Hi guys! I need some help please! I'm a intermediate player who is getting into the whole 80's metal thing. I'm into Judas Priest and I want some assistance regarding gear used by them and if you have possibly some amp and pedal settings. Thanks
Quote by Werner232
Hi guys! I need some help please! I'm a intermediate player who is getting into the whole 80's metal thing. I'm into Judas Priest and I want some assistance regarding gear used by them and if you have possibly some amp and pedal settings. Thanks

which albums? your basic Priest tone is pretty much Marshall JCM 800 with a tubecreamer in front. as mentioned what gear do you have and perhaps you could give some examples of songs you like the tone from. it's not a hard tone to get really
Priest vary wildly from album to album. Basically, all their more successful albums were cut with producers that rode them hard and picked the tones for them. If you notice, their early career stuff was quite dry in modern context, almost what you'd call crunch settings. I'd say Plexi or JCM800 PTP Marshall amps with some overdrive in front.
The later career success, which was Painkiller, Glenn Tipton had more reign on the production and on that one I think they used mainly JMP-1 with Marshall Monobloc power amps and they toured with that setup up until Halford came back into the band. RIght now, I am not quite sure, I think the new guitarist uses Blackstar Artisan heads which are close in sound to the original JCM800s.

I get a great Priest early to mid career tone ("Sad Wings..." to "British Steel") using a Laney AOR50 head through 2x12 with Celestion G12T-75 speakers and a Voodoolab Sparkle Drive. That'd be the budget version of that sound. I think you can get it with a Marshall JCM2000 on some milder settings as well. On the upper range of amps, maybe Fryette Pittbull or Sig X, JCM800 or Plexi (preferably the PTP version), or Friedman Marshall clones, but these are $$$$.

I think there was another Marshall clone that a lot of guys on this forum recommended a few years ago but can't recall the name, maybe it was the Splawn Hot Rod?
Quote by diabolical
Priest vary wildly from album to album. Basically, all their more successful albums were cut with producers that rode them hard and picked the tones for them. If you notice, their early career stuff was quite dry in modern context, almost what you'd call crunch settings. I'd say Plexi or JCM800 PTP Marshall amps with some overdrive in front.
The later career success, which was Painkiller, Glenn Tipton had more reign on the production and on that one I think they used mainly JMP-1 with Marshall Monobloc power amps and they toured with that setup up until Halford came back into the band. RIght now, I am not quite sure, I think the new guitarist uses Blackstar Artisan heads which are close in sound to the original JCM800s.

I get a great Priest early to mid career tone ("Sad Wings..." to "British Steel") using a Laney AOR50 head through 2x12 with Celestion G12T-75 speakers and a Voodoolab Sparkle Drive. That'd be the budget version of that sound. I think you can get it with a Marshall JCM2000 on some milder settings as well. On the upper range of amps, maybe Fryette Pittbull or Sig X, JCM800 or Plexi (preferably the PTP version), or Friedman Marshall clones, but these are $$$$.

I think there was another Marshall clone that a lot of guys on this forum recommended a few years ago but can't recall the name, maybe it was the Splawn Hot Rod?

I can get pretty close on the 70s to early 80s stuff with my Valveking and my CM-2 overdrive. not really that hard. the later tones are a bit more difficult as they got away from the basic setup. I've played thru the Marshall DSL40c and that produces tones that work fine for say Breaking The Law or Living After Midnight. you are very right about the producers and the production on the albums which does vary (although the actual basic tones don't seem to)
The late 80s (Painkiller) and the Ripper Owens era was more of a thrashy setup and they seem to have toned down some of that in their later productions after Halford got back. Honestly, I haven't listened much since Ripper was let go as the newer songs are just not that good.
Quote by diabolical
The late 80s (Painkiller) and the Ripper Owens era was more of a thrashy setup and they seem to have toned down some of that in their later productions after Halford got back. Honestly, I haven't listened much since Ripper was let go as the newer songs are just not that good.

well they still have a heavier sound than the classic era. I haven't gotten their most recent album (I know for shame). I like a fair bit of the newer material but rob isn't what he used to be for sure. still better than a lot of the new metal out there.
Thought I read somewhere that they are using one of the 4 channel Engls these days. Maybe the Powerball II.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Thanks. Looking for the sound between British Steel and Pain Killer. I've got a Ibanez S270 and have a Joyo Hot Plexi pedal that create a good copy of the JCM800 tone. I use a Nux Mighty 50 modeler amp and I use a 6 band EQ pedal as well. For overdrive I have a Boss OD2R Turbo Over drive.
I think I remember reading something somewhere about Priest using ENGLs somewhat recently. But then again, it's Priest, and they've used a ton of different setups over the years (it could be something else already).

Classic Priest tones are definitely a raging Marshall Super Lead/JMP/JCM 800 with a boost type of tone. Don't be shy with the mids and treble, don't go crazy with the low end, and use a fair amount of gain. That should get you in the ballpark, where you can fine-tune it from there.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
From Point of Entry to Turbo Lover they used a lot of Chorus to get that washed out hollow distortion sound. Basically everyone was hooked on Chorus in the 80s.
Quote by Werner232
Thanks. Looking for the sound between British Steel and Pain Killer. I've got a Ibanez S270 and have a Joyo Hot Plexi pedal that create a good copy of the JCM800 tone. I use a Nux Mighty 50 modeler amp and I use a 6 band EQ pedal as well. For overdrive I have a Boss OD2R Turbo Over drive.

Can't speak for the amp, but the pedals you have should get you close enough. Their sound evolved but if you go with a Screamin for Vengence tone (in the middle), you should be able to get close to the others by reducing/increasing gain. For that album, it is a thin bright tone, not a lot of bass or mids. I would try pushing the joyo pedal with the tone high (3/4) and the distortion low (start with it all the way down). Try that with the amp first (low mids and bass). Add volume to see how close you get. If necessary, you can use the OD pedal to help as a small boost. But it shouldn't take a lot. Volume on the amp should get you close.

Once you get close, add back a little base/mids and make any fine tuning until you get there.
Quote by MAChiefs
Can't speak for the amp, but the pedals you have should get you close enough. Their sound evolved but if you go with a Screamin for Vengence tone (in the middle), you should be able to get close to the others by reducing/increasing gain. For that album, it is a thin bright tone, not a lot of bass or mids. I would try pushing the joyo pedal with the tone high (3/4) and the distortion low (start with it all the way down). Try that with the amp first (low mids and bass). Add volume to see how close you get. If necessary, you can use the OD pedal to help as a small boost. But it shouldn't take a lot. Volume on the amp should get you close.

if he had a tube amp then this would likely work but he has a cheap modeling amp so kinda doubt he'd get the desired effect.

Once you get close, add back a little base/mids and make any fine tuning until you get there.