Hi there,

After many years I've decided to modify my trusty super strat. This will be a full remake of the electronics, starting from the pickups. I'm putting the following

Dimarzio bridge and neck humbuckers (DP216 and DP425 respectively), and Dimarzio middle single coil (to be decided). Single volume knob and no tone. Standard Stratocaster 5 way switch.

What I’m trying to achieve is an auto coil splitting setup for positions 2 & 4 of a 5 position strat switch. In summary this is what I’m trying to achieve

1. Bridge HB (split w/ on-on DPDT)
2. Bridge HB Split (auto) + middle SC
3. Middle SC
4. Neck HB Split (auto) + Middle SC
5. Neck HB (split w/ on-on DPDT)

I'm aware this is nothing new. The complexity on my setup comes as I'm doing away with the tone pot and putting in place a Series/Parallel /single coil switch for the neck and bridge humbuckers, if I wish to use just the neck or bridge pickup, but I'm unsure how to achieve this. I suspect I need 3PDT ON-ON-ON switch of some sort but I'm unsure how to wire this. My desired configuration for this would be as follows, but I'm open to suggestions

1. Series
2. Parallel
3. Single

Your help would be greatly appreciated
Ok, this is what I've got so far

I think this would give me

1. Bridge HB (Series/single/Parallel w/ on-on-on DPDT)
2. Bridge HB + Middle SC (not auto)
3. Middle SC
4. Neck HB + Middle SC (not auto)
5. Neck HB (Series/single/Parallel w/ on-on-on DPDT)

plus

1. Series
2. Single
3. Parallel

Your help and feedback will be very much appreciated

I dunno anything about the wiring, but why have you decided on a neck satch track for your bridge position?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

LOL, I've just noticed the labelling is incorrect, Thanks for raising that up. The pickup models are the same and the bridge is the one at the top. I've updated the diagram
Last edited by andresmunoz.au at Oct 17, 2016,
haha yeah that makes more sense
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

So I've settled for the following, as I think it will give me the closest to my desired configuration while at the same time minimising the cosmetic changes to the guitar, as I only need to drill a single hole for the DPDT blower switch. Let me know your thoughts... and if you can suggest a single coil to match the character of the bridge and neck pickups it would be very much appreciated.

i haven't tried either of those pickups but if you want something to match the output of the unsplit humbuckers you're probably going to want to look on the hotter end of things. If you don't have autosplits the humbuckers will most likely pretty severely overpower the middle single if you use a vintage output (or even vintage hot) single.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman