Hey all --

As of yesterday I'm looking into getting a head and a half stack. I have a '73 silverface Twin now, but I'm looking to go bigger. I'm a huge fan of how it sounds, so I would love to get something similar to that. I asked my amp tech yesterday, and he said if I was looking to stay in Fender territory that he recommends a Bassman 100, Showman, or Musicman 130.

As far as style of music that I play, this is a similar guitar tone to mine. eqKWQW-K_oA

I like to keep my amp completely clean, and get all my effects from a fuzz pedal. What I need is a lot of ultra clean volume that takes effects well. I need a nice full sound, with a good amount of low end.

All suggestions are welcome! Obviously like I said I would like to stay in the Fender family, but feel free to suggest other things if you think they would be a better fit.

Thank you!
Matchless Chieftain would do that and probably even one or two better than a Fender.
The Marshall Plexi head also has surprisingly good spankly clean that might be worth checking out. I had the 50 watter point-to-point reissue in the studio and it was a great amp.
Quote by diabolical
Matchless Chieftain would do that and probably even one or two better than a Fender.
The Marshall Plexi head also has surprisingly good spankly clean that might be worth checking out. I had the 50 watter point-to-point reissue in the studio and it was a great amp.

I think I need to go above 100 watts, so I don't think the Chieftain would work.
A bit of an odd duck but some players have used Roland 120 Jazz Chorus for this kind of job. Mesa, Friedman amps might be worth a look as well or a 100 watt Marshall 1959SLP, which is usually bought for its crunch and the jumper trick, but also has a fearsome clean channel.
BiedermannnOver 100W? Do you know how loud 100W is?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence

i like mine. you can find them really cheap too.

i also like my Rivera for cleans. they are probably one of the best clean tones i have ever had.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i used a Bassman 100 head back in the day and that would work for what you want. I ran mine for metal using a RAT pedal and a tubescreamer for the dirt. no loop was the only drawback.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i like mine. you can find them really cheap too.

i also like my Rivera for cleans. they are probably one of the best clean tones i have ever had.

I really envy you.

Quote by monwobobbo
i used a Bassman 100 head back in the day and that would work for what you want. I ran mine for metal using a RAT pedal and a tubescreamer for the dirt. no loop was the only drawback.

Chances are right now between the Musicman and Bassman 100 I'll just get whatever pops up first for a more reasonable price in my budget.
Quote by Biedermannn
I really envy you.

Chances are right now between the Musicman and Bassman 100 I'll just get whatever pops up first for a more reasonable price in my budget.

MM is a good option however they aren't all tube if that makes a difference.
Quote by Biedermannn
I really envy you.

that is what i did.

the HD130 is great, it nails it for me. i snagged it for $300ish on CL a few years ago.

the RD100 was a cooler story though, i paid $360. i bought it from the ORIGINAL owner, he had the receipt, all hang tags, envelope with the manual in, etc. it never even left the house, bone stock, mint. to put the icing on the cake, the tubes in it are NOS Sylvania 6L6GC's (https://tubedepot.com/products/sylvania-6l6gc?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4fy_BRCX7b6rq_WZgI0BEiQAl78nd4jKjvTYiSm9ePBEwFx34Na1_TMkfDixNuAD55cRH4IaAsj38P8HAQ ), which have been pulled for safe keeping. i threw some cheap tubes in there (JJ's) and i love it.

there is on on GC for $400 ATM.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by monwobobbo
MM is a good option however they aren't all tube if that makes a difference.

+1 that is true. i should have mentioned that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

If you like the Twin, there are several amps that have nearly the same circuit from that era of Fender but in other configurations. As far as I know, the Dual Showman Reverb, the Super Reverb, and the Super Six Reverb (I think there may even be a couple others) for a period during the 70s were all pretty much the exact same circuit as the Twin, just with different speaker configurations.

The DSR was the head format, might try and find one of those.

Failing that, the Music Man amps are awesome. I might not go Bassman as it isn't quite the same "pristine" sound the Twin is known for. It still sounds great, but when I think Bassman I think more of broken up, slightly dirty sound. Up to how you set it and how you play of course, but that's just what I associate them with.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
For super sparkly clean- Music Man. I had an RD50 and for chick'n pick'n it was unrivaled. I never got that "clean with a bit of hair on it" that I get with my Super Reverb so the RD has moved on.

Super Showman, Bassman 100, Mesa Mk series all do world-class clean tone with tons of headroom. Make you deaf real quick headroom.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 13, 2016,
Quote by dementiacaptain
It still sounds great, but when I think Bassman I think more of broken up, slightly dirty sound. Up to how you set it and how you play of course, but that's just what I associate them with.

Does the Bassman break up early? That is pretty much what I don't want.
Eeeh not necessarily but when you compare it to a Twin, the cleanest of all cleans...

My main point was that Bassman is a different flavor of Fender, still distinctly Fender and famous in its own right, but Twin it is not.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.