I play a $300 LTD guitar with a 24.75 inch scale, in Drop C tuning with Daddario Nickel Wound .011s on (the gauges are .050, .038. .028, .018, .014 and .011 from top to bottom), and I really don't like the tension I'm getting, especially on the sixth string that's tuned to C2 - it's way too flabby. On the other hand, I have a strat with 0.10s in standard tuning (also Daddario) and they feel just fine, so I took those same strings, put them on my LTD and tuned them up to standard tuning. The reason I did that is that the Strat has a slightly longer scale so I wanted to make sure that they work just as well on the LTD.

As expected, they worked fine, I really liked the tension they were giving me, so I now want to achieve this same kind of tension on my LTD.

Now, I looked up a string tension calculator to help me figure out what kind of strings I need in order to achieve a similar tension, and after a bit of playing around I came up with two potentially ideal combinations - one that's a bit lighter than the desired tension, and one that's a bit heavier.

So here's my original tension (with .010s on the LTD, in standard tuning):

Here's the lighter one (for Drop C):

And this is the heavier one:

As you can see, the overall tension of the new sets is just a few lbs higher or lower than the original set, because the strings are tuned down a whole step, plus two steps for the sixth string. But what really concerns me is that sixth string gauge. Both .056 and .059 sound like way too much and I'm not sure whether such a thick string will pull on my neck too much and damage it. I've heard people say that they use sets of .011 for Drop C and that it works just fine for them, and sets like that rarely have a sixth string thicker than, say, .048 or .050.

I should mention that all of the info for the tension calculator is based on Daddario strings, as they are (AFAIK at least) the only company that has publicized relevant information about their strings, such as the string's unit weight (which is needed in order to calculate the tension). Therefore I'll most likely be sticking with Daddario so I know exactly what I'm putting my guitar through.

So, any idea what I should do? Should I go for the lighter gauge, the heavier gauge? Are there any dangers? Any and all advice that you have would be greatly appreciated.
You've done the research here. The tension, total lbs, you have above is what pulls on the neck. The thickness of the strings offsets the amount of tension needed for a particular tuning as you have shown above.

I'd personally go with the slightly heavier strings but it's all preference.

You won't damage anything but you will have to setup the guitar for the tuning and strings (nut, relief, action).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
You've done the research here. The tension, total lbs, you have above is what pulls on the neck. The thickness of the strings offsets the amount of tension needed for a particular tuning as you have shown above.

I'd personally go with the slightly heavier strings but it's all preference.

You won't damage anything but you will have to setup the guitar for the tuning and strings (nut, relief, action).

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm a total newb concerning actually setting up my guitar, so I can only guess that the truss rod needs to be tightened (because the strings will pull with greater tension, resulting in an upward bow in the neck), and the string holes in the nut need to be widened because the strings are thicker. Is this correct? And I'm not exactly certain how it will affect the action o.O