really that great. It's more of a looker. Anyway, if you've got any good suggestions I'd like to hear them.

So lets clear up a few things to help get you some answers.
1. Are you still looking for a 7 string or are you looking at a 6 string now or either?
2. What type of music do you want to play? - I am assuming metal but you know what they say about assumptions
3. What don't you like about your current guitar that you want to improve on with a new guitar?
4. Do you have a preference for guitar shape - pointy, Vs, superstrat, LP?
5. Are you willing to buy used?
6. Where are you located generally?
guitarsngear 1. I'm looking for a six. There just isn't enough non-Djent songs to cover on a 7. Pickups cost more and strings are harder to find. A six in Drop C is more than enough.
2. Yes, metal (5FDP and Disturbed mostly).
3.My guitar's neck is a bit too fat, the weight distribution is so poor that standing feels terrible, and agathis is a poor tonewood.
4.Guitar shape really doesn't matter. It could be Strat style (like an Ibanez RG) or it could be an Explorer type design (Jackson Kelly).
5. I'm willing to buy used if I won't need to make adjustments (i.e. Truss rod adhustments and such).
6. I'm currently located around Salisbury MD.

In addition to that, I've upped my price range to $500. Whatever I decide to buy will probably be used for 5+ years.
dspellman I'm willing to buy used if it doesn't need any significant adjustments or fixes. Paint scratches don't bother me too much, however.
guitarsngear I'all be going to my store within a few days to try some guitars around the $400-600 range. I'd like to try a Ibanez RG and a Jackson Kelly.
You could get a nice Jackson DK used for around $400 I think. The Kelly is a good choice as well from what I hear..
Truss adjustment could be needed on a new guitar, as well as going from e standard to c standard. Different string gauge, etc.
Best bang for the buck is ALWAYS bought used. Usually you can get a first rate guitar with a little buckle rash for 1/2 price. Find an unmolested guitar played by a pro that is moving on to something else. It will be set up well and he wants it gone so he can get that new PRS Artist, Suhr, or whatever.

Jackson, Ibanez, Gibson SG are all viable axes for under $500 used in VG condition.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
There's a transparent green Carvin DC-135 (HSS pickup configuration) on the LA Craigslist for under $500 at the moment. Neck-through 24 fret, 25" scale (probably), ebony fretboard, gold hardware.
A Truss rod adjustment is part of a normal setup and shouldn't discourage you from buying a guitar its going to need to be done on any guitar eventually, its also very easy to do yourself with a little research.

For $500 you could find a lot of good guitars on the used market,

Jackson DKMG, SLSMG, RR3, KE3. A note on the Kelly - I love the guitar but have found the necks to be hit and miss, some have been perfect and some have just felt off, maybe a little thick or something but just not comfortable and that is within the same model range. The other thing with the kelly is I find they tend to be neck heavey, its an easy fix for a bolt-on just move the strap button to one of the neck screws and the problem is solved.

ESP LTD - you can find probably most of their 1000 series guitar used for that price M-1000, H-1000, MH-1000, EC-1000

Some others to check out would be the Charvel desolation series - they are out of production so used is the only way to go - if you can find a good deal on a level 1 series they are a lot of guitar for the money and used I would expect them to be in the $350-$400 range

Schecter might be another one to check out but I am not overly familiar with their product line.
guitarsngear Thanks for the input! I'm no longer worried about truss rod adjustments because I've heard that it's a simple as "lefty loosy, righty tighty" and takes hardly any time.

I found a nice mahogany RG421 for sale for $150 less than the original price and there's nothing that I dislike about it except for the bridge. My current guitar has a Les Paul style bridge and tailpiece but I guess that sacrifices must be made.
post NGD with guitar pron.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!*** NEW NEW NEW!
2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/