Page 1 of 2

What if, instead of England, a different tiny island nation once ruled world commerce and government? What if it was Madagascar? What if it was Sri Lanka or Iceland? What would "professional" clothes look like? What would "common decency" be? What would "room temperature" be? And so on...

"Professionalism is a funny term, because it masquerades as neutral despite being loaded with immense oppression. As a concept, professionalism is racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, classist, imperialist and so much more — and yet people act like professionalism is non-political. Bosses across the country constantly tell their employees to ‘act professionally’ without a second thought. Wear a garment that represents your non-Western culture to work? Your boss may tell you it’s unprofessional. Wear your hair in braids or dreadlocks instead of straightened? That’s probably unprofessional too. Wear shoes that are slightly scuffed because you can’t yet afford new ones? People may not think you’re being professional either."

What is professionalism? Is it racist and classist? Discuss.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Classist? Maybe, I can see the difference between the blue collar and white collar worker
But racist? Just sounds like a way to undermine the point of being a professional in the workplace and by doing so sets up a negative connotation under false pretenses.

That twitter quote user is provably a feminist pseudo intellectual tbh
The only people who think professionalism is racist and classist are probably just looking for an excuse to wear scuffed shoes, have silly hairstyles and dress in tribal rags or something
I have nothing important to say
It's racist and classist to presume that people cannot adapt their behaviors, and to use that as an excuse for personal failure in your career.

Selling anything and doing business generally means cooperating. Being conservative in attire and appealing to your audience are standards across cultures when engaging in trade. It wouldn't look drastically different in substance if some other countries had been the most recent dominant traders.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
It's racist to say it's racist as if minorities can't be professional.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Of course 'professionalism' wouldn't escape cultural ideology, but putting it that way is dumb. It isn't just about sublimating minority identity but also about work ethic and behavior. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater there.

Also I'd argue it has more to do with high/low culture divisions and perception of racial identity being "low class". Although I wouldn't attribute workplace sexism to "'professionalism' lol, it goes way beyond that into culture at large.

I mean you could similarly argue that hiring practices carry the same coding but let's not dismiss that process nor attribute those prejudices to that. It's like saying "television is sexist". Cmon now.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
I don't see a race component as much, but feel that racial types are projected upon people which has a similar effect.

I've always found the idea of wearing the best clothes you have to interviews (or just a suit) to be odd. It seems to be much more about affect and facade than anything to do with competency or merit.
SJW millennial doesn't get job. Invents excuse about professionalism being racist to feel better about self.
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
SJW millennial doesn't get job. Invents excuse about professionalism being racist to feel better about self.

Buzzword Checklist
SJW [X]
Millennial [X]
Racist [X]
Cuck [ ]
Trump [ ]
Lazy [kinda]

Good job!

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Black t-shirt
Black skinny jeans
Adidas shoes

^professional clothes
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Lazy, Trump-Hating SJW Cuck Millenial thinks professionalism is racist because xir gender studies degree doesn't qualify xir to be an engineer.
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
Lazy, Trump-Hating SJW Cuck Millenial thinks professionalism is racist because xir gender studies degree doesn't qualify xir to be an engineer.

By Jove, I think you've got it!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
1 more

Professionalism is proofreading your tweets before you post them
It was my privilege
Quote by Banjocal
I don't see a race component as much, but feel that racial types are projected upon people which has a similar effect.

I've always found the idea of wearing the best clothes you have to interviews (or just a suit) to be odd. It seems to be much more about affect and facade than anything to do with competency or merit.
It's basically about you saying to your potential employer "I know you're a fuckwit who's easily impressed by this bullshit".

But seriously, professionalism is about a standard of work, and if your job involves interacting with people from outside your own company/division/team, then at the very least, putting on trousers and picking the stray Quavers out of your hair isn't a bad idea.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I fail to see what a suit says about one's work ethic, ability or cleanliness

It just seems mired in pretense. It's much more about appearance and affecting status than it is to do with anything that matters.

But the "very least" thing I take issue with simply because being clean and being presentable are different things, and this idea that a suit is more presentable or "professional" comes back to that pretense.
Quote by Banjocal
It seems to be much more about affect and facade than anything to do with competency or merit.

