Hi all, I bought D'addario electric guitar strings, says on the packet "optimized for D tuning", does that mean it'll cause any damage if I tune to normal? Thanks for any help!!
No, it should not cause ay damage. What string gauge is that? And which one did you use before? If the difference is not very big, you shouldn't have any trouble.
Yes your guitar will catch fire and explode.

You'll be fine.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Gauge is 11 which is the only gauge I ever use. Thanks for the answers, even the sarcastic ones!
Its a marketing gimmick more than anything meaningful, throw 'em on and tune 'er up.
It's okay. If you would start using a string gauge that differs a lot in tension than what you have used before, maybe a truss rod adjustment would be needed. But of course, that is not the case here.
its a non issue. .11's in standard is perfectly normal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

"Trashed's Shop is OPEN!!! Come on in and Check it out! (FRIDAY 2017-01-18)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

Shop Tour!
---> https://youtu.be/KQVlpYaulhA
diabolical

Says on the packet:

D: .011
A: .014
F: .019
C: .0.32
G: .044
D: .056
Quote by RGEI
diabolical

Says on the packet:

D: .011
A: .014
F: .019
C: .0.32
G: .044
D: .056

Oh, I use that set for drop C. It's not a standard 11 set. The bottom strings are a lot heavier and they could feel too tight for standard tuning. I wouldn't recommend those for standard, I would try to change them for standard 11 if it's possible (if that's what you've used before).
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yes your guitar will catch fire and explode.

You'll be fine.

So just to be clear, you're saying that he will escape the fire and explosion unscathed but his guitar won't.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.
JackovSlayer
They feel just great to play, but do you think it'll do any damage in terms of tension and neck and that kinda stuff?
Quote by RGEI
JackovSlayer
They feel just great to play, but do you think it'll do any damage in terms of tension and neck and that kinda stuff?

So you've already put them on your guitar? If you like the feel then it's ok I guess. It is possible to have some damage, but it can also work out fine. If your neck is stiff enough it shouldn't move, I think it's not that big difference in tension to cause lots of movement. What guitar is it exactly?
Quote by RGEI
It's an American Standard Tele.

When did you put those strings on? If nothing happens in a day or 2 or 3 I doubt that anything will happen. Well made strong neck can handle such small variations in tension.
I changed yesterday after the previous replies to my question. Perhaps it's a good idea to just keep it at D tuning when I practice by myself (and when not playing) and tune to E when I play with other people? Just to be safe
I don't think that is neccessary. If you previously had 11s on it, it can probably handle these too. The only question is do you like the feel of a bit heavier set.
I had a problem once where I substituted a string, it was a matter of using a wound g as opposed to a plain, g, bad idea. After a while I happened to notice that the tuning peg from that string looked like it was pulling inward drastically. I am really digging trying out that gauge for my guitar tuned C# standard to be honest.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."