Okay. I use an HM-2 in my band to add underneath the tone of our lead player, if that makes sense. I'm running it through a Peavey 5150 II and playing a standard tele. I love using the HM-2 to give extra push and add that super fuzzy and crunchy sound. When I let it just sit, it makes for the absolute WORST feedback. I tried to shut it up with a Decimator and that didn't work. So, I tried an NS-2 today. Did it work? Nope. Of course, I played with knobs. Suggestions on how to make it be a not bitch?
Might be time for some noiseless tele pickups. That's a shitload of gain with single coils. Can you try it with a humbucker or noiseless pickup guitar to see if that's the issue?
There are several ways to make an HM-2 work with a 5150 II. One thing I'll tell you right up front is to ignore advice that says "turn all the knobs to 10." That shit doesn't work with a 5150. Both EQ knobs turned to 10 does, in fact, give you the Left Hand Path tone. But running the distortion knob all the way up just turns it into a buzzy mess.

One method I discovered with my 6505+ (same as a 5150 II), is to run the HM-2 in the effects loop, using the amp's lead channel on pretty normal settings, and the HM-2's distortion knob set at ZERO. Run the level on the pedal enough so that it provides the same volume when turned either on or off. This will yield a tone that is just as tight as the amp by itself, but will add some low-end thickness and buzzsaw effect (not as extreme as the sounds on Left Hand Path though; it's more of an At the Gate's Slaughter of the Soul tone.) Until recently, that was the only way I could get my HM-2 to work with my 6505.

But just a few weeks ago, I found out how to use it in front of the amp instead of the effects loop. The key is to use your lead channel, but turn your preamp gain down to about 1 (almost to the point where the lead channel actually turns into a clean channel). Play around with settings right around 1, or just slightly above. The idea is you're using the HM-2 to boost that into death metal territories. Still, set the pedal EQ knobs pretty much to 10, but distortion at zero or just slightly bumped up. The pedal provides a crazy amount of gain, even with the distortion knob zero'd. Play around with the blend between amp gain and pedal gain -- but at this point you'll probably find it sounds exactly like the tone on Left Hand Path and/or Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage. For the longest time, when I tried this method I just had too much amp gain dialed in and it just became a fizzy, oversaturated mess that wouldn't respond to palm-muting appropriately. But once I learned to really back off the amp gain it became controllable and GNARLY. In fact, I'm at the end stages of doing a cover of "So You Die" by Bloodbath that I'll share soon. You'll still need a noise gate, but my NS-2 in the 4-cable method controls it just fine.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 16, 2016,
You're supposed to run the HM-2 through the clean channel. You're not supposed to run it to boost the dirty channel. Otherwise you are ruining the natural sound of tye pedal. Also that would give you less gain which would mean less feedback.
*your ad here*
I've had the best results running it dirty, with the drive on the pedal nearly off (but not all the way off). The tone knobs and volume boost color the tone enough to get that buzzsaw sound with a light setting on the distortion knob. Very "Trap Them" sounding.

Like seriously if you run it clean with the drive high, palm mutes have absolutely no clarity and it's a muddy mess.

BUT, another option is to run clean, but put a tube screamer in front of it and crank the tone knob a bit. That gets a nice sound.
Quote by Ignite

Like seriously if you run it clean with the drive high, palm mutes have absolutely no clarity and it's a muddy mess.

Yup. The only way I've ever had that work was with the pedal through a solid state amp. But on a 6505, nope. Even the clean channel has more gain than most amps' clean channels. The HM-2 doesn't get that trademark sound from having its distortion knob maxed anyway; there is very little difference in tone between running it just above zero and maxed. You're just increasing noise and pushing the thing into feedback zone. Where "the" tone comes from is having the EQ knobs maxed, or close to it. When using it to boost the lead channel (or the rhythm channel w/ crunch boost on works as well), the pedal is still very much the dominant tone you hear, but since the pedal is relatively dialed back you can still hear palm mutes and individual notes. This is only with a 6505 though, I don't know about any other amps. It is a very finicky pedal.

And if you do some research, a lot of bands used it in other ways and still got amazing results. One of my favorite album tones ever -- In Flames' The Jester Race used an HM-2, but didn't go for quite the same tone as some of the typical Stockholm bands. Same with At The Gates. The point is, experiment with the thing.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 17, 2016,
While not the same pedal, i used to enjoy my guitar teachers tone running an MT2 as a boost for his Dual Rec a-la Cannibal Corpse.

I'd imagine it yields decent results
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by KailM
Yup. The only way I've ever had that work was with the pedal through a solid state amp.

Which is exactly how the sound was created by Nihilist and Entombed. I don't understand why people have so much trouble finding how to get the tone when the information on the gear and recording is readily available on the internet with minimal searching.
*your ad here*
^^Which is exactly why I explained how to get that tone with the GEAR I AND THE THREADSTARTER HAVE. Obviously the tone can be gotten by using the same equipment as the originators of the genre.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
theogonia777 It's not really that big an issue. I have a Supreme XL solid state and the HM-2 sounds SO much better through the 5150, I think. I just wanted to know the best way to keep my tone but stop the feedback. Thanks for letting me know I could read all about it and didn't have to post here. Definitely didn't do that twice.
^^^For what it's worth, we're talking about ridiculous amounts of gain here. The HM-2 is a monster even if you turn its gain all the way down. If you're playing loud at all, it's probably going to feedback no matter what you do if you stop playing and just let the guitar hang there without at least muting with your right hand. But the feedback shouldn't be so bad that it feeds back between palm muted riffs, if that makes any sense. I guess I've just gotten used to controlling feedback with two-handed muting and/or the guitar volume knob, but you should be able to find settings in which you're getting "the" tone but still have controllable feedback. I use my NS-2 to control unwanted preamp noise more than to address feedback. I feel like if the NS-2 isn't controlling your feedback even if you're muting the strings, then it is a settings issue (probably just too much gain altogether). Post back if you still aren't achieving what you need.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood