Poll: Which guitar is better in your opinion?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar is better in your opinion?
Epiphone LP Custom Pro
3 38%
LTD EC-1000 Black (EMG pickups)
5 63%
Voters: 8.
Hi everyone

I'm a beginner in the world of electric guitars. I bought a used Ibanez gio awhile ago and now i want to buy a new guitar (always dreamed of a LP shape guitar) .
I did an intense guitar researching and ended up with those two guitars (Epiphone LP custom pro) & (LTD EC-1000 EMG black)

Both are great guitars but I want to know which one of them would be the best. To be honest, the look of the EC-1000 is much better in my opinion (abalone inlays on the neck is the best thing i have ever seen on a guitar ). but the look is not a major factor. sound and quality are more important, and here comes ur part . As I said before, I'm a beginner and don't have that much knowledge about pickups, wood, hardware, bridge....etc. I don't want to spend money on the wrong choice and regret later.

So, I would like to take ur advice about those guitars. Also, I would like to know the price of the (ec-1000 black), cuz I haven't find any official prices.

BTW, I don't play a single style, so I would prefer a guitar that goes along with any style and my budget is between 500$-1000$

Regards...
Out of the two, I'd go for the LTD. In my experience, they built a great quality instrument, better than the experiences I've had with Epiphone (not that those have been bad).

The LTD will have (I believe) a slimmer neck, if that makes a difference. It is definitely more oriented towards the metal/hard rock player whereas the Epi is more traditional.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The EC-1000 costs about twice as much as an Epiphone LP Standard so it's not really a fair comparison.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The EC-1000 costs about twice as much as an Epiphone LP Standard so it's not really a fair comparison.

Am talking about (LP Custom Pro), not (LP Standard)
Outside of the cosmetic differences, they're the same guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Those are both common models and you need to go play both.

They are going to feel completely different - both physically and sonically. The neck joints and any shaping of the single cut out make a huge difference.

Or just buy the one that inspires you to play it by the looks alone at this point. You'll figure out what you like and don't as you go along.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
Those are both common models and you need to go play both.

They are going to feel completely different - both physically and sonically. The neck joints and any shaping of the single cut out make a huge difference.

Or just buy the one that inspires you to play it by the looks alone at this point. You'll figure out what you like and don't as you go along.

metalmingee makes a good point, They're different animals, So if playing them is an option then that's your best bet, If not then flip a coin, as one over the other wont make much of a difference at this point of your journey anyway, Just load the cart and slap that mule on the ass, You can always horse trade the mule later on down the trail, Both will be of the same quality, and yes made in Asia, And in many cases made at the same Asian factories, We call that outsourcing, Meaning the logo on the head stock only denotes whos design it is not who actually made the guitar, And window dressing is just that, a fancy mule wont pull the cart any better than a plain Jane mule, It just looks better going down the trail, in fact I have some pretty plain Jane mules that eat painted ponies for breakfast, So don't judge a guitar by the looks but by what you prefer,

Guitars/ Electric:
FACS Lola LE 001
FACS Sheena LE 001
FACS Delia, CO Bigsby FM
Valco/Supro Airline JB Hutto, Modified MIDI
Blacklund JBD 100
Blacklund JBD 400
Godin XTSA/ MIDI
Agile Interceptor Pro 625 EMGFR

Amps:
Kustom Double Cross 100 x Kustom DC 412a Celestion V30
Bugera TriRec Infinium 100 x Kustom DC 412b Celestion V30
Kustom Quad dfx 100 2x12 Celestion G12p 80 combo
Peavey TNT 130 1x15 EV EVH15b combo.
Last edited by nastytroll at Oct 12, 2016,
The EC-1000 I would expect to be of better quality than the Epiphone, at least that is what I have found when playing those models. Along with a thinner neck the EC also has a slimmer body which I find more comfortable and it weighs less. If you are wanting to play a wide variety of music the EMGs might not be the best bet, they can do everything from clean to metal but they excel in the hard rock/metal genre. However pickups can be changed and I believe you can get a tobacco burst EC that has seymour duncan pickups in it which would solve the problem except it wouldn't be black then.

As dumb as it might seem how a guitar looks does matter, if you love the look of a guitar you will want to pick it up and play more - very important when starting out to keep yourself motivated - so don't discount looks completely.

Neither of these guitars would be considered "beginner" guitars so either way you are going to get a decent instrument to play.
They are both pretty solid guitars, but I'd give the edge to the LTD. I'm getting to the point where locking tuners are a must for any new guitar I look at! Then again the LTD is quite a bit more money.

Other question, do you want EMGs? Then again, there are ECs with passive pickups. I've always wanted the ec-1000 in amber sunburst :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Did you look at the Epiphone LP Tribute. Nice guitar for a reasonable price.
I would say get the LTD, I own an Epi Les Paul Custom Pro and the electronics have totally crapped out on it so my neck pickup is obscenely loud compared to my bridge pickup and then just cuts out randomly for no reason at all. Also the pots make a racket when they are touched.

I have treat this thing like it is made of glass and it has still gone south. I need to completely replace all the electronics on it when I can be arsed.
My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
Squier Stratocaster (modified)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
they are just flat out different guitars. the only thing in common is the shape of the body. I have owned several LTD EC's (including an EC1000) and own two les pauls (gibson) and a few other gibsons.

the neck profiles are substantially different. the neck joint is too. the body thickness and contours are different. pickups as well.

having said that, EC's are great, but i guess that there is a reason that they didn't stick around. personal preference for sure.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I would say get the LTD, I own an Epi Les Paul Custom Pro and the electronics have totally crapped out on it so my neck pickup is obscenely loud compared to my bridge pickup and then just cuts out randomly for no reason at all. Also the pots make a racket when they are touched.

I have treat this thing like it is made of glass and it has still gone south. I need to completely replace all the electronics on it when I can be arsed.

a dodgy switch or pots can be saved with some contact cleaner most often. the jack may just need to be bent back or replaced. not that it should happen, but sometimes it does.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

I am not a fan of EMG pickups but that's a personal choice. My band plays a very wide variety of styles so I have a selection of guitars that vary from full hollow bodies and semi-hollows to a number of Les Paul modals.. I have no hands on experience with the LTD line but I have 5 Epiphone Les Paul's a Standard, Ultra II, Custom and two 1960 Tribute modals. I can recommend them all highly. The Epiphone Tribute's are a big step above the others as they include authentic Gibson 57 pickups and Gibson hardware.

Another brand to seriously look at is the Agile 3100. It is cheaper than either and is a high quality Les Paul style guitar.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
a dodgy switch or pots can be saved with some contact cleaner most often. the jack may just need to be bent back or replaced. not that it should happen, but sometimes it does.

Thanks for the info I'll get some contact cleaner on Friday when I get paid and give everything a once over and see what's what before I just buy all new pots and a switch for it.
My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
Squier Stratocaster (modified)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Thanks for the info I'll get some contact cleaner on Friday when I get paid and give everything a once over and see what's what before I just buy all new pots and a switch for it.

deoxit is my preference, it will last you for a very long time. just Google/YouTube it and it should be fairly obvious

I don't want to thread jack, so lets get back to the OP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7