easier to play half step down and sing. is this ok. will it sound right ? how do scales work? in the tuning opposed to standard
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
No problem, it will work fine, though you might have to make small adjustments to neck relief and intonation.. Scales are the same but a semitone lower, so if you play an E scale, for example, it will be in Eb. Conversely, if you want to play a scale in pitched in C, you would have to play C# scale positions.
Friend, you can play in whatever tunning you want to, if u find easier to sing using that tunning by all means go for it.
Scales work the exact same way as in standard. Just as the name says, a half-step down of the original position in comparision with standard tunning,.
Quote by Tony Done
No problem, it will work fine, though you might have to make small adjustments to neck relief and intonation.. Scales are the same but a semitone lower, so if you play an E scale, for example, it will be in Eb. Conversely, if you want to play a scale in pitched in C, you would have to play C# scale positions.

Right. So if I play a g chord a semi down or flat then it's a f# chord. So I would play tht same g position say a g minor pent scale and it would be f#. Same "box" just diff tone. Will it sound good ? It's easier for me to sing. Just trying to dig out what is best for me and my ban mates

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Tony Done is right, it's not a huge deal.
It's the awesome power of the guitar that lets you be able to tune down a half step and it FEELS like it's the same. It's all just a semi-tone lower
Quote by silly6-string
Right. So if I play a g chord a semi down or flat then it's a f# chord. So I would play tht same g position say a g minor pent scale and it would be f#. Same "box" just diff tone. Will it sound good ? It's easier for me to sing. Just trying to dig out what is best for me and my ban mates
Yeah, it'll sound fine. The guitar is an equal temperament instrument so as long as everyone in the band is playing in the same key it'll be fine. Accommodating the singer's vocal range is one of the main reasons people use different tunings on guitar.
My guitars have been tuned down a half step for around 5 years now and I wouldn't want to go back anymore, Singing is a lot easier and your sound just becomes more "ballsy" overall. Only downside is that I have to keep a seperate guitar in standard tuning in case I want to play along with an mp3 or cd
Quote by miyagifokuse
My guitars have been tuned down a half step for around 5 years now and I wouldn't want to go back anymore, Singing is a lot easier and your sound just becomes more "ballsy" overall. Only downside is that I have to keep a seperate guitar in standard tuning in case I want to play along with an mp3 or cd

You can get Transcribe! (or similar) and adjust the pitch to suit.
Quote by silly6-string

Jimi, EVH and SRV all preferred to play 1/2 step down. All those platinum recordings and epic live concerts sounded pretty good.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Quote by SpiderM
You can get Transcribe! (or similar) and adjust the pitch to suit.

Why do you mean? Like up or down a semi tone? Changing the key?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string

There are softwares that allow the user to change the pitch of a song. You can have the song play in whatever pitch you select (changing the key of the song) though it can sound "glitchy; for lack of better word" from what i have experienced.
renatofrmsantos

I use pitch shifting a lot, using Cool Edit Pro, for convenience. The plugin I use also alters the time, so I adjust that as well, to get it back more or less to the original.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 14, 2016,
Quote by silly6-string

Yes, it goes up or down in semi tone steps. From memory, I think you can alter it about 6 semitones either way.
even though GNR is all half step down, it still aint easy to sing those screamin' high Axl parts!

anyway, not to hijack the thread, but I go back and forth on the same guitar (I only have one electric) from half step to standard but don't notice a major difference in intonation or action or anything, is this something that can damage the guitar if I keep doing it?