I can't sleep, so this is another rambling post from trashed.

i have a 1995ish Mexican Strat in Olympic White with a maple fretboard. i have had it a long time, and i have had half dozen strats come and go in that time period. i love it. it just seems to be losing its luster as of late. it is on the dawn of needing fretwork, at least a level/crown. honestly, it won't get done. That is because it isn't worth the cost of taking it in to get it done, i could pick up another strat.. i will find another one at that time, although it may be hard. probably got another year or two of use on the frets. oh well, maybe it will be a slide guitar when it gets bad enough.

the only thing that has been changed is i put on graphtech saddles on it, as the stamped metal ones were all chewed up from a long life of use.

the nut has been redone once, and i have a nice properly cut bone nut.

i should note that the trem is decked. i should also note that it has a small block. a block may be a good thing to pick up. i have to look into it. it stays in tune well, but two of the tuners are on their way out. what i am going to do is get good tuners for one of my tele's and put the tele's old ones on the strat. that will remedy that problem.

i have been intending in getting the TBX control, i just keep forgetting to order it that is a non-issue.

i set it up a while ago and it plays well.

its just not sounding as good as i remember it. it is one of the very few guitars that i own that i restring every six weeks. strings are fresh.

i like the neck pickup quite a bit. it does what i need. never a fan of bridge pickups on strats so that isn't out of the realm of possibilities. middle is so-so. i don't really want to dump the cash into pickups, but i love the lace in my usa tele+. that could be done, because i could take the new pickups off and put them on another strat at another time.

i guess at this point i am going to do the TBX control and new pots/caps (maybe switch and jack too). it would just take ten minutes.

soooo...

TBX- yes

trem-block? what do you think? i don't want to go GFS. what else is out there. i don't want to dump much money into it, but i think i am going to go brass.

what are some good tuners that would bolt right up to my tele? i don't like sperzel, gotoh, grover, schaller, are all fine. tele's would go to the strat.
new pots, at this rate i am just going to throw some 500k's in there. i am not sure on cap sizes, probably pick up some orangedrops. they are cheap.

i am not sure what to do, it just doesn't sound as shimmery as it used to.

sorry long post, lots of thoughts in my head.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 for a brass big block

I swear by them.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Big steel block or big brass block or big titanium block all have different tonal quality.. try Rosepickups.com they are quality US winder.. Ken will work with you to find the tone and sound you want.. tell him what you want to get and he will recommend the pickup that gets you that sound
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I like the idea of turning the Strat into a slide guitar. Hell- you could even make it fretless...

On the pickup front...trying a different kind might be worth it. Rio Grande Dirty Harry singlecoil-sized P90, perhaps?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I can't sleep, so this is another rambling post from trashed.

i have a 1995ish Mexican Strat in Olympic White with a maple fretboard. i have had it a long time, and i have had half dozen strats come and go in that time period. i love it. it just seems to be losing its luster as of late. it is on the dawn of needing fretwork, at least a level/crown. honestly, it won't get done. That is because it isn't worth the cost of taking it in to get it done, i could pick up another strat.

Where can you buy used strats for $110? That's what a good level and crown with set up costs around here.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

. i will find another one at that time, although it may be hard. probably got another year or two of use on the frets. oh well, maybe it will be a slide guitar when it gets bad enough.

the only thing that has been changed is i put on graphtech saddles on it, as the stamped metal ones were all chewed up from a long life of use.

the nut has been redone once, and i have a nice properly cut bone nut.

i should note that the trem is decked. i should also note that it has a small block. a block may be a good thing to pick up. i have to look into it. it stays in tune well, but two of the tuners are on their way out. what i am going to do is get good tuners for one of my tele's and put the tele's old ones on the strat. that will remedy that problem.
if the tuners aren't broke don't break them by swapping, just .02.
a bigger block may help, but that's up to you. could be money for nothing after the $110 set up/fret level. plus you have other good parts here like the nut and saddles. i'm with you on graphtech saddles for strats, love mine.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

i have been intending in getting the TBX control, i just keep forgetting to order it that is a non-issue.

order it, put it in. half the fun of strats is cheap mods.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i set it up a while ago and it plays well.

its just not sounding as good as i remember it. it is one of the very few guitars that i own that i restring every six weeks. strings are fresh.

i like the neck pickup quite a bit. it does what i need. never a fan of bridge pickups on strats so that isn't out of the realm of possibilities. middle is so-so. i don't really want to dump the cash into pickups, but i love the lace in my usa tele+. that could be done, because i could take the new pickups off and put them on another strat at another time.

not a fan of most strat single coil bridge pups either. i have a jbjr in one ( ) and i just ordered a twang banger (strat sized tele bridge pup) for my other strat. strats can be so versatile of you let them.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i guess at this point i am going to do the TBX control and new pots/caps (maybe switch and jack too). it would just take ten minutes.

soooo...

