So... I have a laney cubhead 15w, (it sounds good enough in a "rock driven" context) and I have a cab with eminence legends v128 that I used only home ( it sucks! ) on my previous amp ( got my gear sold... and now I'm with this ) the thing is... I'm engaging a metal band and sometimes I need I more focused bottom end that I just can't get ( I've tried all sort of pedals, nothing good enough), power chords on the low strings sound very dull and dead, however open chords, solos, and riffs on the higher strings sound great.

* Can I correct this ( at least a bit )by getting a proper cab for the eminence v128? cuz I'll change the cab anyway, so what kind of cab should I get
luciferlightz7
Maybe it's your head? I'm not a huge fan of Laneys for many reasons. Do you have the option of changing amp head?
Regardless of whether you're buying a new head or not, you'd probably still want a new cab. I would recommend a Marshall 1960a or some kind of Mesa. The 1960a sounds very good and I'm a huge advocate of it. I also like the sounds that Mesa cabs produce (Namely the 4x12s), so you may want to look into that.
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
what all have you tried? all aspects?

I think that sometimes a cab is the scapegoat for tone problems, especially if it has a decent speaker,and is reasonable size and construction.

a cab is a box. (let's see if dspellman pops in), they aren't much different across the spectrum. the biggest difference is open versus closed, and that can have an impact.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
JELIFISH19
adexder

well I like the cub tone for all my other stuff that isn't metal... can I just attenuate it a bit with a nice cab (I need another cab no matter what, mine is a random thing I got in a trade and was with me so I could practice home ) and run it with another preamp when in a metal context? what preamps would you recomend?

If so... my laney has a FX loop...
can I run both at the same time?
will bypassing the laneys preamp damage it's power amp? (guitar ---> preamp --> modulations --> return )
Last edited by luciferlightz7 at Oct 18, 2016,
luciferlightz7
Heads generally have their own preamps, no? If your guitar doesn't have the output for high gain then it's not the amp's fault. If the head can't handle the high gain then you should get a new head rather than trying to fry your current head. There are lots of options out there that can be affordable, and used doesn't always mean bad or damaged.
Guitars:
Try using a Peavey Sheffield Cab especially the 5150/6505 speakers/cabs depending on the route you want to go. The bottom end is tight and thick. Infact my cabs I use 5150 speakers and V30's and it's perfect the V30 is the bit brighter higher end range covered and I get a fatter Bottom on the Peaveys
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
I am not a fan of sheffield speakers. BUT peavey makes nice cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My favorite "tight bottom end" 1x12 is the Mesa Theile cab with an EV-L or an Eminence Delta Pro 12A in it.

Both speakers will handle up to 400W, both have great low-end characteristics and both are perfect for that cabinet.

But here's the thing: I don't think that Laney has enough power to produce "tight bottom end." This is especially true if you're turning it up to work with a band.
If you're getting crap bottom end, look first to your head. It takes four times as much power to produce a note one octave lower at the same volume (SPL). If your solos and riffs on the upper strings sound fine, realize that your open low E string is three octaves below your high E string's 12th fret. That means that it needs 64 times as much power to produce the same volume as what you need for that 12th fret on the high E that's doing a great job on a solo or riff. I can do the math that will tell you what power you're likely using to get a volume with the high E to live with a drummer, and from there you can pretty much guess what it takes to produce the same clean volume with your low end. Hell, 100W Marshall stacks routinely run out of power for low end. And you can't really mike a small amp effectively under those conditions unless you're capable of keeping out ambient state noise (like that loud drummer and the other amps).
Just a FWIW -- I run a 1500W solid state power amp through two 900W-capable cabinets that can produce down to around 35Hz. Obviously for a six-string guitar that's not necessary, but I'm the Master Of Overkill. I'd rather have too much under the hood than not enough. For guitar, a single cabinet will do, and the amp just happens to put out 800W into the 8-ohm load of a single cabinet. I picked the power amp because it weighs 9 pounds and was right around $300. It needs a preamp, and that can be anything from the preamp on your Laney to a Mesa Triaxis (tube preamp) to a Line 6 Pod. I don't mike it for a band -- I usually output from the preamp directly to the mixer on the PA and just use the cabinet for stage volume and front fill (the people stage front who normally can't hear the PA on the sides).
Quote by dspellman
Just a FWIW -- I run a 1500W solid state power amp through two 900W-capable cabinets

Jesus christ. I am very impressed. But I have one question: why?
Guitars: