Ok.So I am going to make a home studio and I need good headphones.But I want headphones that would be suitable both for the studio and music on the go(through my phone).I currently have shure srh145 and they are awesome for both.I am currently wondering between these models
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro
Sennheiser HD-380 Pro
AKG K-271 MKII
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 X
If you could tell me which one of these is best for that kind of purposes or others in the same price range,I would be extremely grateful.
And by the way,I have a VERY big head and I usually break the headband over time(from the preasure).So I am wondering if these or the ones you recommend will endure,because my shure srh145(and some others)already breaked.Cheers!
Hmmm. In my experience you want personal headphones to make the music sound good (full bass, crisp highs), while studio headphones, like studio monitors, should have a flat response so they don't color the recording in any way and let you hear the "raw" sound of things.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by 8Len8
Hmmm. In my experience you want personal headphones to make the music sound good (full bass, crisp highs), while studio headphones, like studio monitors, should have a flat response so they don't color the recording in any way and let you hear the "raw" sound of things.

Yeah, of course. For studio purpose you want something as flat as it gets. But it doesn't mean that listening to music won't be nice with those. I own Audio Technica M50X and M40fs and listening to music is great with those, better than any ordinary headphones I've tried. And it works great for studio stuff (thruth be told, M50 are a lot better than M40, but M40 is still very nice).
Also interested in the audio-technica M50x. Thanks for the thread and reply.
Nice reference quality headphones? Sony MDR 7506 Out of production now but still available. Personally I can't stand listening to headphones with a bunch of "enhanced" bass and treble. Just sounds like a lot of boom and sizzle to me.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 12, 2016,
I have the ATH-M50x but they are the only pair I've had so no help on a comparison.

I use them for silent practice via ReValver on my computer as well as for music and movies. Significant improvement over my Bose earbuds I use for phone calls.

I'm very satisfied with them.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Are you sure the MDR 7506 are out of production? They're available everywhere.

In any case, the 7506's are a studio mainstay, as are the Sennheiser 280s, AKG 240, BeyerDynamic 770.
The Audio-Technica M50x are in that category as well.
There's no best, only personal preference; all are good reference headphones.
Quote by dspellman
Are you sure the MDR 7506 are out of production? They're available everywhere.
There's no best, only personal preference; all are good reference headphones.

Looks like they are back by popular demand. For a few years the 7506 were replaced by a newer variant and hard to find but now they are available everywhere again. Headphones are a very personal choice for sure.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Damn,you guys are awesome.Well I am usually more of a bass person.But for recoeding you need flat sound.I have a Sharp stereo (and some other stereos.lots of power,i connect everything in one.)and it has an eq and I can set it to flat and it becomes the perfect monitor(as it is designed for hifi/home cinema/home studio.16000 euro.worth it)and bassically I have a monitor,but you can't always blast out the loudspeaker and I like headphones expieriemce,So .I will check more replies and see how this one goes.
Cajundaddy And I like boosted up bass and treble . hehe,well .I wasn't interested in the sony headphones.Thanks anyways
Quote by ratchet5534
JackovSlayerhmmm.Interesting.Thanks!

You're welcome. TBH, I've never tried any of the expensive headphones that are made just for listening to music. I have tried only cheap and mid-range models (I guess). But still, listening to music with my ATH is great.
JackovSlayerYeah.Ya know if I have an EQ I can get whatever sound I want,So I guess I will go with the audio technica or AKG
I don't have much knowledge about this. But one of my friends has a home studio and he recently bought new headphones. I tried those headphones. The sound quality was amazing. He told me that he got these affordable noise isolating headphones online from SoundMAGIC. I think you should also try this out.
I've never been let down by Audio-Technica. They make an EXCELLENT product.