TBX- yes

trem-block? what do you think? i don't want to go GFS. what else is out there. i don't want to dump much money into it, but i think i am going to go brass.

what are some good tuners that would bolt right up to my tele? i don't like sperzel, gotoh, grover, schaller, are all fine. tele's would go to the strat.
new pots, at this rate i am just going to throw some 500k's in there. i am not sure on cap sizes, probably pick up some orangedrops. they are cheap.

i am not sure what to do, it just doesn't sound as shimmery as it used to.

sorry long post, lots of thoughts in my head.

fret level/crown - new bridge pup maybe to open up some good bridge tones - tbx tbx tbx tbx tbx tbx

then jam a while and revisit it.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by gregs1020
Where can you buy used strats for $110? That's what a good level and crown with set up costs around here.

if the tuners aren't broke don't break them by swapping, just .02.
a bigger block may help, but that's up to you. could be money for nothing after the $110 set up/fret level. plus you have other good parts here like the nut and saddles. i'm with you on graphtech saddles for strats, love mine.

order it, put it in. half the fun of strats is cheap mods.

not a fan of most strat single coil bridge pups either. i have a jbjr in one ( ) and i just ordered a twang banger (strat sized tele bridge pup) for my other strat. strats can be so versatile of you let them.

fret level/crown - new bridge pup maybe to open up some good bridge tones - tbx tbx tbx tbx tbx tbx

then jam a while and revisit it.

i wasn't aware that fretwok was so reasonable. that is an option.

TBX for sure.

a twang banger sounds amazing. i have twang kings in one of my USA teles and love them. thanks.

yeah, graphtech is the answer IMO. i have them on quite a few guitars and have never broken a string at the saddle.

the tuner upgrade is because they are are at the point near failing as in they slip a little bit, etc. the tele tuners are identical to the strat tuners, so i could put new tuners on the tele (which is more of a priority) and just throw the tele ones in the strat. what are your thoughts on that?

i will probably leave the block as is for a while.

thanks Greg.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I like the idea of turning the Strat into a slide guitar. Hell- you could even make it fretless...

On the pickup front...trying a different kind might be worth it. Rio Grande Dirty Harry singlecoil-sized P90, perhaps?

i did that to an '80's gibson i bought for $300... lol. i just sold it for $700 a few months ago with no modding.

it sounded great with a slide, the frets? not so much.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by psp742
Big steel block or big brass block or big titanium block all have different tonal quality.. try Rosepickups.com they are quality US winder.. Ken will work with you to find the tone and sound you want.. tell him what you want to get and he will recommend the pickup that gets you that sound

where would you recommend for checking out blocks?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i wasn't aware that fretwok was so reasonable. that is an option.

TBX for sure.

a twang banger sounds amazing. i have twang kings in one of my USA teles and love them. thanks.

yeah, graphtech is the answer IMO. i have them on quite a few guitars and have never broken a string at the saddle.

the tuner upgrade is because they are are at the point near failing as in they slip a little bit, etc. the tele tuners are identical to the strat tuners, so i could put new tuners on the tele (which is more of a priority) and just throw the tele ones in the strat. what are your thoughts on that?

i will probably leave the block as is for a while.

thanks Greg.

that makes sense with the tuners, if they're slipping then they are past "going" to "gone" and should be replaced. no harm in using the ones off the tele.

yeah a good level / crown is $110 around here, a full refret is around $250-300 i believe.

it is a sexy strat, i remember when you posted pics a while back, def worth a mod or two to get more use out of it.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by gregs1020
that makes sense with the tuners, if they're slipping then they are past "going" to "gone" and should be replaced. no harm in using the ones off the tele.

yeah a good level / crown is $110 around here, a full refret is around $250-300 i believe.

it is a sexy strat, i remember when you posted pics a while back, def worth a mod or two to get more use out of it.

I guess I was thinking a refret price. I think that a level and crown would probably rescue it though.

What tuners would you recommend? I don't want to drill more holes (i am capable just don't want to). not into locking tuners at all.

Thanks! it is a sexy strat with a good story behind it. I will type that out another time.

Thanks Greg
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7