Whats up everyone, been a few years since I've been here! Its awesome to see so many people who were here 5+ years ago still so active. Anyways...

I broke out my Vox AC15CC1 yesterday with one of my buddies and while he was noodling around on it the sound almost completely shut off.

The amp remained on and there was a very faint sound coming from the speaker with the volume knobs turned pretty far up but that is about it.

I replaced both fuses and checked the connections and those seem fine but there is still next to no sound.

The tubes also light up.

Anyone had an issue like this? I'm leaning towards maybe a blown speaker or something like that, but we were playing on maybe 1/3 volume. He was using an 8 string so maybe it blew the speaker?

Honestly I have no idea and I've been out of the guitar game for a few years right now so any help is welcome! Happy to answer any follow ups...

Thanks for the help!
Matt
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
If your amp has an external speaker output and you have some other speaker cabs you can test with the amp that would be a way to find out if it's a speaker issue or not. (Just make sure you match the impedance).
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
A lit tube does not necessarily mean it is working properly. Try a known-good preamp tube through all the preamp positions to see if you can find the culprit. Check the power amp positions as well with a known-good matched pair of EL84's.

Also be sure it was not a bad cable or something wrong with the guitar. Try both a known working guitar and cable and see if the issue is still present. Also be sure the cable did not get unplugged a bit accidentally, it has happened to me before...

If all that fails, then my next guess is one of the internal fuses (or did you check those already) is blown.
Hmm. Replaced one of the tubes that I suspected was bad and still not getting any sound.

So again...

Turn the amp on, standby for a minute or so, power it on, no sound at low volume. Turn volume up to 75% or so and I get a barely audible sound from the speaker.

Any other suggestions? Should I snag some new tubes and replace them all?

Also, ^, tried two guitars and two different cables.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Oct 13, 2016,
Try all the preamp tubes. You can replace them one at a time if you like.
Does this amp have fx loop? If it does you might want to plug in the guitar into fx return and check for sound. It might be power tube as well. Might be time to just retube the whole thing but you wouldn't know which one is acting up
https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Electronics-T-EL84-JJ-MP-Vacuum-Matched/dp/B003FO89CE/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1476399865&sr=8-1&keywords=el84+tube+jj&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Are these acceptable replacements for an VoxAc15CC1?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Have a look here : https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=340
You can buy there or at the very least, look around the site for whatever amp you have to find out what tubes you need.
Its my only source for tubes for my AC30.
And the prices look to be comparable to the one you listed.
And yes, what you listed is the correct set for an AC15CC1
Purchased some new tubes, should be here Sunday, will report back with results!
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Well the shipment got delayed but they just got in today. I installed them and they are set well and lighting up. I powered on the amp and I am getting a little more noise than before, but still not loud. I had the amp turned up to 75% on both boost and volume and I was getting about as much sound as if they were both at 3% or so.

I only replaced the two power tubes with EL84s, not the preamps.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Replace the preamp tubes.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Will give that a go. Also forgot to mention the reverb still comes through fine, not sure if that matters.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Will give that a go. Also forgot to mention the reverb still comes through fine, not sure if that matters.

IIRC the reverb in the AC15CC1 isnt tube driven so that shouldnt matter.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Sounds good. Have some 12AX7s on the way that should be here tomorrow.

Anyone have a resource on how to change those out? They have the big metal casing over them and I haven't dealt with those before.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Oct 19, 2016,
Quote by diceksox1809
Sounds good. Have some 12AX7s on the way that should be here tomorrow.

Anyone have a resource on how to change those out? They have the big metal casing over them and I haven't dealt with those before.

The casings should just come off. Just give them a gentle wiggle, they shouldnt be screwed in IIRC.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Welp. All tubes replaced, same issue.

Any other ideas? Or anything I can do to troubleshoot better for anyone to answer?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
At this point I might consider maybe taking it into a tech. Make sure you let him know of what issues you are having and that you have tested the amp with new tubes and you are still dealing with the problem. Hopefully somebody else will chime in and give a second opinion but I'm thinking that's probably the best option.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Welp tech time it is then.

Is their any protocol to firing up the new tubes? Does it take a few hours for them to warm up before they are full power? Or should they work right awaY?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!