View poll results: Dog licensing
Yes
9 35%
No
17 65%
Voters: 26.
Page 1 of 2
Yes or no?

Dogs are living creatures which are potentially dangerous. People should be tested and demonstrate a minimum level of control over a dog, sound judgement, as well as an ability to care for the animal properly, before being permitted to own one.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Nah, Im rarely in favor of piling on more bureaucratic red tape. It's rarely effective and mostly just ends up adding hassle for everyone just to appease emotions of a minority of people.
Besides, having children should require license before owning a dog.
2 very important things to consider when pushing to enforce a new rule onto people.

1)What problems would be solved by this policy?

2) What will be unintended negative consequences that could appear due to this new policy.

The first one people usually attempt at least, the second one is almost always ignored.
A lot of times, government charging in like a movie hero to cure the world with legislation makes a problem far far worse, or creates an entirely new set of problems.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Oct 14, 2016,
Fuck off lyle
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
1. Dog attacks on children and other innocents, mistreatment of dogs by better welfare.
2. Extra infrastructure regarding purchase of animals, increased burden on police, black market of animals.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Put them all down and save everyone the trouble lmao #Dogs'LivesDon'tMatter #Cats'LivesMatter #Garcia2016
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
I would personally want to be licensed before owning a dog because I don't know how to take care of them or interact with them.
cat
Too much trouble.

I don't have a problem with...ugh...."dog registration", but I don't like the idea of a federal dog database
Seems like an impossible thing to legislate.

Like how would you even know if a person can control a dog?

How would this unfold in a practical way?

You have to be able to make your dog sit on command or something?

What if Mr. Bigglesworth is having a bad day or gets performance anxiety in front of a government official?? Then you just take Mr. Bigglesworth away from his family and stick him in a death row cage?
Quote by EyeNon15
Seems like an impossible thing to legislate.

Like how would you even know if a person can control a dog?

How would this unfold in a practical way?

You have to be able to make your dog sit on command or something?

What if Mr. Bigglesworth is having a bad day or gets performance anxiety in front of a government official?? Then you just take Mr. Bigglesworth away from his family and stick him in a death row cage?

Presumably you have driving tests in America too?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Presumably you have driving tests in America too?

Yeh but you have to provide your own vehicle(or borrow someone elses) that you were allowed to purchase without a license.
Quote by EyeNon15
Yeh but you have to provide your own vehicle(or borrow someone elses) that you were allowed to purchase without a license.

Do you have driving theory tests?

Quote by EndTheRapture51

I think so, it's been a while. I know theres some sort of sign test where u have to point out what road signs mean.
Nah

There are already laws against animal cruelty, meaning you have to take care of your dog(s) properly. Of course this can be hard to enforce, but there's no reason why dog licenses would be any easier to enforce.

And as for the danger your dog could pose for others, I'm sure there are plenty of laws that are applicable to any possible situations, so there are consequences for irresponsible dog owners at least. Licenses would only serve as some form of prevention, but unfortunately it's pretty hard to prevent stupid.
kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it
meow meow meow meow meow meow
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Oct 14, 2016,
No that sounds like some Scandinavian nanny state thing.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by EndTheRapture51

They call it the "written exam" in the USA. It's a requirement to pass the written exam in addition to the driving part of the exam.
Damn Limeys. As Churchill said "Two peoples separated by a COMMON LANGUAGE".
Last edited by TobusRex at Oct 14, 2016,
Yah that but for dogs Basic aptitude test before you're allowed to own and dictate another life.

Quote by EyeNon15
I don't think literacy should be a requirement for having a dog.

I think IQ tests should be required.....not literacy testing.

If you want a dog, they test your IQ and it's below 100....then they should go ahead and euthanize you (and your presumably equally stupid dog) on the spot. It'll be best for the genetic fitness of both species.
ideally yeah cuz people are fucking idiots with dogs. i think dogs are great but the owners very often aren't.

but i'm not sure if it's practical. maybe, iunno. or maybe we should have a constitutional amendment that protects our right to own dogs.

Weird techno music suddenly crests the horizon.

Quote by JamSessionFreak
ideally yeah cuz people are fucking idiots with dogs. i think dogs are great but the owners very often aren't.

but i'm not sure if it's practical. maybe, iunno. or maybe we should have a constitutional amendment that protects our right to own dogs.

Once again Jam sums up everything I want to say, 1-3 posts before I arrive
I don't think there should be licensing, but maybe there should be cheap ways for owners to familiarize themselves with dog care. It'd be silly to devote gov't funds to dog care tests. Instead, legislate for rehabilitative measures against animal abuse. Like if you got someone in your courtroom for burning puppies, they're probably the next Bundy.

Quote by TobusRex
I think IQ tests should be required.....not literacy testing.

If you want a dog, they test your IQ and it's below 100....then they should go ahead and euthanize you (and your presumably equally stupid dog) on the spot. It'll be best for the genetic fitness of both species.

Awful post, Tobus.

She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Once again Jam sums up everything I want to say, 1-3 posts before I arrive

He always comes first
kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it
meow meow meow meow meow meow
I don't think you can consolidate all dog knowledge into a single test well enough to know who is or isnt capable of owning a dog.
No one is going to go in and say, "yeh I want a dog so I can torture it"
Has all the makings of just some government cash racket.
nah, many dog owners actually own stray dogs
so them needing a license just take care of the beast is unnecessary
i can see the validity in needing a licence though, just to show that you actually take care of it.
i agree with the above posters that i'd rather someone have license to have children than a dog lol
too many parents don't know jack shit about raising a kid.
Yea
Too many news stories of people owning like 20 dogs and neglecting them, or dogfighting, or throwing dogs from moving vehicles, etc etc
Most people wanting to own a pet should be required to go through some kind of check anyway
=^● ⋏ ●^=
myanimelist! | steam!
---------
i'm a waste of my freedom / cause i have imprisoned myself
with this crippling lack of wealth / and my decaying sense of self
Yeh because it's way worse to have 20 dogs and neglect them than to plop out 20 human children and neglect them
Yup, but you should need an even more hard-to-acquire piece of documentation to breed the fuckers. Same with cats.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by EyeNon15
Yeh because it's way worse to have 20 dogs and neglect them than to plop out 20 human children and neglect them

Cool, dude. I agree, and never said anything to the contrary.

EDIT: I worded this terribly.
I mean I agree that neglecting children is worse than neglecting dogs, but I don't see what that has to do with anything I said.
Saying that I think pet owners should require checks or licenses doesn't mean I don't think the same should be done for children.
=^● ⋏ ●^=
myanimelist! | steam!
---------
Last edited by institutions at Oct 14, 2016,
If you want to argue that you should have to have a license to own a dog, you should first argue that you should have a license to have a child.

Not that I agree with either, but I would say there would be a greater benefit of restricting certain people from having children than from having dogs.
I knew the child debate would immediately come up lol.

I think that child licensing would be extremely abhorrent. Far too easy for government to potentially control who and who isn't having children then and that is something that absolutely should never be controlled by the state. Look at the situation in China for instance.

Would you lock up a 15 year old girl who got knocked up just because she didn't get an abortion then?

IQ tests are bullshit outside of childhood education and working with incredibly limited adults.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I knew the child debate would immediately come up lol.

I think that child licensing would be extremely abhorrent. Far too easy for government to potentially control who and who isn't having children then and that is something that absolutely should never be controlled by the state. Look at the situation in China for instance.

Would you lock up a 15 year old girl who got knocked up just because she didn't get an abortion then?

Not if she can prove that the child can be taken care of.
We already have something like this in the US (taken care of by DHS I think, i've been there enough when I was younger) and they'll just straight up take your kids away if you can't take care of them.

I think since a 15 year old is still under the guardianship of her parents, it'd have to proven that the parents could help take care of the kid, right?
=^● ⋏ ●^=
myanimelist! | steam!
---------
You should require a license to own a child
ggg1 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg3

Yeah exactly it's called social services and it is a post-birth thing.

Difference with dogs is they don't have human rights and can be bought and sold. Putting reproductive controls on people is way more draconian than restricting sales of animals to people who have met a certain criteria.

The problem there is that in general, a terrible and rotten parent is still going to be better and an ultimately less traumatic childhood than being raised by the state.
"They'll take away your kids away" is an awesome threat. But what they do with those kids when they take them away often times ends up with far worse treatment of the children.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Oct 14, 2016,
I think people should have reproductive controls put on them tbh Nobody should be allowed 8 kids
There are definitely people here in the US (very low income people) who will have a kid every few years to keep that government money rolling in
Kids can't really be bought and sold, but I mean like you can adopt and disown them right. That's close enough, right?

I didn't really want to talk about children tho, considering your thread was made to be about dogs
Why don't you go make one about children, i'm sure it'll get lots of arguments and get you lots of UG IQ or whatever it is you make these threads for
=^● ⋏ ●^=
myanimelist! | steam!
---------
Quote by behind_you
You should require a license to own a child

FUCKING THIS.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Instead of giving weflare to people with human children, let's give it to people that own dogs.
Page 1 of 2