Hi all, I'm right into rockabilly and am looking to buy a Gretsch real soon. As my backup guitar I am going to keep my sonic blue Tele Baja but I would love to get a Bigsby type tremolo for it. I am just looking for advice on which ones would be best, do I want to be going for a Bigsby or is there a decent cheaper alternative? If anyone can give me some kit/model numbers for compatible tremolos that would be awesome chaps.

Many thanks in advance!
Thank you wonderful guitar peeps! I really really like either the Bigsby or the Hipshot Bender, I want something chunky like them but can anyone tell me if one rather then the other is better for guitar staying in tune when using the tremolo please? I want my guitar to be reliable, I had a Gretsch G5120 with Bigsby and the damn thing would go out of tune immediately after I used the bigsby.

Any advice is very much appreciated guys!
It's not usually the unit itself, the setup and cut of the nut is really important to tuning stability with a trem. Get a good tech to set it up and then show you how to keep it adjusted and the nut lubricated properly. I'd think about installing a graphite nut as well.

Unfortunately your options are a bit thin.
The Bigsby will install fairly easily but it's an ancient design and it takes some tweaking to set up right, plus the range is not great. Any large dives are going to start to pull it out of tune.

The Trem king needs some invasive routing, probably not worth it.

The Hipshot is a completely different product, it only bends one string at a time. It's also a major pain in the ass to install, and they're not cheap.

There are a few more aftermarket trems out there for Teles, but in general they're crap. It's pretty hard to add a decent trem to a guitar without a lot of routing or other invasive modification. I think your best options are to get a Bigsby and learn to live with it, or trade the guitar for another that already has a trem.
Quote by bootcutboy
Thank you wonderful guitar peeps! I really really like either the Bigsby or the Hipshot Bender, I want something chunky like them but can anyone tell me if one rather then the other is better for guitar staying in tune when using the tremolo please? I want my guitar to be reliable, I had a Gretsch G5120 with Bigsby and the damn thing would go out of tune immediately after I used the bigsby.

I think you probably want a different guitar. A Bigsby will go out of tune pretty easily, and I'm not aware of a reliable fix, and there really isn't a good second choice. You've already had a Gretsch with a Bigsby and you're going back that direction, so you probably already know what to expect.

Other trems aren't "chunky" in the same way and the ones that work very well need routing and either a locking nut or a behind-the-nut string lock (Kahler, Floyd). A Wilkinson style trem needs the same routing setup as a Floyd but if you don't have the bar installed, you'll barely know it's there (it's close enough to a hard tail otherwise) and doesn't offer the same "return to tune" as a Floyd (though it would likely be significantly better in this regard than a Bigsby).
Quote by bootcutboy

The Hipshot Bender is not a tremolo. Like Roc said, it bends one string at a time. The idea is that it gives you precise mechanical bends similar to the A pedal on a pedal steel and so it allows you to incorporate some very basic but effective pedal steel elements. It's a lot more unique and in my opinion musically versatile compared to a tremolo.

I would disagree with Roc about it being a hard install. The only difficulty is that you probably need someone with metalworking experience to drill though the bridge but Hipshot also offers a great replacement bridge with pre drilled holes and other companies do as well.

The actual cost of the unit is 100-140 depending on if you go with the basic model or the model with the D-tuner and G lever as well and the bridge from Hipshot is 80 but you could probably get both cheaper with discounts. You still probably will need to modify or replace the bridge on the Tele to put on a decent tremolo since the back lip of the ashtray gets in the way and I would imagine you would need similar routing holes as would be needed for the Hipshot Bender.
*your ad here*
Hmm. I've never had a problem with Bigsbys & tuning. Perhaps it is because of the tuners & nuts on my guitars that have them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmm. I've never had a problem with Bigsbys & tuning. Perhaps it is because of the tuners & nuts on my guitars that have them.

could be or perhaps you are better in their actual use. not the same animal as a fender style trem or certainly any of the locking varieties. there is technique involved that has to be learned.
If it the only options for why I'm not having problems are better parts vs my technique...bet on the parts.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.