Welcome to uh, the world.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by Banjocal
I fail to see what a suit says about one's work ethic, ability or cleanliness

It just seems mired in pretense. It's much more about appearance and affecting status than it is to do with anything that matters.

But the "very least" thing I take issue with simply because being clean and being presentable are different things, and this idea that a suit is more presentable or "professional" comes back to that pretense.
It's also indicative of your willingness to eat shit in exchange for money, because that's what work is.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I'm well aware that's the way things are, and of course if I want a job I'll play the game.

Doesn't mean it isn't incredibly shallow to accept it as given. It's a menu for meal thing - people seem to think their cardboard print of fish and chips will taste just like the real thing. The ancient Greeks called society out on this shit - we've learned nothing.
If you go to weatherspoons, then that will be true of all items.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I actually hate people in full well fitted suits they make me feel like I cannot trust them

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
What a dumb fucking premise of a thread.

I don't even want to touch this, I've had to scour my face of inerrant chili bits for the last hour and I'm slightly soused.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EndTheRapture51

What if, instead of England, a different tiny island nation once ruled world commerce and government? What if it was Madagascar? What if it was Sri Lanka or Iceland? What would "professional" clothes look like? What would "common decency" be? What would "room temperature" be? And so on...

What is professionalism? Is it racist and classist? Discuss.

I couldn't think of a better example of the antithesis of professionalism than bitching about it.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by Banjocal
well fitted suits are comfy tho

a good peacoat is even better

Yeah but when you meet a person and they have a full three piece suit on and slicked back hair and expensive fancy cufflinks and well shined shoes and a little goatee there's something used car salesperson about them

EndTheRapture51

Hey now, isn't judging based on appearances unprofessional?

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by JustRooster
EndTheRapture51

Hey now, isn't judging based on appearances unprofessional?

judging anyone or anything is racist/classist/sexist/ableist/oppressing metalheads

I regularly judge people and can confirm this.

Vote me in and I'll judge shitposters.
Ten bucks says the person who made that twitter post did so after being told they were unprofessional for yelling at the receptionist after they didn't get a job that they wore shorts and a T-shirt to the interview for

Edit: Wait, that's not twitter, that's tumblr

That just makes me even more certain about this

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 12, 2016,
rt suits look better than your mumbo jumbo grass skirts and loincloths

hmu minorities
It was my privilege
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_suits

I don't think any other culture has had suits for doing buisness ever, other cultures have traditional clothing, and the like, but not shit you wear just to sit at your office desk or go to meetings in.

Of course if professionally just means clean and made for the job, whatever.
My PC is kill, please consider buying a physical copy of clockwork calamity to help out, and spread the work, I need all I an get.
https://daydreamanatomy.bandcamp.com/merch It's 12 usd plus shipping, but on my end printing and shipping add up to 7.50 usd, pls pay extra if you can, it'd help me out a lot. If I can't write music, play game, watch anime, shit post, I'll become an alchy again.

Please check out my New Album!!!

BandCamp (5 usd)
iTunes (6 usd)
Official Band Website
Last edited by stratkat at Oct 12, 2016,
I dropped off three suits at the tailor earlier this morning. I'm brown. Checkmate, SJWs.
I'm aware that professionalism can be applied in racist/sexist/classist ways, but the way it is taught and practiced where I currently work is not. It absolutely was racist in environments i had worked in previously....though I wish I could attribute it to stupidity and not racism.
cat
I had a long post but in short:

there is lots of discrimination in the professional world

but professionalism itself is not racist/classist/sexist
Quote by chrismendiola
I dropped off three suits at the tailor earlier this morning. I'm brown. Checkmate, SJWs.
professionalism backfiring on itself checkmate anti essjayuwus
translation: I'm a useless POS and no one will hire me waaaaaahhhhhhhhh

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
translation: I'm a useless POS and no one will hire me waaaaaahhhhhhhhh

psh, spoken like a whit----oh shit

no wait, I'm right. Asians are basically whites.
It was my privilege
this man was passed over for a promotion many times because his cultural traditions do not fit "professionalism"

Quote by StewieSwan
psh, spoken like a whit----oh shit

no wait, I'm right. Asians are basically whites.
#trump2016 and everything

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2