My lowest chest voice note is A2 (not comfortable) and maybe Ab2. My highest head voice (I think it's head) is g6. It's not breathy at all, so I don't think that it's falestto. But I can growl out a G1. That's what this thread is about! What kind of register is that? My dad is a bass or bass baritone, and he goes down to C2, and I kind of want to "impress" him by going lower :P That's why I want to learn more about this growling/vocal fry thingies... Here are all the G's (g1,lowest chest notes,g3,g4,g5,g6)

G1 (??? What register? What even is that?)
Lowest chest notes (A2, Ab2)
G3 (chest)
G4(chest)
G5 (head voice)
G6 (??? Whistle?? What is that?)

https://soundcloud.com/user-273126634/g1-g6
Last edited by Colja123 at Oct 15, 2016,
Colja123
I have no idea wtf is that thing at the beggining, kinda sounds like growling or as you are , but it wouldn't count as anything usable, definately not counting as a part of vocal range. Weird to say, but you do actually sound a lot like me in your mid range and I'm well after puberty...

I also don't know why, but it sounds like you are going into your head voice really quickly.

Could you sing anything that goes from 3th octave into at least half of the 4th?
Quote by CrossX32
Colja123
I have no idea wtf is that thing at the beggining, kinda sounds like growling or as you are , but it wouldn't count as anything usable, definately not counting as a part of vocal range. Weird to say, but you do actually sound a lot like me in your mid range and I'm well after puberty...

I also don't know why, but it sounds like you are going into your head voice really quickly.

Could you sing anything that goes from 3th octave into at least half of the 4th?

I'll make a vid later! And I use chest, but I have a very light voice! I'll sing an A4, and I'll try A#4 (it will be a bit strained). I'll do it tomorrow probably.
Colja123
Don't do just a single note it would say pretty much nothing. It's hard to differentiate single tones. A countertenor would sound like a girl (totally heady sound, thin and light), wherease a bass would sound on the same note (if he had the same range) really thick and heavy. Even his head voice would be strong.

Sing, don't do notes. But if that in your upper range was chest, then there's pretty much no point of trying to classify you or whatever. You're going through puberty, unless you're a countertenor. You sound really, really femine.
Quote by CrossX32
Colja123
Don't do just a single note it would say pretty much nothing. It's hard to differentiate single tones. A countertenor would sound like a girl (totally heady sound, thin and light), wherease a bass would sound on the same note (if he had the same range) really thick and heavy. Even his head voice would be strong.

Sing, don't do notes. But if that in your upper range was chest, then there's pretty much no point of trying to classify you or whatever. You're going through puberty, unless you're a countertenor. You sound really, really femine.

I highly doubt I'm a countertenor, since I top out at A#4 (highest note I can hold in chest voice) I can scream out a B4 but it's not good :P. I'll sing rock n roll from led zeppelin, but the live version! And is it possible that it sounds feminine because it was really late, so I had to sing quietly. I didn't use much air, I just sang it quietly. Well, I did use some air, but I did it as quiet as possible!
Quote by CrossX32
Colja123

Oh, another thing. My voice started changing 1 year ago (that's when I noticed that I couldn't hold an E5 anymore, I could even hold a G5 O.o). It was changing every week. But now it hasn't changed in a long time. Maybe 2 months, I don't quite remember.
Colja, if you're not even 15 yet, then maybe you should take things about your voice somewhat slower? Don't get me wrong, it's awesome you're enthusiastic and asking stuff on the forums! It's just that with your voice still changing, it would be more productive to hold the vocal range questions until a bit later, when the rules of the game don't get blown out the window every month . The fact that your voice has been the same the last 2 months doesn't really mean much, those things kind of come and go and your voice will definitely keep changing.

I turned 20 in May and my voice still deepens somewhat. Somewhere around easy E2 to easy F#2, depends on the time of day. Can do some fry notes just below C2 if my throat isn't dry. Those notes were weaker and more strained just a couple of years ago and I couldn't do fry at all. These things happened even though I have practiced singing very little in the last year and a half. Just voice changes doin' its thing. Hell, the end of my teens even did stuff for my upper range! 2 years ago I was frustrated over not being able to reliably hit anything higher than a strained G4 in chest / mix. Somehow I became able to do easy A4's in the meantime. It was definitely not because of my "hard work".

