Hello everyone,

For years now I've been playing on a Peavy Evoy 110 and it has served my initial purposes greatly. Now that I'm moving ino the gigging scene I'm now in the market for a new amplifier. After some research and advice from others, I've been looking at the Vox AC30. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give some advice and point out a few other amps around the same price bracket that would be worth a look at.

Cheers,
Tom
Guitars:
Fender Jazzmaster HH Olympic White
Epiphone ES-355 TV Pelham Blue Limited Edition
Crafter Traveller

Amp:
Peavy Evoy 110

Pedals:
Boss RC-30
TC Electronic Flashback
Mooer Trelicopter
Answer all these questions to help us help you:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

I would absolutely LOVE to recommend an AC30 to you, but it depends on the genres you most play. If you are primarily a metal/br00tz guy, I would suggest something like the Peavey 6505, but not an AC30. Any genre short of the kind of gain needed for metal (classic rock, blues, jazz, P&W, ambience, grunge, rock) I think an AC30 can handle like a champ. Try to go used.

AC30C2's and AC30CC2's can be found on the used market for great prices. Definitely try to get a model with the Celestion Blues as the speakers. The Greenback speakers that come in the current C2's give the amp a more Marshally vibe, the Celestion Blue is more traditional VOX. The CC2 has a bunch of bells and whistles, the C2 is a little more reserved. If you have a really high budget, you can look into the AC30 6/TB (AC30 TB/AC30TBX) series, which is the 90's Korg "Reissue" of the JMI-era AC30. They have a really great sound, but they also do not have a master volume and they are really loud. Also look into the hand wired series, as they have a different feature set than the other new production models. Either way, try to go used- you'll get more bang for buck there.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 13, 2016,
Will Lane
Hey,

Firstly thank you for your response!

Budget? - $1,000-$1,500 AUD

Genres? - I mostly play alternative/indie rock but I also play styles as jazz, folk, shoegaze, ambient etc. I would like some nice clean tones

New or Used? - Either would be fine but preferably new

Home or Gig? - I do both, and I have a full PA system. I play in a few different bands.

Closest City? - Melbounre, Australia

Current Gear? - Amp: Peavy Evoy 110
Guitars: Fender Jazzmaster HH Olympic White
Epiphone ES-355 Limited Edition TV Pelham Blue
Crafter Traveller Acoustic Guitar
Pedals: Boss RC-30
TC Electronic Flashback
Mooer Trelicopter
Guitars:
Crafter Traveller

Amp:
Peavy Evoy 110

Pedals:
Boss RC-30
TC Electronic Flashback
Mooer Trelicopter
With the genres and budget you listened, an AC30 will definitely get you there. However, keep in mind that generally an AC30's clean, at a band-volume setting, is not as clean as a Fender's clean. The saturation is still very light, though. If you are micing the amp PA support that does not matter as much. I would suggest the C2 or CC2 used so you can save some extra money for pedals, especially if you are doing ambience/shoegaze.
see if you can find a valetech hayseed 15 or 30. i much prefer them to the vox's they are a little more pricey though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
fuck. i missed the aussie part somehow. listen to will.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
AC30 is a solid choice. Peavey Classic 30 is an AC30 knockoff with legit tone all it's own. Fender Supersonic is another great sounding amp at a similar price point. Check em out.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 13, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
AC30 is a solid choice. Peavey Classic 30 is an AC30 knockoff with legit tone all it's own. Fender Supersonic is another great sounding amp at a similar price point. Check em out.
Is it? I always was under the impression it was like the Fender/Marshall voicing like the ValveKing- although I have had very little experience/research with the Classic 30. I guess it makes sense considering the EL84's and "Blue Marvel" speaker. Having trouble finding good video demos of the C30.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 14, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Peavey Classic 30 is an AC30 knockoff with legit tone all it's own.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure it is. A lot of people say the laney vc30 is too, and again I'm not sure it is either.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Thanks a bunch guys for all of your suggestions! I'll be sure to check them all out
Guitars:
Crafter Traveller

Amp:
Peavy Evoy 110

Pedals:
Boss RC-30
TC Electronic Flashback
Mooer Trelicopter
My personal favorites for this type of tonne would be the pre korg vox vt....i personally have tyre blue series from 03 with the 120 what head and matching 2x12 cabinet.... fits the bill perfectly, and still has enough juice for when I want to get heavy, though there are better amps for that
Doggonit! I can't seem to start a thread. I want to know if my boss pedal board will work with fender champion 20 guitar combo amp.
^ which pedal board is it? I don't see why not, though.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

ages since i tried them, but i'd have said the lc30 was more modern (in terms of gain and tone i mean) than the vc30, but i could well be wrong.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

yeah but to be fair the lc30 is pretty different from the lc15. i wasn't talking about the lc15.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

is it? i thought the lc15 was single channel?
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman