So i have been playing for a year and a half now on electric guitar and i have an option of either i get a new guitar,some thing like gibson sg standard or les paul studio(i have now a squier strat and i really want a gibson) or a bass guitar(which i allways wanted to learn)...so my main concern is if i dont get the guitar(a present from my dad)later i wont have money for that guitar...but on the other side i already have a ok guitar that works and i really want a bass...so what should i do?thanks in advance!
One thing to consider is...do you already have a bass amp? You shouldn't run a bass through your guitar amp because it won't sound good and you may damage the speaker in a guitar amp trying to get those low bass tones. Just a thought.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Here are some things to consider. If you can answer these, you should have your answer.

-Why do you want a bass? Do you want to learn bass? Do you want it for recording? Do you just want to have one to have one?
-And as above, do you have a bass amp already? I'm guessing that you probably don't that's another thing to factor.
-What kind of guitar amp do you have? It might be more worthwhile to get a new guitar amp rather than a new guitar.

Also consider other brands than Gibson. You can get Les Paul or SG style guitars from other companies and get a similar quality guitar for less or a better quality guitar for the same and in either case you have more options in terms of finishes, electronics, etc than with Gibson, especially since you are shooting for a low end Gibson. Also don't rule out looking at acoustic guitars as well.

Once you have some idea, you can check out the appropriate subforum to ask about what to buy. Be sure to have the following information ready for the most help:

-Budget -- keep in mind that if you choose a bass and need a bass amp, your budget will be split between the two
-If you're willing to go used (you can save a lot of money, ie get a better instrument for the same cost)
-Nearest city (so they can scout your local Craigslist if you don't mind used)
-What kind of music you play, favorite players, etc
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.
Thread was moved to forum: Electric Guitar
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Quote by theogonia777
Here are some things to consider. If you can answer these, you should have your answer.

-Why do you want a bass? Do you want to learn bass? Do you want it for recording? Do you just want to have one to have one?
-And as above, do you have a bass amp already? I'm guessing that you probably don't that's another thing to factor.
-What kind of guitar amp do you have? It might be more worthwhile to get a new guitar amp rather than a new guitar.

Also consider other brands than Gibson. You can get Les Paul or SG style guitars from other companies and get a similar quality guitar for less or a better quality guitar for the same and in either case you have more options in terms of finishes, electronics, etc than with Gibson, especially since you are shooting for a low end Gibson. Also don't rule out looking at acoustic guitars as well.

Once you have some idea, you can check out the appropriate subforum to ask about what to buy. Be sure to have the following information ready for the most help:

-Budget -- keep in mind that if you choose a bass and need a bass amp, your budget will be split between the two
-If you're willing to go used (you can save a lot of money, ie get a better instrument for the same cost)
-Nearest city (so they can scout your local Craigslist if you don't mind used)
-What kind of music you play, favorite players, etc

This, for emphasis. I'd also add that if you're serious about a bass, try some out if it fits with your end goal.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587
*mods
Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
I'd also add that I wouldn't really call an SG Standard a "low end Gibson". And I'm a big fan of the Japanese-made stuff like the more expensive Tokais etc.. Apart from that I don't really disagree with what kirsten is saying.

The other thing is, pretty much going on from what kirsten said and implied, do you want a Gibson because you've tried them and love the guitars, or do you want a Gibson because of the name on the headstock? You don't have to justify the purchase to us (and most of us have probably bought a guitar or several because we just wanted one dangnammit!), but just because you like the idea of having a Gibson doesn't necessarily mean you'll get on with one as a guitar, especially if you're currently used to more Fendery guitars currently.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 14, 2016,
I'll just add my opinion to the "names on headstocks" thing. Most of us like to own nice things, and I'm no exception, but I don't believe that there is much correlation, if any, between price and performance over a wide range. If you want a Gibson, fine, but if you just want a Gibson-style guitar, there are less expensive options that might, in fact, also be better functionally. I have a Gibson LP Special, but I rarely play it because it is heavy.

FWIW, in your situation I would go for an affordable bass and amp*, at about the same price as the Gibsons you mention.

* I don't know what the bass players think about this, but I was listening to a bass Roland Micro Cube a few years back, and thought it sounded excellent for its small size at low volme.
JohnnyBoy335 have you ever played a bass?

a bass is a totally different instrument than a guitar. different technique, soot in the mix, etc. it is NOT a guitar tuned one octave lower.

having said that, if you want something different go for it.

There is a reason i own 20 electric guitars and one bass. that is my preference. I play enough bass so that I can record with it and lay down a track.

just my $.02.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!*** NEW NEW NEW!
2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/