When I play my electric guitar with my fingers (which is my main style) I notice that the tone is alot worse than when I try to use a pick. Is this normal or is it a technique thing or what..? my goal is to have a good lead tone with a bit of over drive on it. Something good for some basic shredding. I am using an Ibanez guitar, can't remember what it is... lol
Last edited by jeremyjlerch at Oct 16, 2016,
Mostly technique. Some gear/settings. Some personal taste- you may just not care for finger style electric.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
A bit of both, mostly technique but you can also adjust a bit with EQ. Taking the pick out of the equation removes some treble and a lot more output than you might think. You can't put pick attack back in the signal, of course, but bumping the treble/presence and hitting the preamp with a boost of some sort might help if you don't like how it sounds right now.
I only fingerpick, and I find electric really difficult compared to acoustic. Mostly too much sustain, and a tendency to end up with sonic mush is you don't stay squeaky clean. I think that you have to develop a leaner style and good string damping skills.
Technique mostly, Warren Haynes mostly plays finger style but keeps a pick cupped in his hand for when more attack is needed for lead parts and such, Kinda odd watching his videos, one second you see him finger style and the next he's using a pick, I've tried it, harder than it looks so I gave up and pretty much stick to finger style these days
jeremyjlerch

It's partly a technique thing and partly the fact that you're using magnetic pickups with skinny strings and a (presumably) solid body guitar. The overall effect is not "a lot worse" but it can be different.

Worth noting that it's very possible to have an acoustic sounding result (if that's what you're after) by using piezo saddles on the guitar (several guitars come so equipped and most can be -- see Graphtech Ghost saddles for an example). The Taylor T5 is an electric guitar which uses an under-saddle setup to allow *very* acoustic response. And, of course, there are Variax guitars (both the Variax electrics and the Acoustic 700) which do a great job of producing acoustic sounds from what are essentially solid-body electric guitars.

So beyond getting an acoustic sound (with the attendant short sustain/high attack characteristics), you'll need to refine your technique as well.