Lately I've been wanting to get a better tone our of my guitar and amp. I don't have an anything expensive for amp/ pedals/ guitar.

I have an Gibson Sg and an Ibanez Rg series for guitars.
I made a cheap pedal board which has Big muff, Cry baby wah wah, Analog Delay, Ultimate Drive distortion pedal and a compressor.
The amp is a roland cube 20 and it seems pretty good so far.. This has Chorus and Reverb and stuff...

I've been trying to get a thick tone for doing leads and licks all over. What I have is alright but it seems kinda flat and thin...This all could be because my equipment is cheap... I don't really know how to use the different pickups to well and I have been just putting the switch all the way down for both guitars. Also I play with my fingers not a pick, I think that does make a tone difference.... I do realize now that the speaker in the amp isn't good for the lower sounds, I'm not surprised... What are some good amps to upgrade to that don't cost like 2 grand but still can get the job done?
Last edited by jeremyjlerch at Oct 16, 2016,
I think you're expecting a bit too much to demand a thick, heavy high gain tone when you're only using a Cube 20. A Cube 20 doesn't even have a 12" speaker iirc so no wonder you're having difficulty reproducing bass.

The Crybaby wah has a terrible bypass that filters out a load of high end, even when you're not using it. Given your current amp situation that might not necessarily be a bad thing. But you'll want to mod it to true bypass when you get a better amp.

Playing with your fingers instead of a pick will make a huge difference to your guitar tone as well. Some people can make it work, but it requires a lot of experience, good gear and careful EQ'ing to get it to sound like you're using a pick. It's just much easier to actually use one than to try and compensate for your lack of one.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 15, 2016,
^ depending on what other pedals he has, putting a buffered pedal in front of the crybaby may well sort out the tonesuck of its half-assed bypass.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

what type of stuff exactly are you trying to play. really heavy stuff is usually played with a pick for starters so you may want to start there. EQ settings are important as well. guitars like mids and that is where you will find thicker tones as well. often beginners go nuts with the distortion which if to much can actually make the tone thinner and sound like a can of bees. pretty sure those have a small speaker so don't expect great bass response. you can also run the amp on a clean setting and use your Muff for a fairly thick sound
You may want to look into a new amp, roland 20 is great practice amp but you won't be getting those super full, thick sounds, there's nothing wrong with your pedals or anything, simply that amp doesnt have the headroom to produce what I assume you're looking for, depending on how, what, and where you play would help out in deciding a good amp that'd get you want you want (I doubt you need much of an upgrade which is good news!)
monwobobbo I don't go to nuts on the distortion but I'm starting to think that my finger-style is making the tone how it is. What I am kinda aiming for in my tone is similar to AC DC Angus Young. I love his thick tones. I've been using my Ultimate Drive distortion pedal on my clean tone and I really like the big muff on the clean channel as well, although the Muff doesn't sound to good with chords power chords.
I could get pretty thick distortion lead tone while playing through a Roland Cube in my local guitar shop using an Epiphone Les Paul using the amp distortion settings.

Maybe you want to check ur EQ Settings and your pedal orders. If everything seems to be in order, maybe you can check your signal chain because I've heard a lot of words that a Cry Baby Wah will suck out your tone quite a bit (mentioned by T00DEEPBLUE above).

Signal chain tends to be Wah > Compressor > Overdrive > Distortion > Delay

Normally for a gain sound I would run my distortion into a gain channel with super low gain on the amp itself and if I ever need to boost it I always turn on my Clean Overdrive. I've also remembered Big Muff (not sure if you're using the Pi or not) can get quite thin when it's all the way up so maybe you can try turning it down a little. Haven't actually got your gear before but this should be the general idea

For me, I run my Boss DS-1 into dirty channel of my amp on low gain with high volume
Settings would roughly be Tone at 35-40%, Level at about 1 to 2 o'clock and Gain at about 80-100% depending on guitars i'm using
The Clean overdrive (TS Copy) settings would roughly be Level at about 2 to 3 o'clock, Gain about 8 to 9 o'clock and Tone at about 60-70% to boost the higher ends and clean a little of the lower ends

Works for me to get a very dark rythem tone if I need and the OD helps me to get a clearer lead tone due to the higher EQ settings
Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM 2011

Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro 2015
Last edited by noobyXD at Oct 16, 2016,
Quote by jeremyjlerch
monwobobbo I don't go to nuts on the distortion but I'm starting to think that my finger-style is making the tone how it is. What I am kinda aiming for in my tone is similar to AC DC Angus Young. I love his thick tones. I've been using my Ultimate Drive distortion pedal on my clean tone and I really like the big muff on the clean channel as well, although the Muff doesn't sound to good with chords power chords.

why are you using finger style? I'd think that your amp could approximate that type of tone by itself using the onboard fx. Angus is all about power tube distortion which isn't easy to duplicate exactly. I'd use a little bit of overdrive and that should do the trick along with careful tone control adjustments.
monwobobbo I've always used finger style and never practiced with the pick much. I didn't want to have to practice 2 styles and just decided to stick with fingers. I actually did improve my tone alot today but using different pickups and a bit of flanger. made a good sound. I put the switch all the way up on my Ibanez so I think that means its the neck pickup? haha... I'm so rookie... lol
Quote by jeremyjlerch
monwobobbo I've always used finger style and never practiced with the pick much. I didn't want to have to practice 2 styles and just decided to stick with fingers. I actually did improve my tone alot today but using different pickups and a bit of flanger. made a good sound. I put the switch all the way up on my Ibanez so I think that means its the neck pickup? haha... I'm so rookie... lol

well I hope you realize that finger style won't be very effective for certain types of music. a good deal of rock is played with a pick and there are certain dynamics that you just can't get with fingers. electric guitar is a different beast than acoustic despite both being guitars. I suggest you look into some jeff beck as he uses his fingers for the most part these days (but even jeff uses a pick when needed)

yes your pickup selector switch all the way forward would be for the neck pickup. I suggest you learn all the controls on your guitar so you know what you are doing.