Just trying to give a bit of an example here. Things will still change a lot, though it is very hard to keep patient with the voice, I know . You'll probably be a lot happier doing songs that play to your current strengths, so definitely no low growling. It's okay to do them a bit, but if done improperly can really start hurting.

Cheers!
Last edited by Navi_96 at Oct 19, 2016,
Quote by Navi_96
Colja, if you're not even 15 yet, then maybe you should take things about your voice somewhat slower? Don't get me wrong, it's awesome you're enthusiastic and asking stuff on the forums! It's just that with your voice still changing, it would be more productive to hold the vocal range questions until a bit later, when the rules of the game don't get blown out the window every month . The fact that your voice has been the same the last 2 months doesn't really mean much, those things kind of come and go and your voice will definitely keep changing.

I turned 20 in May and my voice still deepens somewhat. Somewhere around easy E2 to easy F#2, depends on the time of day. Can do some fry notes just below C2 if my throat isn't dry. Those notes were weaker and more strained just a couple of years ago and I couldn't do fry at all. These things happened even though I have practiced singing very little in the last year and a half. Just voice changes doin' its thing. Hell, the end of my teens even did stuff for my upper range! 2 years ago I was frustrated over not being able to reliably hit anything higher than a strained G4 in chest / mix. Somehow I became able to do easy A4's in the meantime. It was definitely not because of my "hard work".

Just trying to give a bit of an example here. Things will still change a lot, though it is very hard to keep patient with the voice, I know . You'll probably be a lot happier doing songs that play to your current strengths, so definitely no low growling. It's okay to do them a bit, but if done improperly can really start hurting.

Cheers!

Yes, it is very very hard to keep patient :P I'm just scared :P And I also heard that vocal mutation "settles" by the age of 15 (for most). And by settles I mean that you can approximately determine his type. Is this true? Oh, and another question! Why do all tenors (let's say michael anthony, glenn hughes) talk with a very high voice on concerts? Let's say glenn hughes, he screams "LONDON" in C#5 O.o that's obviously not chest, and same goes for michael anthony, he screams "are you ready to fucking rock?" in C5 (also not chest). Do they do this to make their voices appear high? Because I doubt that they can scream/talk in C5 :P
I don't know if the vocal type can be categorized at 15 or later. Perhaps somebody else on the forum can tell more about that. The vocal type may or may not settle at 15, but the color of the voice, the notes it can produce - those are very far from coming firmly into place. Michael Jackson could dish out some solid stuff around G2, and he had an incredibly high, bright, and boyish voice, even when he was a middle-aged man. I wouldn't worry about the lower range one bit.

So when you say you're "scared", I'm guessing you don't really talk about your vocal type, more the notes you will be able to produce. From where you're standing, it'll most likely take an unnervingly long time, but you can count on sounding far from boyish relatively soon.

As for why they yell out the "are you ready" bits so high? Cuz thay can do it while sounding fucking powerful is why. A bass or baritone might be able to, but it doesn't ring the same as a tenor. Unless you're Corey Taylor. Then you can scream it at any pitch and sound badass
Quote by Navi_96
I don't know if the vocal type can be categorized at 15 or later. Perhaps somebody else on the forum can tell more about that. The vocal type may or may not settle at 15, but the color of the voice, the notes it can produce - those are very far from coming firmly into place. Michael Jackson could dish out some solid stuff around G2, and he had an incredibly high, bright, and boyish voice, even when he was a middle-aged man. I wouldn't worry about the lower range one bit.

So when you say you're "scared", I'm guessing you don't really talk about your vocal type, more the notes you will be able to produce. From where you're standing, it'll most likely take an unnervingly long time, but you can count on sounding far from boyish relatively soon.

As for why they yell out the "are you ready" bits so high? Cuz thay can do it while sounding fucking powerful is why. A bass or baritone might be able to, but it doesn't ring the same as a tenor. Unless you're Corey Taylor. Then you can scream it at any pitch and sound badass

Yes, I do not worry about what type I'll be. I'm scared about being able to still hit those notes! If I'll be a baritone, and train that I can hit C5s with a very chesty mix (ken tamplin), then I won't be worried about being a baritone. If not, then I will be... Oh btw, take a listen to this

0:20.
here's he's "talking" (more like screaming) in A#4 and C#5 O.o That's not chest voice, is it?